Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 09:08 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
The only negative about the coconut oil I see is that if you put it in the fridge, it's so hard you can't get it out of the container. Alternatively, if I leave it out, it's hot in my kitchen and it becomes a jar of clear liquid.

I made cornbread in an iron skillet this morning, ladeling some of the oil in the skillet and heating that in the oven before pouring in the batter. This makes a brown crust which is nice and reminiscent of grandma's cornbread. Nice for later with beans or soup. I also fried some breaded okra in the coconut oil.

I just wonder if it will go bad in the heat, over time?
It's not really a negative, it's the nature of it. It does have a shelf life and it should say on the package. It is at least a year or more. There is no need to place it in the fridge so you can eliminate that problem. It will turn solid below 76f, so if you leave it room temperature and your house is warm enough, it should be fine.

Olive oil will turn solid as well in the fridge. I don't store it in the fridge but I do store my salad dressing in the fridge which contains olive oil and vinegar. The temp to turn solid for olive oil is 37f to 39f depending on the type.

One use I have for it is flax muffins, I really like them and I've found a recipe I like and is easy. Plenty of vitamins, minerals, good fats and fiber, kind of an all-in-one type thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 09:12 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's not really a negative, it's the nature of it. It does have a shelf life and it should say on the package. It is at least a year or more. There is no need to place it in the fridge so you can eliminate that problem. It will turn solid below 76f, so if you leave it room temperature and your house is warm enough, it should be fine.

Olive oil will turn solid as well in the fridge. I don't store it in the fridge but I do store my salad dressing in the fridge which contains olive oil and vinegar. The temp to turn solid for olive oil is 37f to 39f depending on the type.

One use I have for it is flax muffins, I really like them and I've found a recipe I like and is easy. Plenty of vitamins, minerals, good fats and fiber, kind of an all-in-one type thing.
Okay, thank you. Good to know. I stopped buying the olive oil entirely.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:44 AM

8 posts, read 4,176 times
Hello,

I use coconut oil for its antifungal compound. I also cook with it as it doesn't burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss