Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,532,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I don't eat peanut butter because it has a lot of carbs and some added sugar.
I tried some sugar free peanut butter and it was not good.
Try the organic peanut butter, nothing but peanuts and salt. It tastes great to me, just like eating plain salted peanuts would. No need for sugar in anything. Yes, they are beans and higher in carbs than regular nuts like pecans or almonds but still tasty. The organic is not that much more either, maybe $4 to $5 at most compared to $3 for the Skippy brand which is full of sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 10:40 AM

30,893 posts, read 19,511,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Eh, go with what works for you, I suppose. I don't particularly care to follow such restrictive diets, definitely not for life. I'm 43, so I have quite a few years left and wouldn't want to spend them not eating things I love, particularly beans, nuts, and grains. Beans have fiber, iron, protein...and for many vegetarians, that's a great option in lieu of meat. I just don't understand the drastic cutting of so many things all in the name of losing weight.

My thin friends don't buy into all that stuff, why is it that overweight people should? My friend, 70 years old, thin as a rail, largely eats what she likes. Her secret is pretty dang simple. She eats half the food when she goes out to lunch with me and eats the remaining half for dinner. She eats one or two tops of chocolate. She walks on her treadmill at 5 am daily.
Anyone that is happy with their diet and getting great results would have no motivation to change but for people that have diabetes and a giant gut like I had, hopefully are more motivated as I was.

I personally would have no interest in eating half my meal at lunch and the other half for dinner but if it works for her, great.

My goal was not so much losing weight as it was to reverse diabetes which I completely did and in the meantime, lost all of my gut and extra weight, cholesterol , tri-glycerides, blood pressure, weight all in the ideal range...if your diet is giving those type of results, then I can understand not changing it.

By the way, my bodyfat is down to 10% and muscle mass over 45% which is excellent for any man and especially for my age....those weren't goals but those are the results and I like it.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:55 AM

13,454 posts, read 15,581,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Anyone that is happy with their diet and getting great results would have no motivation to change but for people that have diabetes and a giant gut like I had, hopefully are more motivated as I was.

I personally would have no interest in eating half my meal at lunch and the other half for dinner but if it works for her, great.

My goal was not so much losing weight as it was to reverse diabetes which I completely did and in the meantime, lost all of my gut and extra weight, cholesterol , tri-glycerides, blood pressure, weight all in the ideal range...if your diet is giving those type of results, then I can understand not changing it.

By the way, my bodyfat is down to 10% and muscle mass over 45% which is excellent for any man and especially for my age....those weren't goals but those are the results and I like it.
You're correct. I got the results I wanted so I really don't have any desire to change. I didn't have a giant gut, but I was big all over. My motivation was to improve my health foremost and by losing as much as I had, my numbers are great. However, my HBP is not reversible, and to be honest, I don't think cutting out beans and grains would make a Stage 2 hypertensive person like myself have normal numbers. Sorry.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:00 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,373 times
Quote:
Nope, I tried eating a healthy diet of whole fresh foods and exercised and ended up with diabetes before I ate the diet proscribed in The Plant Paradox. I tried many diets that all gave poor results until this one. As far as sustainability, so far it's been 16 months and it's been easy to maintain for me admittedly, I'm only about 60 compliant now although I try to stick to the base principles.

So far we can divide the group into 2 on the subject of the book, those that haven't tried it and and are skeptics and those that do the diet and are getting awesome results...unless anyone has actually done it and didn't get great results?
Could you post what you were eating?
Hey, if it works for you great. Keep it up. Its all about what works for you. But the landfill is full of diet discoveries from doctors books, as there seems to be a new one out every 6 months to a year.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Hey, if it works for you great. Keep it up. Its all about what works for you. But the landfill is full of diet discoveries from doctors books, as there seems to be a new one out every 6 months to a year.
I tried low fat diet, Atkins diet, Vegan diet, just eating lots of veggies and fruits and everything was a disappointment until I tried the diet recommended by Dr. Gundry...my conclusion is that everyone who says he's wrong with his claims, are the ones that are wrong unless I can find someone or people that have tried the diet and didn't get great results and so far, I haven't located anyone that did the diet and didn't get great results so my working theory based on the evidence that I've seen is that Dr. Gundry is right and everyone that doubts or says he doesn't know what he's talking about or in fact the ones that are dead wrong.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:12 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,834,368 times
My husband was able to lower his triglycerides by eating a low carb, high protein, and lots of vegs. But don’t forget, not all vegs are created equal, some are better than others. Like if somebody tells me tgat eat iceberg lettuce, lots of corns, mashed potato, all vegs, I can tell you they are not good for you. If you don’t mind, can you post what you ate before and what you ate for this diet.

Btw, my BIL was able to reverse diabetics, no longer taking medicine by eating more protein like turkey. Before that he was a vegetarian. But he ate lots of roasted potatoes with catch up, some form of lettuce, but to make up for the lack of taste, he ate a lot dessert. That’s how he became diabetics, bad diet plus a stressful job.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My husband was able to lower his triglycerides by eating a low carb, high protein, and lots of vegs. But don’t forget, not all vegs are created equal, some are better than others. Like if somebody tells me tgat eat iceberg lettuce, lots of corns, mashed potato, all vegs, I can tell you they are not good for you. If you don’t mind, can you post what you ate before and what you ate for this diet.

Btw, my BIL was able to reverse diabetics, no longer taking medicine by eating more protein like turkey. Before that he was a vegetarian. But he ate lots of roasted potatoes with catch up, some form of lettuce, but to make up for the lack of taste, he ate a lot dessert. That’s how he became diabetics, bad diet plus a stressful job.
There are sites that list out what Dr. Gundry puts on the list of eat and don't eat list....so if you just followed that, I believe your results would be fantastic. There are also things in the environment you need to avoid and medicines to avoid if you were trying to be compliant with all of his recommendations. Better yet, buy the book and read it to fully understand how he came to his ideas, what they are, and the science and theory behind them.

Things that I stopped eating although I may eat sometimes if I'm served it that I previously ate but no longer eat;

- Cashews
- Peanuts and peanut butter
- tomatoes
- farm raised fish
- I try not to eat beef, pork, chicken unless grass fed (I'm pretty non compliant with this but trying to improve)
- white potatoes
- any wheat products
- beans and legumes
- sweeteners
- aleve

That's some of the basics but again, read the book and don't trust my 2nd hand non-professional take on what he says.

In my current situation working in Azerbaijan, it's hard for me to know about some of the meats and I eat lunch with friends at a restaurant so impossible to follow the diet doing that but about to finish this place and will go back to a more compliant diet in the near future.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:28 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,929,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You got that right. A lot of diet fads out there and other wild ideas. I even tried rubbing the head of a redhead with freckles to lose weight and that didn't work as the book said it would.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
You got that right. A lot of diet fads out there and other wild ideas. I even tried rubbing the head of a redhead with freckles to lose weight and that didn't work as the book said it would.
True but in this case of The Plant Paradox, I still haven't met anyone that did the diet and didn't get fantastic results...have you?

Old 12-11-2018, 07:27 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,373 times
Quote:
True but in this case of The Plant Paradox, I still haven't met anyone that did the diet and didn't get fantastic results...have you?
Any diet can get good results. Its the ability to eat a certain way indefinitely. That is where most people fail.

Do you have any ideas how many 'ground breaking' diets have been concocted by doctors over the years?
Get back to us in a year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss