Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 23,032 times

Advertisements

So I've made some changes to my diet in mid April and have been steadily losing weight since. I'm male and 30 yrs old. I was about 250 and am down to 228 today. I do plan to start working out, but I kind of wanted to lose a little more weight before passing out on a treadmill at the gym.

My question is about my weight loss seems to be going a different route than most peoples. I often read about how hard it is to lose belly fat, but while I still have a belly, that and my waist is where I pretty much see the difference. I realize this is ideal for health reasons, but my thighs, rear, and my chest are just as fat as they used to be. Somehow luckily my arms never carried much fat.

Is this something that can only go away with weight lifting? or will those areas just be the last to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 03:45 PM

289 posts, read 248,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooRadley91 View Post
So I've made some changes to my diet in mid April and have been steadily losing weight since. I'm male and 30 yrs old. I was about 250 and am down to 228 today. I do plan to start working out, but I kind of wanted to lose a little more weight before passing out on a treadmill at the gym.

My question is about my weight loss seems to be going a different route than most peoples. I often read about how hard it is to lose belly fat, but while I still have a belly, that and my waist is where I pretty much see the difference. I realize this is ideal for health reasons, but my thighs, rear, and my chest are just as fat as they used to be. Somehow luckily my arms never carried much fat.

Is this something that can only go away with weight lifting? or will those areas just be the last to go?
Ok so you can't spot reduce fat.

Were you store fat is down to genetics.

Most men will lose the fat last on belly and love handles last, but we are all different so you have to get very lean before this disappears.

Regardless your body composition and health will be greatly improved by doing resistance training.

You don't mention how tall you are? but at 228 your still very overweight just keep cutting and add weight training. Going to take some time though.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 23,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
You don't mention how tall you are?.
5'10. Have always been on the heavier side with 250ish being the max. The past few years I've been working 2 jobs and eating take out for lunch and dinner which made things worse. Now that I've got a new job to replace both, I cooking again, and bought a membership so I'll start working out soon. Goal was to at least get 200 by December, hoping to surpass that now though

Old 06-20-2019, 09:33 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Everyone's body is different. They all like to hold fat in different places. I know women who can slim down everywhere but still have big boobs. Me, I'd have to have pretty much no body fat anywhere else to noticeably lose fat from my rear. I know a guy who's pretty muscular for the most part but his body just loves keeping fat around his midsection and that's pretty much the only place he has any. Etc. You now know where your body likes to store fat and where fat is less likely to hang out tenaciously.

Fat loss is fat loss. As someone else said, you can't spot reduce, and one form of losing fat is the same as another, whether you run or lift. Yes, the fat will go from your "problem areas" eventually, but it's probably going to take longer than other areas.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:38 PM

If you keep things sensible you should make that goal no problem, to get the body you want though probably going to be under 180. Ready for next summer.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 3,421 times
Hi BooRadley. You just have to focus on some of the exercises. Don't go too fast but consistency is important. If you are losing weight, then you will see changes in all of your body. And have a focus on parts which are still having fat. So just work on them. And I know you can do it. Just keep it up.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zckparker5 View Post
Hi BooRadley. You just have to focus on some of the exercises. Don't go too fast but consistency is important. If you are losing weight, then you will see changes in all of your body. And have a focus on parts which are still having fat. So just work on them. And I know you can do it. Just keep it up.

You can't spot reduce fat

Old 09-03-2019, 06:33 PM

11 posts, read 6,319 times
consistency is key to any weight loss or health maintenance. I don't believe in spot reducing or losing to just one area. when you lose weight, you lose it EVERYWHERE. however, you can workout and tone certain areas of your body along with losing weight and that will essentially give you maximum results, as long as you are consistent with your diet.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:12 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
First place I put on weight is my gutroll, last place to lose is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss