Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:00 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,195 times

Advertisements

The problem with those Atkins bars is that people with weight problems (nearly everyone) don't, in practice, just eat one and then put the box away to save for later. Many of us will continue eating until someone steps into the room and takes the box out of our hands. The poet Shelley was said to be like that and it's common, I would think. Just absent minded eating. Mindless eating, resulting in weight gain.

I don't trust myself around something like that and can't have it in the house. Same goes for oatmeal cookies, candy, or anything with sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 09:37 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
The problem with those Atkins bars is that people with weight problems (nearly everyone) don't, in practice, just eat one and then put the box away to save for later. Many of us will continue eating until someone steps into the room and takes the box out of our hands. The poet Shelley was said to be like that and it's common, I would think. Just absent minded eating. Mindless eating, resulting in weight gain.

I don't trust myself around something like that and can't have it in the house. Same goes for oatmeal cookies, candy, or anything with sugar.
Yeah, they're actually quite good. But I never eat more than one.
I don't think they're like some sugar free things where bad stuff happens if you eat a whole bunch of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMjgaa5j_LE

I love oatmeal raisin cookies myself, but I rarely ever have one.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Yeah, they're actually quite good. But I never eat more than one.
I don't think they're like some sugar free things where bad stuff happens if you eat a whole bunch of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMjgaa5j_LE

I love oatmeal raisin cookies myself, but I rarely ever have one.
I don't do gummies; they contain gelatin, which comes from animal bones, connective tissue, and organs. Nasty.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I don't do gummies; they contain gelatin, which comes from animal bones, connective tissue, and organs. Nasty.
I have no use for gummies either, sugar free or otherwise.
But I have tried the sugar free ones. It did not take all that many of them to provide the "laxative effect".

That LA Beast fellow has made it onto Outrageous Acts of Science a few times.
This was one of those times. It was so bad that I think he ended up flushing his soul down the toilet in the aftermath.
Tough way to make a living, bro.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:55 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
unsweetened or lightly sweetened yogurt. You could have a look at Siggi’s Icelandic.

A few almonds

A mix of pumpkin and sunflower seeds

Old 12-12-2018, 10:59 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
unsweetened or lightly sweetened yogurt. You could have a look at Siggi’s Icelandic.

A few almonds

A mix of pumpkin and sunflower seeds
I have Siggi's a lot because it's one of the lowest sugared yogurts (flavored) that's out there. The vanilla, I think, just has 9 grams and some of the other flavors just a bit more. The OP's Mini Wheats aren't actually much more than that, though, as long as she's keeping it to one serving versus a big bowl full.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I have Siggi's a lot because it's one of the lowest sugared yogurts (flavored) that's out there. The vanilla, I think, just has 9 grams and some of the other flavors just a bit more. The OP's Mini Wheats aren't actually much more than that, though, as long as she's keeping it to one serving versus a big bowl full.
This is what I have:
Blackberry Greek Yogurt | Light & Fit®
Just 8 carbs in one container.

The container size of the yogurt is 150g.
https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/nut...i-wheats,1236/
150g of Frosted Mini Wheats have 111.6 carbs.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:55 AM

I can't eat yogurt because it's dairy. But I have to be careful what I have at the house because it will literally call my name. And if I observe the machinations going on in my head to justify eating when I shouldn't, it really is astonishing what the mind can come up with by way of excuse. I think it's a very common problem.

This is why no one is supposed to mention any particular food at an OA meeting. There are studies suggesting that people who have weight problems are more suggestible to photos of food, the smell of cooking, and mentioning of foods.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
But I have to be careful what I have at the house because it will literally call my name.
My wife has the same problem. Fortunately, I do not. I have actually eaten one Lay's potato chip.
I think there's a secret rare earth super-magnet in chocolate that attracts women.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:28 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
This is what I have:
Blackberry Greek Yogurt | Light & Fit®
Just 8 carbs in one container.

The container size of the yogurt is 150g.
https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/nut...i-wheats,1236/
150g of Frosted Mini Wheats have 111.6 carbs.
Yeah, I've seen those but I don't do artificial sweeteners at all. Stopped that after they caused irritation of the bladder wall for me.

The OP didn't say she was going low carb so I don't consider her snack to be a bad one provided it's just one serving. Now if she were low carb, that would be another matter. But it works for on an eating plan that allows everything but is going for a lower calorie day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss