Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 03:12 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times

Advertisements

The concept of a cleanse or detox is curious. There is no credible science available to support their effectiveness yet they continue to maintain their popularity.

It's like a thread I was reading earlier about apple cider vinegar. I was talking to a licensed dietitian last week who suggested that drinking vinegar had zero benefits and that for those people who argued otherwise, they were likely enjoying a placebo effect.

If something works for you, it works for you. But it's like the guy I encountered in a FitBit forum yesterday who claimed he's lost 35 lbs of fat in the past three months and also added 10 lbs of muscle. I asked him how he knew, sharing that professional body builders typically only add 20-25 lbs of muscle in the first year of training and only after intense, six-day per week workouts. His reply was that he once added 8 lbs of muscle in a single month and could tell. Again, he believed it was true so c'est la vie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 01:56 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,256 times
Detox in terms of diets for pop-health-culture reasons is usually more "bro-science" than anything else.

Forums like this is also usually 99% "bro-science".

If OP has actual liver issues and want to effect it with a diet, do it with a professional, not random dudes and dudettes on an internet forum.
In an analogy of a football game, the people who will reply here are cheerleaders at best, the opposing teams spectators at worst, and you are asking something for which you need the head coach to reply.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:06 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Actually, my liver does not do much of a job of detoxing itself. I was in the hospital about two years ago with liver enzyme readings that doctors couldn't figure out.

Seems my liver couldn't metabolize a medicine I was taking. I was sick as a dog until some young pharmacist figured it out.

Not an alcoholic or a drug abuser.
your liver was doing what it was supposed to do. an offending agent was presented to it and it ramped up in response.

now that you're removed the offending agent what do your liver function tests look like?

Old 02-23-2019, 11:11 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
I am not an MD BUT I do hold a Master's in medical genetics, worked (now retired) for decades in my field and know a thing or three about physiology, symptomology etc.

OP. The foods you listed would have no more/different effect on the liver than any other foods comprised of the same macro/micro nutrients; one cannot "reset" one's metabolic rate via certain foods. This I can assure you with certainty.

If you understood hepatic function, you would realize this yourself and thus the sheer absurdity of the claim that ingestion of these foods shall "detoxify" and "reset" ANY organ/organ systems.

That you cite as an example of poor hepatic function, a case wherein you developed hepatotoxicity from a med, tells me you have a typical layperson's lack of knowledge of physiology and likely even less of pharmocokinetics.

You metabolized that drug poorly; that doesn't mean you have problems with hepatic function and most definitely none that ingesting these foods shall correct.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:16 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
your liver was doing what it was supposed to do. an offending agent was presented to it and it ramped up in response.

now that you're removed the offending agent what do your liver function tests look like?
Yep.

And if hepatic function is in fact compromised I can bet you my good jewelry this "diet" shall be ineffective in correcting the issue(s).

Old 02-23-2019, 12:00 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Does this pharmacist think this diet will do the trick?

Sorry for the snarky, but these fad diets come and go and the only one who benefits from them are the authors. The current go-to buzzwords are detox and metabolism.
I think if you just ate a diet rich in vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, healthy fats, whole grains (not baked goods), and drank plenty of water you would probably fare better.
This pharmacist agrees with you 100%

Quack fads come and go and the writers reap all the rewards

You already said that you have liver issues, please don't do something crazy and make it worse

Old 02-25-2019, 07:51 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
I am not an MD BUT I do hold a Master's in medical genetics, worked (now retired) for decades in my field and know a thing or three about physiology, symptomology etc.

OP. The foods you listed would have no more/different effect on the liver than any other foods comprised of the same macro/micro nutrients; one cannot "reset" one's metabolic rate via certain foods. This I can assure you with certainty.

If you understood hepatic function, you would realize this yourself and thus the sheer absurdity of the claim that ingestion of these foods shall "detoxify" and "reset" ANY organ/organ systems.

That you cite as an example of poor hepatic function, a case wherein you developed hepatotoxicity from a med, tells me you have a typical layperson's lack of knowledge of physiology and likely even less of pharmocokinetics.

You metabolized that drug poorly; that doesn't mean you have problems with hepatic function and most definitely none that ingesting these foods shall correct.
May I keep you on speed dial?

I don't have a science background at all but have researched and tinkered with a few weight loss approaches. Using simple terms, basic physics generally serves as the prevailing rule when it comes to how our bodies work. Having someone with the appropriate education and experience explain that is remarkably refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss