Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:09 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,829,980 times

Advertisements

Children need to eat in the morning and should not be subjected to any kind of fasting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 09:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,913,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Children need to eat in the morning and should not be subjected to any kind of fasting.

That's correct: the very young or the very old, pregnant women, people with illnesses, all kinds of exceptions.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I was referring to adults.

I can't comment on breakfast for children as the studies I read are for adults b/c I'm and adult.
Overweight and unhealthy children could probably stand to skip breakfast. Something that may be more common these days with video games and couch potatoes. PE is not always a big priority at school for a lot of kids either. Another thing to mention is the breakfast food that a lot of kids get like sugary cereals, something that I would consider not too healthy.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:13 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,580,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL. What do you mean that you agree to disagree? What you stated is factually incorrect. There are countless studies that have shown that children who eat breakfast do better in school and are otherwise healthier than children who don't have breakfast. Do I really need to list several of them here to prove that your "not one" statement is false?
This information is potentially skewered and entirely incidental. Children with ready access to food likely also have access to a better quality of life than those who suffer from food insecurity. They would be more likely to come from a home where education is promoted and supported, have access to proper healthcare and the luxury of a safe place to sleep.

You could also make the argument that children who wear shoes without holes in the sole do better in school than those with holes, and that would also be proven.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:39 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,034,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
This information is potentially skewered and entirely incidental. Children with ready access to food likely also have access to a better quality of life than those who suffer from food insecurity. They would be more likely to come from a home where education is promoted and supported, have access to proper healthcare and the luxury of a safe place to sleep.

You could also make the argument that children who wear shoes without holes in the sole do better in school than those with holes, and that would also be proven.
I realize that you qualified your response with the word potentially, but you might want to actually look at some of those studies before reaching your unsubstantiated conclusion. (And I assume you meant skewed, not skewered.) The studies I read usually stated that the researchers reached their conclusions after controlling for socioeconomic conditions. Which would make your facetious example irrelevant.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:25 AM

21,886 posts, read 25,195,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
With due respect, we agree to disagree.

Breakfast can certainly work for some people - who are very active and exercise regularly.

Otherwise, it's just a manufactured "meal."

There is a recent book released called "Three square meals" about the settlers to the Americas from Europe who brought the concept of breakfast to North America.

Breakfast came into in the our western vernacular about 300 years ago.

Before that, it was not important, and for the last several decades our lifestyles have been more sedentary.

Making breakfast even less relevant.

The human body does NOT need breakfast.
Well, we don't. You aren't disagreeing with me. You're disagreeing with the data because you don't like what it says.

Indeed, meals are a human construct. So is language. That's not relevant to any point I can see other than as a distraction to what you really mean which is you dont like what the scientific data says so you're coming up with irrelevant tangents. If you have an actual point otherwise, I've missed it at any rate. Breakfast is understoos as a meal eaten at the beginning of the day. The day is also a human concept with an understood meaning. It's a lot easier to say breakfast than consumption of food during a specified period of the rotation if the earth around the sun that to most people temporally corresponds in relative proximity to the rising from sleep.

Last edited by Malloric; 07-03-2019 at 11:38 AM..

Old 07-03-2019, 11:32 AM

21,886 posts, read 25,195,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Overweight and unhealthy children could probably stand to skip breakfast. Something that may be more common these days with video games and couch potatoes. PE is not always a big priority at school for a lot of kids either. Another thing to mention is the breakfast food that a lot of kids get like sugary cereals, something that I would consider not too healthy.
How are you using and in that sentence.

Do you mean a kid who is overweight and has leukemia should skip breakfast but not just a kid who is either overweight or has leukemia?

Do you mean that a kid who is either overweight or has leukemia should skip breakfast?

Either way, it's a very strange comment. the vast majority of fat kids aren't unhealthy. If they are, it the fact that they are fat is almost always incidental. Being fat doesn't catch up to most people until well until adulthood.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:53 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,580,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I realize that you qualified your response with the word potentially, but you might want to actually look at some of those studies before reaching your unsubstantiated conclusion. (And I assume you meant skewed, not skewered.) The studies I read usually stated that the researchers reached their conclusions after controlling for socioeconomic conditions. Which would make your facetious example irrelevant.
Nope, I meant to use skewered. Clearly referring to pieces of meat impaled on a stick made sense in the context of the sentence it was part of.

And I have looked into the various studies and always consider the sources. The Internet has proved my theory that if you search long enough you can find a source to cite that supports your position and contradicts one you don't agree with. As relates to breakfast, I neither accept or reject the assertion that it's the most pivotal meal in determining a persons chances to succeed in life. I only questioned the point that it was connected to improved test scores in children.

Run a test trial where you give a healthy breakfast to children in low income neighborhoods but provide them with no additional improvements and see how they fare. Now that would prove the theory for me.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:07 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,784,983 times
Breakfast has always been the most important meal in my long life, I never skip it and eat a hearty one....

Fasting, I fast every night for about 12 hrs or so from when I go to sleep from when I eat breakfast at about 9:30am.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:06 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
How are you using and in that sentence.

Do you mean a kid who is overweight and has leukemia should skip breakfast but not just a kid who is either overweight or has leukemia?

Do you mean that a kid who is either overweight or has leukemia should skip breakfast?

Either way, it's a very strange comment. the vast majority of fat kids aren't unhealthy. If they are, it the fact that they are fat is almost always incidental. Being fat doesn't catch up to most people until well until adulthood.
Don't get out much?

Childhood obesity is an epidemic and comes from BAD eating habits and SURELY does not wait till adulthood to catch up with people. It is not a strange comment, it's a reality and again I guess you don't get out much and who in the hell is talking about leukemia. I am talking about overweight kids and there are MANY and last time I checked being obese is NOT healthy under any circumstances.

How old are you? just wondering. Childhood obesity was not that big of a problem in the past, but it sure has become one, again from bad food, bad eating habits and lack of exercise. Bad parenting is usually to blame and in those cases, the chances are high the parents are fat too.

If anything, your comments are getting stranger. Leukemia? really?

From the CDC, 1 in 5 are obese, that's 20%. It's not as bad as adults but it's not incidental as you describe it.
Quote:
In the United States, the percentage of children and adolescents affected by obesity has more than tripled since the 1970s.1 Data from 2015-2016 show that nearly 1 in 5 school age children and young people (6 to 19 years) in the United States has obesity.

Many factors contribute to childhood obesity, including:

Genetics
Metabolism—how your body changes food and oxygen into energy it can use.
Eating and physical activity behaviors.
Community and neighborhood design and safety.
Short sleep duration.
Negative childhood events
https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/obesity/facts.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss