Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 09:49 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times

Advertisements

Do you think it's inevitable that we women will gain weight post-menopause (given eating the same amount of food)?

What's been your experience?

Me, I'm getting a bit pudgy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 09:51 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,202 times
I was told once that after menopause we start to store more fat in our belly areas. Totally unfair!

(but I never did any independent research on the issue....)

Old 01-27-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I was told once that after menopause we start to store more fat in our belly areas. Totally unfair!

(but I never did any independent research on the issue....)
Yes! That's so true...my Buddha belly is in evidence...

Old 01-27-2019, 10:10 AM

Yes, did a bit of "Googling" and found our belly fat is caused by a post-menopause lack of estrogen and maybe not enough protein, according to the Mayo Clinic and a study cited: Mayo Clinic study finds explanation for postmenopausal belly fat | Star Tribune

Me, I'm will ramp up the protein and eat less white carbs, more veggies and keep my fingers crossed...and keep slogging away on the treadmill and bike at the gym..

Not gonna give up the glass of wine with dinner, though...hee hee

Old 01-27-2019, 10:42 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,202 times
Oh goodness - we all have that one 'thing' we won't give up! Keep the glass of wine!

Thanks for the google, I suspected it was real since it came from a very reliable source. And thanks for the heads up re: protein - I already watch that to make sure I get a fair amount regularly, but now I have even more reason to keep track of it!

Old 01-27-2019, 11:01 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Do you think it's inevitable that we women will gain weight post-menopause (given eating the same amount of food)?

I was very slim all my life and then I hit menopause and my metabolism took a hike and bam seriously overweight. Everyone’s hormones change as we age, as do our dietary input versus energy output. Nothing I did was working, not exercising daily, not low calorie diets that were unsustainable. Then I learned that my body just doesn’t process wheat products in a way that is healthy for ME. I am now losing slowly and steadily on a moderate paleo diet plan. The exercise I do now is more focused for maximizing overall body health and flexibility rather than trying to just burn calories.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:09 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Post menopause I gained 60 lbs, and had that awful shape with the big waist and stomach. Now ten years later in my late 60s I have lost it and do light workouts daily which gave me back my shape. Overall, I am still heavier than in my 30s, but at this age I look better with the 10 lbs extra I carry, especially since I have good muscle tone. Ladies, it is NOT impossible to change your shape with diet and exercise! I know women in their 80s who do yoga and ballroom dance and they look young, vibrant and shapely!

Old 01-27-2019, 11:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

I think as we get older, whether we realize it or not, we slow down. So the same amount of good will turn more easily to fat. Then reach mid 70s to 80s and it seems we stop gaining, even go the other way. More than anything, so you younger ladies, be prepared; after the belly fat gain the ass goes down hill. What is wrong with that, you suddenly have a waist 4 inches, a tunny and no butt to hold your pants up, so you find yourself spending 1/2 the time pulling them up or reverting to all elastic waist pants.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Oh goodness - we all have that one 'thing' we won't give up! Keep the glass of wine!

Thanks for the google, I suspected it was real since it came from a very reliable source. And thanks for the heads up re: protein - I already watch that to make sure I get a fair amount regularly, but now I have even more reason to keep track of it!
of course that glass of wine is something we should not give up.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:36 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I am of the belief that as we age we need a little extra weight/fat on our bodies to "fight" off what may come our way to compromise our health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss