Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 02:07 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yeah, I've seen those but I don't do artificial sweeteners at all. Stopped that after they caused irritation of the bladder wall for me.

The OP didn't say she was going low carb so I don't consider her snack to be a bad one provided it's just one serving. Now if she were low carb, that would be another matter. But it works for on an eating plan that allows everything but is going for a lower calorie day.
Frosted Mini Wheats aren't really low calorie, either.
One serving (21 biscuits or one cup) has 190 without milk.
21 biscuits is really not that many. It would be very easy to blow past 21 biscuits.

Now, something like Grape Nuts... a cup of that has 142 calories.
It is right up there with the most filling things I can think of.
I think it's even more filling than oatmeal (a cup of that is 158 calories).
One cup of that could be more than enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 02:18 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Frosted Mini Wheats aren't really low calorie, either.
One serving (21 biscuits or one cup) has 190 without milk.
21 biscuits is really not that many. It would be very easy to blow past 21 biscuits.

Now, something like Grape Nuts... a cup of that has 142 calories.
It is right up there with the most filling things I can think of.
I think it's even more filling than oatmeal (a cup of that is 158 calories).
One cup of that could be more than enough.
I agree that's why I kept emphasizing the one serving bit. Sure, it's not low calorie by my standards (I try to keep my snack to 100 calories) but, overall, it's better than a big bowl of Ben & Jerry's. If the OP was trying to lose weight, I'd probably look for 100 calorie options at night.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:19 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times
Quote:
I love oatmeal raisin cookies myself, but I rarely ever have one.
Yeah, I used to make them for my dad, using bacon fat, of all things. Of course, I was 12 at the time. He grew up on a farm in Oklahoma during the Depression, so this was a big deal to him. He and his dad made money butchering hogs and said that they went to this lady's house once and accidentally butchered her pet pig. She had a screaming, broken-hearted fit when she realized what had happened.

I really don't find pigs particularly appealing, but they really are smart and they really do suffer. The taste of bacon is not worth it to me.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:44 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Add to that list, low carb fruit like strawberries, raspberries or blackberries.
I have them all the time. Of course you would have to put sweetener on them, I use Splenda.

There is also this...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Atkins-Ca...SABEgLqPPD_BwE
Unlike most lo carb bars, these taste just like the real thing.
I'm weird in that I never add sugar to berries. They tend to be sweet most of the time and even the bitter ones I eat.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm weird in that I never add sugar to berries. They tend to be sweet most of the time and even the bitter ones I eat.
I used to all the time when I was a kid. Strawberries, cantaloupe, etc. Spooned it on my cereal too. Fortunately I don't feel the need to do that now!

Old 12-12-2018, 02:56 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Yeah, I used to make them for my dad, using bacon fat, of all things.
OMG... I bet those were amazing.
You are so bad... now you're making me want one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I used to all the time when I was a kid. Strawberries, cantaloupe, etc. Spooned it on my cereal too. Fortunately I don't feel the need to do that now!
I put salt on cantaloupe, at which my wife wrinkles her nose.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
OMG... I bet those were amazing.
You are so bad... now you're making me want one!

I put salt on cantaloupe, at which my wife wrinkles her nose.
My mother always used to do that, as well as with the watermelon. I've tried it but couldn't really get into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss