Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 02:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,911,209 times

Advertisements

The other thing to remember are the effects of autophagy. Rat studies aside, there are a lot of folks on Facebook groups and YouTube, who are not selling any products or books, and who have lost a ton of weight without the loose skin issue. Maybe it's some kind of vast conspiracy and they're all lying. But if not, what it means is you don't have to have skin removal surgery if you lose a lot of weight on IF. That's pretty good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 03:06 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,780 times
I don't use IF daily, more like twice per week.
I have not lost a pound, not a single one.
I have a spastic colon and the only time it is not "angry" is when it is empty. Therefore, my quality of life has improved, for on my IF days, I am not in pain, or not in as much pain.

During eating times, I eat "clean"...e.g. the only foods I consume are vegetables, nuts, a few eggs and even less meat than eggs. No dairy, wheat, corn, peanuts, or processed foods. The only bad thing I do is drink coffee with (almond based) creamer.

I also exercise 10 hours/week. I have done all of this my entire adult life. Most people would be a size 0 if they did half of what I do. I am built kind of like a pudgy and saggy version of JLo. Best I can do apparently. Maybe I should try IF EVERY day. Have you tried that? Let me know thoughts.....

Old 07-29-2019, 04:01 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,262,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Best I can do apparently. Maybe I should try IF EVERY day. Have you tried that? Let me know thoughts.....
I do it almost every day. I'm a diabetic and my insulin use is way down.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:06 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,422,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I don't use IF daily, more like twice per week.
I have not lost a pound, not a single one.
I have a spastic colon and the only time it is not "angry" is when it is empty. Therefore, my quality of life has improved, for on my IF days, I am not in pain, or not in as much pain.

During eating times, I eat "clean"...e.g. the only foods I consume are vegetables, nuts, a few eggs and even less meat than eggs. No dairy, wheat, corn, peanuts, or processed foods. The only bad thing I do is drink coffee with (almond based) creamer.

I also exercise 10 hours/week. I have done all of this my entire adult life. Most people would be a size 0 if they did half of what I do. I am built kind of like a pudgy and saggy version of JLo. Best I can do apparently. Maybe I should try IF EVERY day. Have you tried that? Let me know thoughts.....
I have been doing it every day for 1.5 week and I am seeing results. I workout about 9 hours a week, but my eating has been good for the most part, but with some a couple unhealthy meals per week.

Mentally I am a lot more focused, and I can tell I am losing weight.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:33 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Fasting and exercise, at least for me, doesn't work. My body needs fuel for what I do. 9-10 hrs? that's a heck of a lot, I've scaled down to 4 or so hours per week as after awhile training took up too much of my ever decreasing time. I've been ok, even with less time.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:55 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,262,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Fasting and exercise, at least for me, doesn't work. My body needs fuel for what I do. 9-10 hrs? that's a heck of a lot, I've scaled down to 4 or so hours per week as after awhile training took up too much of my ever decreasing time. I've been ok, even with less time.
I seem to do cardio better on empty.
I had to eat before cardio a couple of weeks ago (low blood sugar) and I felt very weighed down and sluggish.
But other people run out of gas if they haven't eaten anything.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:03 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,713,819 times
I just started last week (07/21) so I am very new. It is just easier for me to not eat during my fasting period than to count calories, weigh carbs vs. protein, or have a set meal plan.

I do 16/8 right now and give myself Saturday night/Sunday morning off. And I drink lots of lemon water

I feel better, my BP has gone down, and I have more energy. Too soon for any weight loss, but I will see how I am in another month or so.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
I just started last week (07/21) so I am very new. It is just easier for me to not eat during my fasting period than to count calories, weigh carbs vs. protein, or have a set meal plan.

I do 16/8 right now and give myself Saturday night/Sunday morning off. And I drink lots of lemon water

I feel better, my BP has gone down, and I have more energy. Too soon for any weight loss, but I will see how I am in another month or so.
Awesome to hear. I started a week before you did, and it's going awesome for me. You really start to realize how much you are "trained" to eat all day. There is this certain freedom that I feel during my fasting hours.

With that being said I just finished a 36 hour fast this morning, and it was awesome. Aside from a few hunger pangs it wasn't that bad. I woke this morning and technically I hit 38 hours of fasting, and when I awoke I wasn't even that hungry. I actually forced myself to eat breakfast.

I have been doing 18:6 for the most part, trying to throw some 20:4's in there, and 16:8's when it I might have more going on socially where I will be around food (or the activity revolves around food). I think I am going to do a 36 hour fast every month, the last day of the month based on the success of this last one.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:19 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Awesome to hear. I started a week before you did, and it's going awesome for me. You really start to realize how much you are "trained" to eat all day. There is this certain freedom that I feel during my fasting hours.

With that being said I just finished a 36 hour fast this morning, and it was awesome. Aside from a few hunger pangs it wasn't that bad. I woke this morning and technically I hit 38 hours of fasting, and when I awoke I wasn't even that hungry. I actually forced myself to eat breakfast.

I have been doing 18:6 for the most part, trying to throw some 20:4's in there, and 16:8's when it I might have more going on socially where I will be around food (or the activity revolves around food). I think I am going to do a 36 hour fast every month, the last day of the month based on the success of this last one.

I will try to do longer fasting periods as well, eventually. My love affair with food and snacking has been going on for many years. LOL.

I agree about the freedom part, and how it is ingrained in me about eating "3 meals a day" …. its been so easy to just skip breakfast and keep it moving

I slipped last night and had Halo ice cream after I should have started my fast and I am not beating myself up about it, just gonna do my 16 hours and be better tonight.

Thank you for the encouragement and good job on your fasting!

Old 08-01-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
I will try to do longer fasting periods as well, eventually. My love affair with food and snacking has been going on for many years. LOL.

I agree about the freedom part, and how it is ingrained in me about eating "3 meals a day" …. its been so easy to just skip breakfast and keep it moving

I slipped last night and had Halo ice cream after I should have started my fast and I am not beating myself up about it, just gonna do my 16 hours and be better tonight.

Thank you for the encouragement and good job on your fasting!
I feel your pain. I was a horrible grazer and snacker. Always eating things here and there.

Download the app called "Zero". Trust me it will help you stay on track and it's the only reason I have been so disciplined. The app was created for intermittent fasters and it's so easy to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss