Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,208,386 times

Advertisements

Since this can fit in both sub-forums, I decided to post it in the main forum instead.

BBC News - Dutch rethink Christianity for a doubtful world

Your thoughts? The concept isn't anything new and there was a thread about this 2 years ago, but this is the first time I've seen this mentioned in the mainstream media. This reinforces my belief that if people generally stop believing in deities, it doesn't necessarily follow that religion will cease to exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
This is why Christianity has survived for 2,000 years, they change their beliefs to fit with the local desires. It pains me that they aren't fighting anti-agnosticism even harder; however, they are being co-agnostic merely for market purposes, because no one would go to their buildings if the message wasn't more open to the people's beliefs. They should just sell the buildings to more truely agnostic priests and pastors. I like the idea of metaphorically identifying and destroying the things which make this world inferior to our mind's goldie-locks. However, I warn against straiving for perfection, as such has usually been observed to be a mistake.

However, the Reverand makes a mistake in defining God as "human experience", though perhaps it could be his lack of fluency in English. In defining God as "human experience" he basically told the more traditional anti-agnostic Christians that he was worshiping something human. For most descendants of pagans, worshiping something that isn't litterally true, nor "supernatural" or "outside" our thinking and existing and observing...such worship... is not worshiping their believed God. what he should have said was that God wasn't supernatural, a lot of Christians are moving with the current trend that accepting the truth that "supernatural" is an oxymoron is good. They don't like a God which lives outside of logic, that would be no comfort for them, they want a God they can understand and relate to... like they did with the Ancient gods. You wouldn't see a lot of Ancient Europeans worshiping "good human experience" and you won't see their Christian descendants doing it either. "God isn't something like an apple pie" might have been the best quote I heard.

These people that go to his congregation and other Dutch congregations should understand that BBC, having a bias for more traditionally English Christianity, is trying to portray their faiths as "a new form" of Christianity, when infact these very people could have been the same kind of people that were following Jesus in his early days, as he ran around re-interpreting Ancient Jewdaic law. What these Dutch Christians should understand is that they are merely going back to their original roots, and ceasing to allow Literalist Bible idolatry. The early Christians and specifically the early apostles, didn't carry around Bibles, since they probably believed God spoke through their heart and conscience, as Abraham Lincoln believed.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 08-05-2011 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: to re-write and expand the previous comment, which was deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality