Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 01:33 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,909,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, if it works for people, then great!

I lost 24 pounds in 2017. What worked for me was a regular exercise plan and recording everything I ate in My Fitness Pal. The rate was only about four pounds a month, though, which can get discouraging, but I think that at my age, it's the best I can hope for.

My biggest enemy is becoming obsessed with food. When and what I can eat next, etc.

I wish I could go back to thinking and eating as I did before I reached adulthood. I was too skinny, actually, but until I was an adult, I didn't eat things like cheese or mayonnaise. They turned my stomach to look at them. Same with foods like spaghetti--I saw a plate full of worms and would hardly eat anything. My mother overcooked all meat, so there was no fat left in any of it and you had to chew it to death to get it to the point where you could swallow it.

We rarely ate out, and there were so many foods I didn't try until I was an adult and went to work in the city. I never had a bagel until I was 20, or tacos until I was in my 30s. Really didn't eat Italian food--spaghetti and meatballs were a once-a-month thing when the food budget ran low.

On the other hand, we did eat cake and cookies of some sort every day, and sandwiches for lunch every day, and I wouldn't want to go back to that. Cereal for breakfast most mornings. Salad wasn't a thing yet back then. I don't remember my mother ever making a salad except for chunks of iceberg lettuce with sliced tomatoes that I drenched in Catalina dressing.

But I never thought about food or looked forward to food the way I do now. We ate because we had to, because it was time to eat.
Yeah, I think food has changed a lot. More chemicals, preservatives, bad fats, sugar in everything. This is likely even an established fact, for all I know. There wasn't as much obesity. I think there's a book out, 'Salt, Fat and Sugar.'. Here it is:

Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us (Paperback)【2018】 by Michael Moss (Author)
https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Moss-...s%2C226&sr=1-3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 01:42 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, if it works for people, then great!

I lost 24 pounds in 2017. What worked for me was a regular exercise plan and recording everything I ate in My Fitness Pal. The rate was only about four pounds a month, though, which can get discouraging, but I think that at my age, it's the best I can hope for.

My biggest enemy is becoming obsessed with food. When and what I can eat next, etc.

I wish I could go back to thinking and eating as I did before I reached adulthood. I was too skinny, actually, but until I was an adult, I didn't eat things like cheese or mayonnaise. They turned my stomach to look at them. Same with foods like spaghetti--I saw a plate full of worms and would hardly eat anything. My mother overcooked all meat, so there was no fat left in any of it and you had to chew it to death to get it to the point where you could swallow it.

We rarely ate out, and there were so many foods I didn't try until I was an adult and went to work in the city. I never had a bagel until I was 20, or tacos until I was in my 30s. Really didn't eat Italian food--spaghetti and meatballs were a once-a-month thing when the food budget ran low.

On the other hand, we did eat cake and cookies of some sort every day, and sandwiches for lunch every day, and I wouldn't want to go back to that. Cereal for breakfast most mornings. Salad wasn't a thing yet back then. I don't remember my mother ever making a salad except for chunks of iceberg lettuce with sliced tomatoes that I drenched in Catalina dressing.

But I never thought about food or looked forward to food the way I do now. We ate because we had to, because it was time to eat.

Maybe I do need OA!
This illuminates my issue with the diet culture. People who follow programs like Weight Watchers spend so much time thinking about, planning for and obsessing over their food choices. As long as it's featured in a persons life they're doomed to struggle with their weight.

Think about some other common bodily functions, such as expelling waste. Can you imagine a person planning all day for their next bowel movement, which bathroom they'll want to use, what time of day to use it and making sure they have just the right type of toilet paper?

Until a person eats only when hungry and learns how to make sensible food choices when doing so they're going to have issues. I finished lunch and an hour or so later was starving. But it didn't make sense because I literally had just finished a meal. So I drank some water, took a short walk and popped in some chewing gum. Hunger went away and instead of indulging on a whim and eating something I'd regret, I elected to aim for a smarter plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss