Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 12:36 AM

289 posts, read 249,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Did you read the entire article or just the little snippet at the beginning? I read the entire article and this is what their conclusion was:

In conclusion, altered meal frequency is feasible in healthy, normal-weight, middle-aged men and women. Consumption of 1 meal/d resulted in weight loss and a decrease in fat mass with little modification in calorie consumption.

Also this:
Overweight men and women showed that consumption of 1 meal/d, with caloric restriction, improved blood pressure and heart rate after exercise

The observed increase in blood pressure in our subject population consuming 1 meal/d may be due to a circadian rhythm in blood pressure (23). Diurnal changes may have occurred, because blood pressure measurements were obtained in the late afternoon in the 1 meal/d diet versus early morning in the 3 meals/d.

You can go ahead and follow whatever healthy living "diet" you want to. You are not an expert on your preferred diet, anymore than I am an expert at mine. The difference is I don't go around posting my preferred diet on every single thread. I also don't post links to articles to try to prove a point, but then I don't actually read the entire article, and end up looking foolish.

Good day to you sir.
I do have a two year diploma in Nutrition and Human Kinetics so have more of an idea then yourself. Ask just about any registered dietitian out there and they won't recommend a fasting diet for their clients.

Why because these types of diets will lead some people to develop eating disorders, as part of my diploma I volunteered to work on a hospital ward for people with eating disorders a common theme was that they fasted lost some weight so if a little was good more was better some did not recover.

Now obviously not everyone by a long margin but why take the risk of premoteing this on a public forum. People get desperate with body image and will try any quick fix, city data weight loss forum seems full of posts (there's one on the first page now) promoting the use of band drugs for weight loss. HGC diet slim 4 life etc. Links to youtube videos that are premoteing worthless supplements and worse, this is not good information.
People treat them like some form cult.

There is no evidence that there is any advantage in IF over any other calorie restricted diet

Like all the fad diets give it a couple years and there will be a new one

The Atkins diet.
The Dukan diet. ...
The lemon detox diet. ...
Ketogenic diet. ...
The zone diet. ...
Paleo diet. ...
Baby food diet. ...
Cabbage soup diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 09:04 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,048,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
There is no evidence that there is any advantage in IF over any other calorie restricted diet

Like all the fad diets give it a couple years and there will be a new one

The Atkins diet.
The Dukan diet. ...
The lemon detox diet. ...
Ketogenic diet. ...
The zone diet. ...
Paleo diet. ...
Baby food diet. ...
Cabbage soup diet.
Mike, I agree with a lot of what you post on this board, particularly as it relates to CICO, but I think that you're in error when it comes to IF. And the reason that I think that way is because you mischaracterize it as a diet. It's not a diet; it's a way of eating or leading a certain lifestyle. It is no more a "diet" than saying people should eat 3 meals a days, or should "graze" by eating 5-6 small meals every few hours. If you tell someone they should eat three meals a day, you're not putting them on a diet unless you instruct them on a healthy and proper way to consume those meals.

The same is true with IF. People can lose weight on IF, they can maintain their current weight on IF, or they can gain wait if they consume too many calories. As I've mentioned before, I, myself, have basically always practiced IF (even before there was a name for it), simply because I've never been a breakfast person (just having black coffee until noon or so) and I don't snack late at night. Consequently, I usually eat within an 8-hour window of from 12-8pm. This would be characterized as a 16:8 IF schedule even though I don't actively try to adhere to it.

Moreover, stating that some people with eating disorders may gravitate to IF (or may develop a disorder) is not a reason to dismiss it. The same can be said of veganism, but that is not a reason to dismiss it as a dangerous fad.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:24 AM

21,921 posts, read 25,248,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Mike, I agree with a lot of what you post on this board, particularly as it relates to CICO, but I think that you're in error when it comes to IF. And the reason that I think that way is because you mischaracterize it as a diet. It's not a diet; it's a way of eating or leading a certain lifestyle. It is no more a "diet" than saying people should eat 3 meals a days, or should "graze" by eating 5-6 small meals every few hours. If you tell someone they should eat three meals a day, you're not putting them on a diet unless you instruct them on a healthy and proper way to consume those meals.

The same is true with IF. People can lose weight on IF, they can maintain their current weight on IF, or they can gain wait if they consume too many calories. As I've mentioned before, I, myself, have basically always practiced IF (even before there was a name for it), simply because I've never been a breakfast person (just having black coffee until noon or so) and I don't snack late at night. Consequently, I usually eat within an 8-hour window of from 12-8pm. This would be characterized as a 16:8 IF schedule even though I don't actively try to adhere to it.

Moreover, stating that some people with eating disorders may gravitate to IF (or may develop a disorder) is not a reason to dismiss it. The same can be said of veganism, but that is not a reason to dismiss it as a dangerous fad.
Maybe comparable. There's a lot of overlap between veganism and eating disorders. In and of itself, veganism is fine. It's definitely more difficult than eating vegetarian or omnivore but by no means an eating disorder. I think partly it just attracts people who are predisposed to eating disorder. Vegan or not they're already borderline but veganism pushes them over. Example would be all these influencer types that keep getting "outted" for putting meat in their mouths. They are already people with poor relationships with food. The story is pretty similar. They make poor food choices which on a vegan diet there's less room to do. That leads to pronounced ill effects on their health but they continue to eat vegan, the definition of an eating disorder. One day the discovery by adding some meat back into their diet their health improves as they were severely malnurished. So they make small amounts of meat a regular item in their diet. Then they get caught and the cult of looney tune vegan militants goes wild.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if IF has a similar following. Can you do it and it's healthy? Absolutely. But it also attracts people who already have poor relationships with food and very marginal dietary habits. Some of them are using it as an excuse to consider eating diets high in poor food options (cheese burgers, pizzas, french fries, sodas). IF can actually reinforce that behavior. If your diet consists of a lot of low energy density food (greens, salads, vegetables), particularly OMAD becomes difficult. Typically I eat a huge salad three times a week. There's really no way I could eat that salad on an OMAD/IF schedule. I'm freaking stuffed afterwords because I'm stuffing my face full of lettuce, bell pepper, cucumber, spinach, onion, etc. Probably only around 1,000 calories. I'd have to cut way back on the low energy density food if OMAD as I eat around 2,600 calorie a day. Even on my normal two meal a day routine I still don't get enough calories on salad days, which helps even out those other days when I eat too much.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:49 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,331,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
lol because you don't believe in scientific studies.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1126115842.htm
Intermittent fasting: No advantage over conventional weight loss diets
Followed the link that you provided to prove your point?

Below is the first statement you see if you follow your link.
I just put in bold what several different people were trying to mention to you in multiple posts to you.

“Intermittent fasting helps lose weight and promotes health. However, it is not superior to conventional calorie restriction diets, scientists have found out in the largest investigation on intermittent fasting to date. The scientists conclude that there are many paths leading to a healthier weight Everybody must find a diet plan that fits them best and then just do it!”

So in fact you just proved your opponents point
Just saying.

Last edited by Nik4me; 06-23-2019 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-23-2019, 03:10 PM

289 posts, read 249,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Followed the link that you provided to prove your point?

Below is the first statement you see if you follow your link.
I just put in bold what several different people were trying to mention to you in multiple posts to you.

“Intermittent fasting helps lose weight and promotes health. However, it is not superior to conventional calorie restriction diets, scientists have found out in the largest investigation on intermittent fasting to date. The scientists conclude that there are many paths leading to a healthier weight Everybody must find a diet plan that fits them best and then just do it!”

So in fact you just proved your opponents point
Just saying.

Why opponent seems a crazy comment to make, I have even said in previous posts that I have and still use occasionally 16/8 eating pattern but.

Some people seem to think a fasting diet gives them greater weight loss than eating the same foods over a longer time frame it doesn't.

It's not so much the 16/8 pattern that gives problems with eating disorders its the ones that do two day plus fasts then come of binge and keep doing the same.

Improving your body composition is pretty simple.

Determine your maintenance calories experimentally over the course of a few weeks (by cutting a sizeable deficit and comparing your actual results to expected results).

Then maintain a caloric deficit with sufficient protein intake, and you'll get what you want.

If making it more complicated than that somehow keeps you motivated and helps you with adherence, that's great, but those are really the only few things that are necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss