Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,077,241 times

Advertisements

Anyone tried it? I'm about ready to as I have finally realized I truly am powerless over my eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 PM

386 posts, read 1,016,038 times
It's a Twelve-Step Program for overeating. All 12-Step Programs are essentially the same (AA was the first). Therefore we have, Gambler's Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, Shopaholics Anonymous, etc. If you're admitting you have no control over your eating, then I think you may benefit from OA. Once you start studying the steps, attend meetings, and get a sponsor it may work well for you. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:12 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,948,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Anyone tried it? I'm about ready to as I have finally realized I truly am powerless over my eating.

If you're powerless over you're eating, overpower it by doing really hard/rigorous workouts. Then as long as you're eating healthy you can stuff yourself and get in shape while you're at it.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,077,241 times
Well thanks for the "what is it?" answer and for the "what is another way to lose weight if I'm powerless over my eating?" answer but PLEASE I know what it is, and duh, if I could exercise vigorously don't you think I would be???

I'm only asking if there's anyone who has either attended meetings, is a current member, or knows someone who has done one of these two. Sheesh.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:30 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,455,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Well thanks for the "what is it?" answer and for the "what is another way to lose weight if I'm powerless over my eating?" answer but PLEASE I know what it is, and duh, if I could exercise vigorously don't you think I would be???

I'm only asking if there's anyone who has either attended meetings, is a current member, or knows someone who has done one of these two. Sheesh.
I went to the meetings a couple of times. Didn't really like the spiritual mumbo jumbo so I stopped.

If I remember correctly, they are very big on members not sharing their experiences with non-members.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:31 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times
A co-worker of mine did the program and lost some 80 pounds. I don't know how much she went to meetings, but she followed the meal plan very well, said that after a while, it just becomes a habit. I know some people follow it online, like with online support instead going to meetings.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:03 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,037,064 times
I went for a year and lost around 100 pounds. The next year I quit and gained the 100 pounds back.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:49 AM

130 posts, read 426,612 times
My sister started going to OA about a year and 4 months ago. She went from being almost 400 pounds to managing to lose 150+ and learning coping tools to deal with her life. She is a much nicer and happier person now and I have even attended open meetings to try and understand her malady. I suggest you try it and see how you feel about it. No pain no gain.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:06 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,623,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09;23604946[B
]If you're powerless over you're eating, overpower it by doing really hard/rigorous workouts. Then as long as you're eating healthy you can stuff yourself and get in shape while you're at it.
[/b]

Uh.............NO, just NO! Trading one dysfunction for another is not ideal.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:16 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,143,030 times
Sorry it's long, hope this helps...

First: It may not be for everyone -- but you may love it. TRY IT.

It's been decades since I FIRST went to OA, for over a year. And lost 70 pounds. At that point in my life (late 20s-early 30s) it was what I needed. I loved it. It taught me coping skills, and got me to think about HOW and WHY I used food, and overate, and other things I don't think I ever would have realized on my own.

While it is NOT therapy. For me it was a therapy. I went to one or two meetings a week, faithfully. I had a sponsor, I got my eating under control. And as I said I lost a lot of weight.

After I lost the weight -- I PERSONALLY changed. And drifted away from OA. I was older, had other things going on. And besides, I was thin now. I just didn't get out of it what I did before. But it was me. I'd changed, grown, whatever. After that, over the years I gained the weight back -- because I stopped doing what I knew worked for me. (not just OA, in general)

Years later, I went through about 5-10 years of being a MILITANT fat person. Thinking: I am fat, I've been fat, I'm going to be fat. I'm not not going to beat myself up about it anymore. I'm just not going to think less of myself over clothing size and weight. I was happy. My weight (270) never stopped me from doing what I wanted to do. I went where I wanted, did what I wanted, had a job loving family and friends. Live is too short to bang my head against a wall over this weight thing. I'm not to struggle like this beating myself up.

Then I went to Weight Watchers -- and LOVED that too. I joined more to get the EATING under control, than to lose WEIGHT. For me, I've always known, if I can get the EATING under control, the WEIGHT will take care of itself. For me, my focus needs to be health, not weight. Went for three years 1-3 meetings a week. Lost 70 pounds. Quit going (life change of buying a house, etc) and gained back 50 over 8 years.

Since then I also went to a couple of TOPS meetings. Which I didn't connect with.
And I've seen a private nutritionist. While helpful, it was to expensive so I only did five sessions.

For me, losing weight has always been about being READY to do what I know i need to do, what works. Having the motivation to make it a priority. Sometimes I'm ready and willing -- and sometimes I'm not. It doesn't make me a bad person, doesn't affect my self esteem....I'm just not willing to put out the effort. And I don't lie to myself about it.

I've studied and read enough about nutrition and exercise training to BE a nutritionist and trainer. That's partly why NOW for me where I am now groups don't work. I've sort of heard it all. BUT I LOVE the GROUPS I've joined over the years OA AND WW...and highly recommend them. They taught me what I needed to take care of me -- and to KNOW ME.. what works and what won't.. and to be happy with me in the meantime. That I'm a work in progress. It was truly and education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss