Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 01:05 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,879 times

Advertisements

I am curious for those that have changed your eating styles to intermittent fasting what have you seen in changes both physically and emotionally?

I just started doing 18/6 type intermittent fasting and honestly hasn't been that bad, and I have noticed I am a lot more focused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 03:52 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Physically, I lost 6 pant sizes.
Emotionally, nothing changed.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:00 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
Stupid me, I didn't buy a scale until six weeks in, but I've lost I'm guessing, around 40 lbs. in the last year.

The other advantage is no loose skin, which a lot of folks report with IF. This, I assume, is a function of autophagy since I did OMAD and numerous 2+ day fasts, as well.

Emotionally? I feel more feminine, younger, happier.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 07-24-2019 at 06:38 PM..

Old 07-24-2019, 11:04 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
I started my weight loss journey on January 4th. To date I've lost 34 pounds and I went from weighting 150 to currently I weigh 115 pounds. I am no longer trying to lose weight, but instead I have been maintaining my weight somewhere between 115 and 120 pounds for the past month and a half. I am 41 years old and I weigh what I did when I was 16/17.

Physically I finally feel comfortable enough with my body to wear a one piece bathing suit without shorts or a skirt on over my suit. I am wearing the same size clothing as my 15 year old daughter.

I also have noticed that I have more energy since I started fasting, and that I am less hangry. My moods are much more consistent.

My husband has been doing Intermittent Fasting since March and he's lost 44 pounds. He's been obese since he was probably in his early twenties. He's now six pounds away from a healthy weight. He has more energy, he is way more active now. We take six mile walks together nightly, before IF he wouldn't have had as much stamina for those walks, or our hikes that we do. He looks great and feels even better.

Our lives have changed for the better thanks to I.F. Hubby was probably on the cusp of diabetes, a heart attack, stroke etc. Now we are both living healthier lives and we are committed to this new lifestyle change.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:09 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,869 times
I have more control over food now, instead of food controlling me. I also do 18:6 IF and it seems to be the perfect schedule for me.

I started over a year ago, lost weight and am now happily maintaining!

Old 07-25-2019, 08:26 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,879 times
This is great. While I am only like 10-15 pounds overweight, I want to really consistently better manage how I eat, and IF is helping me do this. Plus I just have a little bit of stubborn belly fat that I can't seem to lose. Hopefully IF will help.

I also plan on doing a 36 hour fast once a month. Not so much for weight loss but to cleanse my body and repair. So far I am really like I.F. It's only been a week and I am definitely seeing a difference.

Also I am using an app called Zero. If you do I.F. i highly recommend it. It's what keeps me on track.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:50 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
I do 16/8 generally and 24hr fast every so often. Haven't weighed myself but have lost and my A1C has gone down.

I think, in addition to feeling better overall, feeling my control over food, I also am liking NOT spinning about food since I essentially won't eat for those fasting hours.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:59 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
I just had an annual physical with a new doctor. She was very thorough and I liked her: tiny little Indian woman. But unless I'm mistaken, doctors tend to be conservative and stick with the training they got in med school. So when I told her my dietary practice, she said that IF only works initially and I should divide the food I eat in the OMAD into three to five meals during the day. I disagree but didn't say so.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 07-26-2019 at 10:22 AM..

Old 07-26-2019, 10:11 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
Dr. Jason Fung has a book out about diet that includes discussion of IF. I skip breakfast and sometimes lunch whenever I feel I’ve had too much to eat and feel bloated. I lost five pounds skipping breakfast and eating lightly for lunch for a week earlier this year. I have never actually dieted but would like to trim up a bit. This seems to work. Feeling better physically seems to be directly correlated to feeling better emotionally. Fung debunks a number of so-called myths about diet.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:09 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Dr. Jason Fung has a book out about diet that includes discussion of IF. I skip breakfast and sometimes lunch whenever I feel I’ve had too much to eat and feel bloated. I lost five pounds skipping breakfast and eating lightly for lunch for a week earlier this year. I have never actually dieted but would like to trim up a bit. This seems to work. Feeling better physically seems to be directly correlated to feeling better emotionally. Fung debunks a number of so-called myths about diet.
Fung debunks a lot of myths and much of what he says makes sense to me. For some, it doesn't matter, they will stick to their beliefs and try to debunk him. That is their prerogative of course but simple logic and what I've experienced with IF tells me that it is beneficial in several ways. It gives your endocrine and digestive systems a much-needed rest. It allows the body to heal itself. It allows you to burn fat. I do admit it is unthinkable for many which is why so many would never do it. Humans do not need to eat multiple meals per day unless they are underweight and malnourished. Most of us have the opposite problem. When you can't burn the food you eat right away, it is stored as fat. The reason to store fat is quite obvious but many ignore it, it is to provide us with energy when we need it. That energy will never be needed used if you keep stuffing food in your mouth. If you run on sugar (glucose), on a regular (SAD) diet, the carbohydrates you eat are stored in the muscles and tissues as glycogen. The body on average stores about 500g or 2000 calories of glycogen. The basal metabolic rate or the number of calories people burn while resting differs according to several factors such as gender, age, and weight. IF changes all of that. It allows you to burn your own stored energy. If the amount of glycogen is low, it will turn to fat, if it is not low, you can burn glycogen before it gets stored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss