Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 12:45 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
No harsh words here - my relationship with food is totally not healthy and I am good with that. It took me years to figure this out, and I'm just coming to terms with it in recent months. Also a binge eater here. If I restrict myself too much, I will binge. So instead I am learning to listen to my body and to allow some 'cheating' in order to have a healthier lifestyle overall.

I have some yummy plans for this weekend - not a 'cheat', but absolutely delicious (and the possibility is there if I need it).
Yep. You nailed it.

I'm at peace with myself. It's a wonderful feeling.

despite the "cheating", I experience all of the benefits of healthy lifestyle that hasn't been offset one iota.
people need to find whatever plan works for them in the long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 12:48 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
I don’t find myself needing cheat days on paleo, which is not to say I don’t occasionally cheat,just that I don’t seek out a day or opportunity to cheat. The times I have cheated have not impacted my long term goals.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:45 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
I have a lunch in addition to my breakfast OMAD, perhaps twice a month. It seems to increase my weight loss a tiny bit, perhaps by stirring up my metabolism, I don't know. But as far as an actual cheat day where I can eat anything I want, that scares me. I'd probably revert to my massive consumption of sugar, white carbs, wine and pasta, God knows what. And maybe not be able to stop the next day.

My mind is very good at justifying and making excuses, even being oblivious. And I'm addicted to sugar. I don't want to go there.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:24 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yep. You nailed it.

I'm at peace with myself. It's a wonderful feeling.

despite the "cheating", I experience all of the benefits of healthy lifestyle that hasn't been offset one iota.
people need to find whatever plan works for them in the long term.
hey!

why aren't you posting anymore in the fitness forum - you're our inspiration!

Old 04-03-2019, 08:44 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
I live alone so I'm free to keep tempting goodies out of my house. Also retired, so no boozy business dinners or cookies I have to pass up in the break room.

My cheats take two forms. First I LOVE pecan pie, bakery cakes with frosting and really good, heavy cheesecake. Fortunately I rarely encounter them. Typically it's at a church function or the annual Garden Club holiday dinner and it's been months since I enjoyed one of these desserts. I have a piece (preferably a corner of the cake with a flower on it), thoroughly enjoy every molecule of fat and sugar, and then back away from the table.

The other is travel, when I also relax somewhat. I rarely eat beef, pork or chicken at home so I have more meat, maybe pasta and other things I like but avoid most of the time. I just got back from a cruise in the Sea of Cortez, where I enjoyed more wine than usual and desserts at both breakfast and lunch. Fortunately the cruise line is focused on quality of food over quantity- plenty of seafood and vegetarian options- and there was lots of kayaking, snorkeling and hiking to work most of it off. I'm a few pounds heavier but that will come off. It will take longer than it did to put it on though!

It helps that I'm not really into overeating. I don't like feeling uncomfortably stuffed, so it's not the quantity of food that changes as much as the fat, carb and calorie content.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:17 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
First I LOVE pecan pie
I had it for the first time last Thanksgiving. It's a bit much for me.

Quote:
The other is travel, when I also relax somewhat. I rarely eat beef, pork or chicken at home so I have more meat, maybe pasta and other things I like but avoid most of the time.
I tend to eat what I usually eat (a lot of meat) if they've got it. I don't go off the rails too much.
Bacon and/or sausage and eggs for breakfast and I'm happy. I think I'd get ill if I ate one of those waffles with a bunch of fruity goo on it.
The drinks flow freely, though...

Old 04-03-2019, 02:55 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
hey!

why aren't you posting anymore in the fitness forum - you're our inspiration!
ah, thank you!

unfortunately i've injured myself and it's been a slow process healing :/ My body decided to remind me that I'm middle aged. I just don't have much to add any more there as all I do is cardio, which I hate. TBH I am pretty down because I can't lift as much as I used to...the key to any exercise regime is to find something you enjoy and I enjoyed lifting. The modified lifting doesn't do anything for me, I fear that I will rush things and re-injure myself, so all I do is run and the elliptical. I don't really enjoy that, but I do it to keep up the exercise.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:15 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I did low carb for a year, but I allowed myself pasta once a week and pizza every month or so. I didn’t really consider it cheating though, I considered it moderation, which I think is the key to being successful. On my birthday, I ate cake.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:34 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Who's getting cheated with cheat days/meals? I mean, why go through the effort of trying to lose weight at all if you're just going to cede gains on purpose? How important is food that you need to do something like that?

Eat what you want, when you want and just adjust as you go. Don't plan to be irresponsible, it's self-defeating.
Free meals (I like that term more than "cheat" meals" have both mental and physiological benefits.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:27 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
What are our thoughts on a cheat day or cheat meal?

Your thoughts?
My thoughts on cheat days/meals are simple:

1. Cheat Days are totally unacceptable during any time of any program. If you have not yet reached your goal, there is NO REASON to have a complete DAY where you just pig out for pig outs sake.

2. A single simple cheat meal is okay within the first 15-30 days of a program.

3. Monitor what you eat on a cheat meal. You should NOT gain any weight because of a cheat meal. If you find that you gained weight, then your cheat day was just diet/health sabotage. No more cheat for a min of 30 days.

4. The closer you get to your end game plan, the more cheat meals you can have, like maybe 1 meal every 10 days (but ONLY if progress is still being made). The surprising this about this is, the closer you get to goal, the less desire you have to cheat.

5. If goal has been reached, then, and ONLY then, it is acceptable to have a cheat DAY. But more than likely you wont want a full day because now you feel great and dont want to ruin things.

Seriously, cheat meals are fine within reason, but if you feel that you need a cheat meal within the first two weeks of any program your problem is more likely mental and should be approached from a psychiatric angle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss