Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:55 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,760 times

Advertisements

I agree with you, both OA and WW are good programs. I was able to lose weight with both. I was over 400 pounds at one point in my life and am glad to have lost 220 pounds and keep it off. It finally took gastric bypass surgery to do it, but I think that should be the last resort for people. I haven't had any problems at all from it, but from what I hear it's very dangerous. Going under the knife is always a big risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 03:58 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I agree with you, both OA and WW are good programs. I was able to lose weight with both. I was over 400 pounds at one point in my life and am glad to have lost 220 pounds and keep it off. It finally took gastric bypass surgery to do it, but I think that should be the last resort for people. I haven't had any problems at all from it, but from what I hear it's very dangerous. Going under the knife is always a big risk.
Think you would have kept less than the 220 pounds off if you hadn't participated in OA or WW? In other words, how much of that 220 that you kept of was due to OA or WW?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Think you would have kept less than the 220 pounds off if you hadn't participated in OA or WW? In other words, how much of that 220 that you kept of was due to OA or WW?
I went to those before the gastric bypass surgery. However, I learned nutritious eating through Weight Watchers which has helped me keep the weight off. Also, I learned coping techniques through OA that has also helped me keep the weight off. Both programs are good for different reasons.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Probably a lot of it is the combination of the three. WW teaches you the foods to eat and OA gives you coping tools. Surgery alone is not the answer because a person's stomach stretches back after about 18 months so they need to learn what to eat and if they are truly hungry or just bored, lonely, compulsive, etc. to not gain back the weight.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I think that should be the last resort for people. I haven't had any problems at all from it, but from what I hear it's very dangerous. Going under the knife is always a big risk.
Most of these surgeries are laparoscopic. Very safe.

How long does someone need to determine what is a last resort? One year? Five years? ten years?
One diet effort? Ten diet efforts? Fifty diet efforts?

What does "very dangerous" mean? More dangerous than being obese the rest of your life?

Old 07-21-2012, 10:37 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Most of these surgeries are laparoscopic. Very safe.

How long does someone need to determine what is a last resort? One year? Five years? ten years?
One diet effort? Ten diet efforts? Fifty diet efforts?

What does "very dangerous" mean? More dangerous than being obese the rest of your life?
If one does not change their relationship with food these surgeries will not produce long term results. It takes a commitment to eat healthy for the rest of ones life.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:12 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,352 times
I agree with that. I have problems overeating at times. But most of the time I get tired trying to make healthy meals. I get all exciting about "my new life change" Then I after I week I get tired even thought I get fast weight loss results.

I am athletic, muscular and active. So anytime I go on a healthier eating plan, plus me being active, I lose weight quickly.

But every time, I move to Chicago I gain weight fast. I do not like it here and get tired of the expectations. What the point of losing all this weight. I barely date and do not want a family or want to get married deal with fake young single people. I can not relate. I miss my family, but I afraid to talk to them or see them.

So I never stick with it anymore. I feel like it is not worth it. Losing weight use to make me happy, now it does not.
Even today I weighed myself and I have gain 20 pounds in 5 months. Usually this will prompt to get excited and go on a diet. But today I did not. I am tired of gaining the same weight and losing the same weight over again.

I know this an emotional problem taken out of food. When I gain weight, I do not even want to go out or want my family to see me. I know I need help, but I am not sure where to turn.

I keep thinking if I have a plan to leave Chicago maybe things will turn around.
Also, I have to keep myself in check because I am so tall and sometimes I do not notice some of my weight gain.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
change their relationship with food
What exactly does this mean? Specifically?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:07 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,352 times
Quote:

It means changing how you view food in negative way like comfort or being afraid to eat, hiding it, or just being scare of it. It means looking at food in a normal way.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:56 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
It simply means that people who have these surgeries cannot go back to the way they were eating before they got the surgery. They have to commit to healthier foods and much smaller portions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss