Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 01:55 AM

4 posts, read 1,330 times

Advertisements

Hi Im Wilson
What are the advantages of running in daily life for keeping our self fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 04:37 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Hi Wilson,

Running as exercise works (energizes) the heart and lungs, and so helps circulate oxygen and other nutrients throughout the body. It also burns calories (heat energy), including fat, which is also helpful for weight-control purposes.

There are downsides, such as stress on certain joints and muscles.

Also, by itself, running is not a complete wellness program.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 961 times
I'm trying to start a running program. My main problem is that the last time I tried, I got terrible shin splints. After some research on my own, it might be due to me not stretching properly, along with carrying excess weight right now.

I've purchased some compression socks to help as well.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:22 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
It's a good way to screw up my back.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:28 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swright3 View Post
I'm trying to start a running program. My main problem is that the last time I tried, I got terrible shin splints. After some research on my own, it might be due to me not stretching properly, along with carrying excess weight right now.

I've purchased some compression socks to help as well.
Shin splints happen when you are just starting out running. Run on dirt if you can, that will help. Buy good running shoes that fit properly. The best way to do that is buy them at a running store. The sales people are experienced and will fit you properly. Don't not skimp on the shoes.
Generally shin splints will go away fairly soon.
Do not stretch before running, in other words don't do cold stretching. Warm up then stretch. When I used to run I stretched at the end of my run.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:30 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
My knees and hips don't like it when I run, but I can work hard on the eliptical without repercussion. It's a great low-stress way to get cardio. You can use a mix of intensity, resistance, and stride length to make it a real workout.

At minimum, you could alternate eliptical with running to start out.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:30 AM

289 posts, read 248,441 times
Running is fine but don't neglect resistance training

Old 06-07-2019, 03:07 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,445 times
Running is a great weight loss tool (at least for me) - I can't keep the weight on when I run regularly! But it is tough on your joints. Make sure to incorporate rest days and listen to your body and joints. If they need an extra rest day, then give it to them!

It's the only cardio I get, so I just keep running!

Old 06-12-2019, 10:51 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
For me, it was boring, hard on my body and miserable...............YMMV, more power to you.

The real advantage for me with regards to running, quitting.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:36 AM

937 posts, read 743,990 times
I absolutely love running. I was spinning for a few years but have now switched back to running 4-5 times a week and notice my legs, back, and general core have strengthened, toned, and firmed up more so than with the spinning. It's a fantastic stress reliever and I still get a runner's high after each run. I love pushing through the challenge and the feeling of completing the run each time. Mood and positive outlook on life have also improved due in part to the feel good brain chemicals. I get zero pain or aches from running and can go for about 35-40 minutes per run. It's hot where I live and so the heat can become uncomfortable and suffocating if I don't run under shade and trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss