Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 04:05 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,275,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Where do you get your information from youtube
Still can't read.

I get my information from MY OWN ACTUAL TEST RESULTS FROM A LAB.
Then an ACTUAL doctor (not a wannabe internet one) reads these labs. They are SPECIFIC TO MY CASE.
My numbers are all outstanding. They ask me how I achieved these results and I tell them.
They tell me I'm doing great and carry on. See you in 6 months or a year, depending on the doctor.

That is how it works out there in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 05:00 PM

21,921 posts, read 25,242,581 times
The guy doing the Twinkie diet also had good lab results. What you eat just isn't as important as how much you eat. That doesn't mean scoops of butter and vegetable oil in your coffee or Twinkies are ideal ways of cutting calories. At the end of the day though that you do cut the calories matters a lot and how you do it matters less. So if scoops of butter and vegetable oil coffee or Twinkies is what works for someone to cut calories, good for them. Not a diet I would follow but obviously they can work. At least short term. I suspect that a diet of butter and vegetable oil or Twinkies in the longer run is going to lead to issues. Eventually you'd probably need to figure out a more well-rounded diet than something that extreme.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:04 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,275,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The guy doing the Twinkie diet also had good lab results.
Lab results are only part of it. It's important to discuss everything with your doctors and follow their recommendations.
All of mine know exactly what I am doing. I'm skeptical that they would approve of the Twinkie Diet.

Last edited by eaton53; 06-14-2019 at 05:16 PM..

Old 06-15-2019, 03:58 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,020,891 times
Quote:
<snipped>
-Fats are NOT BAD, in fact, fats are important for satiety, hair/skin health, hormonal health, etc. Do not neglect dietary fats. Fats are TASTY!
-Aim for 1-2 grams per kg of body weight, or 0.5-1 grams per lb of body weight.
2 grams per pound of body weight?!?! No thank you, that would send me to the bathroom for at least an hour.... And it sounds incredibly disgusting!

0.5 is about what I average. I have no idea what kind of fats they are, I just aim for an overall healthy-ish diet.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:02 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,046,590 times
Quote:
FATS
-Fats are NOT BAD, in fact, fats are important for satiety, hair/skin health, hormonal health, etc. Do not neglect dietary fats. Fats are TASTY!
-Aim for 1-2 grams per kg of body weight, or 0.5-1 grams per lb of body weight. Aim for the lower target if
Omega-3 Fats
Omega-3 fatty acids are a type of polyunsaturated fatty acid that may help to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
2 grams per pound of body weight?!?! No thank you, that would send me to the bathroom for at least an hour.... And it sounds incredibly disgusting!

He didn't say 2 grams per pound; he wrote 1-2 grams per kilogram.

Quote:
0.5 is about what I average. I have no idea what kind of fats they are, I just aim for an overall healthy-ish diet.
And that is right in the range of what he said you should eat. Still think it sounds incredibly disgusting?

Old 06-15-2019, 10:28 AM

289 posts, read 249,165 times
If you consume healthy lean Proteins its not that difficult to make these numbers.
Eating lean protein is more satisfying will keep you full longer and you burn more calories processing it.
It's critical for the process of maintaining lean body mass, on a diet your trying to lose body fat not lean body mass.
Most of the world do use metric measurements

Typical for me
one large chicken breast 13 oz 72g Protein
Nonfat greek yogurt 400g 41g Protein
Trout 10 oz 60g Protein
That's 173 g protein in just over 1000 calories

Then adding carbs and healthy fats

Old 06-15-2019, 10:33 AM

289 posts, read 249,165 times
Some research on the importance Protein

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ou-lose-weight

Old 06-15-2019, 01:32 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,020,891 times
Oh thank goodness it wasn't 2 grams per pound. I'm not surprised I misread it - I knew the post was way too many words for me to bother with....

And yes, I'm still disgusted. The mere idea of 2 grams of fat per pound of body weight - blech blech blech!

Old 06-21-2019, 07:30 PM

14,570 posts, read 23,102,143 times
Quote:
Oh thank goodness it wasn't 2 grams per pound. I'm not surprised I misread it - I knew the post was way too many words for me to bother with....

And yes, I'm still disgusted. The mere idea of 2 grams of fat per pound of body weight - blech blech blech!
About the only people who need 2 grams/pound of protein are professional bodybuilders on steroids. For everyone else I suggest 1 gram per pound of lean body mass, give or take some depending on their current situation.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:38 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,191,694 times
Quote:
One meal a day
A controlled trial of reduced meal frequency without caloric restriction in healthy, normal-weight, middle-aged adults.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2645638/

subjects had a significant increase in hunger; a significant modification of body composition, including reductions in fat mass; significant increases in blood pressure and in total, LDL-, and HDL-cholesterol concentrations; and a significant decrease in concentrations of cortisol.

Did you read the entire article or just the little snippet at the beginning? I read the entire article and this is what their conclusion was:

In conclusion, altered meal frequency is feasible in healthy, normal-weight, middle-aged men and women. Consumption of 1 meal/d resulted in weight loss and a decrease in fat mass with little modification in calorie consumption.

Also this:
Overweight men and women showed that consumption of 1 meal/d, with caloric restriction, improved blood pressure and heart rate after exercise

The observed increase in blood pressure in our subject population consuming 1 meal/d may be due to a circadian rhythm in blood pressure (23). Diurnal changes may have occurred, because blood pressure measurements were obtained in the late afternoon in the 1 meal/d diet versus early morning in the 3 meals/d.

You can go ahead and follow whatever healthy living "diet" you want to. You are not an expert on your preferred diet, anymore than I am an expert at mine. The difference is I don't go around posting my preferred diet on every single thread. I also don't post links to articles to try to prove a point, but then I don't actually read the entire article, and end up looking foolish.

Good day to you sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss