Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 05:00 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I feel your pain. I was a horrible grazer and snacker. Always eating things here and there.

Download the app called "Zero". Trust me it will help you stay on track and it's the only reason I have been so disciplined. The app was created for intermittent fasters and it's so easy to use.
Thank you, I am going to get the app tonight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 02:46 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Many who do IF skip breakfast (although one does not need to).
I don't eat breakfast for breakfast, but sometimes I eat breakfast for dinner.

I've found that if I'm fasting longer, like 36 hrs, that I'm not at all hungry in the morning.
So I rarely fast for 36 hrs. I usually go between 40 & 48 hrs.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:34 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I don't eat breakfast for breakfast, but sometimes I eat breakfast for dinner.

I've found that if I'm fasting longer, like 36 hrs, that I'm not at all hungry in the morning.
So I rarely fast for 36 hrs. I usually go between 40 & 48 hrs.
That totally happened to me. I did my first 36 hour fast last week. Ever. And when I woke up the next morning, it was already 39 hours that had passed and I wasn't even hungry. I only really ate because I knew how empty my stomach was, so kind of forced myself to eat.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:02 PM

591 posts, read 663,965 times
I would love to find out more about this fasting, however, I am diabetic since 2000. I have been eating better since 2000. I have lost 56 lbs..I am still loosing. maybe 1lb a week. tell me something about this???? I do have to have breakfast.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybee View Post
I would love to find out more about this fasting, however, I am diabetic since 2000. I have been eating better since 2000. I have lost 56 lbs..I am still loosing. maybe 1lb a week. tell me something about this???? I do have to have breakfast.
I'm a diabetic but only eat dinner.
It doesn't matter which meal you have, just have one.

You've lost 56 lbs and are losing a lb a week... I wouldn't change a thing.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:23 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybee View Post
Intermittent fasting (IF) is about not eating for a period of time (fasting window), and then eating only during a shorter period of time (feeding window).

The most common form is 16:8 IF - where you fast for 16 hours a day (including sleep) and then eat for 8 hours each day, effectively skipping a meal. It doesn't matter which meal you skip. You could start your 8 hour window with breakfast, and then skip dinner.

Eaton is talking about one meal a day IF (OMAD), basically a 23:1 schedule where you fast for 23 hours a day and eat for one hour. There are lots of variations - 18:6, 20:4, 22:2, etc.

Another form of IF is 5:2. This is when you eat normally for 5 days each week, and for two non-consecutive days you eat around 500-600 calories (approximately 25% of your normal calories). I've read that this is good for diabetics.

Feel free to experiment and find if any of them work for you!

Old 08-08-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Another form of IF is 5:2. This is when you eat normally for 5 days each week, and for two non-consecutive days you eat around 500-600 calories (approximately 25% of your normal calories). I've read that this is good for diabetics.
I did this on Monday and Wednesday and threw in a day of complete fasting on Friday (I weigh in on Saturday).
Lost weight steadily, never got stuck. I attribute it to having multiple days per week without any insulin intake.

Since reaching my goal weight, I haven't changed much. I still fast on Fridays... single full day fasts are easy for me.
I also still do 600 calorie days if I have a free day, 1200-1500 if I don't. Everything's going good!

The two restricted days are the key to everything for me. I could easily go to zero on those days if the scale said I needed it.
Those few calories I take in do matter. You wouldn't think that would be the case, but it is... it's probably a diabetic thing.

Last edited by eaton53; 08-08-2019 at 05:42 AM..

Old 08-10-2019, 11:59 AM

66 posts, read 47,362 times
I try to do a 18/6 or sometimes a 20/4 if I go to bed early and had like 400 mg of caffeine. to be honest, some days its healthy carbs, some nights its horrible carbs. I just try to eat healthy as possible of course. Food from earth, Im not a vegan yet but I can feel myself being a vegan in the future.

Only bad side effects have experienced with IF is that increase testosterone and adrenaline without eating at certain times can put me into a hangry mood. I've learned to just be mindful of my thoughts if im fasting and socializing. nothing serious, just mainly at times in my hot car in traffic.

Future goals is to be able to do ADF a few days a week and still be able to work out. Plus just up to 20 hrs fasting with as less as caffeine as possible, I just dont think thats happening soon.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:33 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I lost 14 pounds, never felt hungry and like you, my thinking was more clear.

One poster here is a proponent of eating breakfast. That's fine for him.

Many who do IF skip breakfast (although one does not need to).

The evidence on the benefits of eating breakfast is scarce at best:

Here is an article I just read:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-fas...ad-11564676512
That's a great article; thank you for posting it. Autophagy is often ignored as an issue in arguments against fasting, which is an error, I believe, since it's such an important component of human health.

I only eat breakfast, though occasionally I'll have a second small meal-- maybe three or four times a month. I'll drink mineral water, green tea or Perrier, but don't feel deprived. I like the feeling of not-eating during the rest of the day. This month it's been a year since I took up this practice.

The only negative I can think of is that sometimes in the late evening I may feel little tugs of hunger pains. But I observe and acknowledge them without acting on them, and they go away in a few minutes. I'm always glad that I didn't eat, which is how I gained my weight in the first place. I'm not a child and my self-control and endurance is strong.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:31 AM

66 posts, read 47,362 times
I was once at 205 now im 170, trying to get to 155. Started eating fruits and veggies rather than pizza or hot pockets. Granted the apples and bananas are tons of carbs, its still healthy carbs over manufactured food from a factory in a box. I still eat mac n cheese some nights, and pizza like once a month now. Just simple rules for my diet on top of eating within a window. Its been very interesting counting calories now doing IF because before I wasn't of course. Eating within a short time frame makes it easy to remember how much you've eat and sort of makes my subconscious a little mindful of what Im all eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss