Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 11:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times

Advertisements

Lost 3-4 lbs in one day of 18 hour fast, then next day I ate only 1 meal. Had salad with apple cider vinegar then fish, followed by some eggs. I gained 1lb back from eating but the next day I lost another 3 lbs by eating only dinner and no sugar or starch foods. The most important thing is getting rid of the cravings.

One important thing that caused me to fail in the past was that I didn't realize I had salt deprivation. My heart rate was high and energy was low, then I watched some videos and realized that salt was the key. I drink a cup of water with one spoon of salt and I was better.

The main important thing for me is to get rid of insulin resistance and start burning fat instead of sugar for energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 12:17 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,909,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Lost 3-4 lbs in one day of 18 hour fast, then next day I ate only 1 meal. Had salad with apple cider vinegar then fish, followed by some eggs. I gained 1lb back from eating but the next day I lost another 3 lbs by eating only dinner and no sugar or starch foods. The most important thing is getting rid of the cravings.

One important thing that caused me to fail in the past was that I didn't realize I had salt deprivation. My heart rate was high and energy was low, then I watched some videos and realized that salt was the key. I drink a cup of water with one spoon of salt and I was better.

The main important thing for me is to get rid of insulin resistance and start burning fat instead of sugar for energy.
But that's your psysiology. If I drank a glass of water with a spoon of salt I would feel my blood pressure rising. Everyone is different.

It may be hereditary. Both of my parents took meds for hypertension. No strokes in the family, but probably because of the medication.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:24 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
But that's your psysiology. If I drank a glass of water with a spoon of salt I would feel my blood pressure rising. Everyone is different.

It may be hereditary. Both of my parents took meds for hypertension. No strokes in the family, but probably because of the medication.
Not necessarily, a true keto diet is like a diuretic. It makes you pee a lot, naturally you would lose a lot of salt. I routinely test low or borderline low on my lab work and I am always adding salt to my food. Yes, it actually shows an "L" next to the sodium test. It is a common thing with these type diets. On the other side of the coin, high carb intake will make you retain water and salt and raise BP. Yes it's the physiology but also the diet. By the way, potassium plays a very large part in BP and many will ignore it. KZ, have you looked at your sodium levels on lab work?, most do test for it

Top-3 Mineral Deficiencies On A Ketogenic Diet (And How To Fix It)
https://drbubbs.com/blog/2017/1/top-...-how-to-fix-it

Old 10-15-2019, 12:35 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,909,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Not necessarily, a true keto diet is like a diuretic. It makes you pee a lot, naturally you would lose a lot of salt. I routinely test low or borderline low on my lab work and I am always adding salt to my food. Yes, it actually shows an "L" next to the sodium test. It is a common thing with these type diets. On the other side of the coin, high carb intake will make you retain water and salt and raise BP. Yes it's the physiology but also the diet. By the way, potassium plays a very large part in BP and many will ignore it. KZ, have you looked at your sodium levels on lab work?, most do test for it

That's not relevant to me because I don't do keto.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
That's not relevant to me because I don't do keto.
I know this and I posted the link as a FYI.

I did state that the opposite is generally true, if you eat a diet high in carbohydrates, you will retain water and your sodium levels will be higher.

vision33r didn't actually say this but he is also probably LC in which case the low sodium would apply to him. The thread is on IF, not on BP.

Just a suggestion, you may want to look at your lab work to confirm if you are actually high in sodium.

Old 10-15-2019, 04:49 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Yes. People think that you'll be starving, but in reality your body adapts and you stop being hungry. It only took me a few days for my body to adjust to not having breakfast anymore, and now that I do more and more one meal days it no longer craves food at lunch either. It makes it easy to stay on track when you're not hungry.
Thank you. I appreciate the confirmation. Pretty cool!

Old 10-16-2019, 08:09 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,686,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Yes. People think that you'll be starving, but in reality your body adapts and you stop being hungry. It only took me a few days for my body to adjust to not having breakfast anymore, and now that I do more and more one meal days it no longer craves food at lunch either. It makes it easy to stay on track when you're not hungry.
I was starving. I done the 18/6 for a month and gained 10 pounds. I am glad it has worked for many including my wife. Great to read all the success stories.

For me it was horrible. I was insanely hungry ALL the time. Even after a meal I would feel very hungry, it was like I could not eat enough during my feeding time.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:44 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

I just solved a lot of my problems with keto and fasting by watching Dr.Berg youtube channel. He really covered why many people fail with keto and fasting. I am only able to sustain 4-6 hours of fasting prior to watching his videos. When you go on fasting or keto, your body is deprived of a lot of important nutrients that you don't get with the popular keto diet. That's why Atkins doesn't work. Salt has been blamed for high blood pressure but it's incorrect mainstream knowledge.

Dr. Berg explain why people get high blood pressure on a low salt diet, because when sodium is deprived your body gets more cravings to push you to eat and it forces your body to empty sodium reserves. I've been eating more salt lately and my rested heart rate as not gone up.

When you get very tired, you need to keep your sodium and potassium levels up by eating foods rich in those nutrients. Once reason that vegans have a lot of energy if they eat a lot of leafy plants like spinach.

I am able to push my fasting now to 18+ hours without cravings. I do feel hungry late but not a starvation hunger. I now only eat one meal and lost 6 lbs in 5 days. It feels great not to have that snack craving or this binge eating craving.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:29 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Once reason that vegans have a lot of energy if they eat a lot of leafy plants like spinach.
Not a vegan, but I've been having a lot of spinach in my giant salads.
Basically it's Sam's Club's quantities of romaine, spinach, broccoli and cauliflower with a few hard boiled eggs on top in a large mixing bowl.
I go through huge amounts of this stuff. Another good thing about it... it takes awhile to eat it all.

Sometimes I throw in a handful of cherry tomatoes for color.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Not a vegan, but I've been having a lot of spinach in my giant salads.
Basically it's Sam's Club's quantities of romaine, spinach, broccoli and cauliflower with a few hard boiled eggs on top in a large mixing bowl.
I go through huge amounts of this stuff. Another good thing about it... it takes awhile to eat it all.

Sometimes I throw in a handful of cherry tomatoes for color.
My favorite for some time now are "Greek" salads and I also fill up a very large bowl.

A large quantity of greens as you describe and I do often buy them at Sam's. I add cucumber, red/yellow/orange bell pepper, cherry or grape tomatoes, pepperocini and black olives. I then top with feta cheese and my own homemade vinaigrette.

The broccoli and cauliflower I prefer cooked and soft, also topped with feta cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss