Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you want to lose weight?
Health: blood pressure 11 22.92%
Health: diabetes 6 12.50%
Hea!th: heart disease 6 12.50%
Health: cancer 3 6.25%
Health: osteoarthritis 4 8.33%
Health: other 17 35.42%
Personal: love life 9 18.75%
Personal: self-esteem 26 54.17%
Professional: a requirement 2 4.17%
Professional: income related 3 6.25%
Aesthetic: fashion 8 16.67%
Other: please elaborate on your post 9 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 09:56 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,521,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
To update: the biopsy on my thyroid came back normal, but I spent 15 days thinking I was probably going to die. I don't want to be sick, especially since I remarried recently. Like others have said, it's very easy to gain, temptation to overdo it is very strong. And the older you get the harder it is to take it off.

I'm water fasting three days a week for a while.
Glad to hear the biopsy came back normal. Admittedly, now that I'm middle aged, I worry about such things all of the time. Not to the point of anxiety, but it's always there. I have cancer running in the family on both sides too.

And yes, it is VERY easy to gain, VERY easy to overeat. And VERY hard to lose excess weight when you're older. Additionally, the propensity for injury is high, which can sideline you exercise-wise. This just happened to me close to a year ago, I tore my shoulder due to bad training advice. I realized then that despite my phenomenal strength and invigorated body, I was still a middle aged woman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 11:21 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,918,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Glad to hear the biopsy came back normal. Admittedly, now that I'm middle aged, I worry about such things all of the time. Not to the point of anxiety, but it's always there. I have cancer running in the family on both sides too.

And yes, it is VERY easy to gain, VERY easy to overeat. And VERY hard to lose excess weight when you're older. Additionally, the propensity for injury is high, which can sideline you exercise-wise. This just happened to me close to a year ago, I tore my shoulder due to bad training advice. I realized then that despite my phenomenal strength and invigorated body, I was still a middle aged woman

Thank you. I had Stage 1A ovarian cancer seven years ago, so I expected the worst. I attribute dodging a bullet, twice, to my diet. Not to suggest vegans don't die eventually (Paul McCartney's wife, for example), but statistically I think we live 8-12 years longer. And healthy years. I'll be 70 soon and everyone tells me I look about 35.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:21 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,500,356 times
Quote:
To update: the biopsy on my thyroid came back normal, but I spent 15 days thinking I was probably going to die. I don't want to be sick, especially since I remarried recently. Like others have said, it's very easy to gain, temptation to overdo it is very strong. And the older you get the harder it is to take it off.

Congrats KZ.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Congrats KZ.
Thanks!

Old 10-10-2019, 01:20 PM

5,857 posts, read 5,303,215 times
Quote:

Glad it is normal.

Cat

Old 10-13-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Glad it is normal.

Cat
Yes, thank you. I am really, really grateful for my life.

Facebook:
Great group lesson yesterday! Six little budding conductors. Children are so brilliant. I love my life! So happy to be "teacher!" Parents seemed to enjoy it, too.

So happy to be alive. Didn't want to mention it, so not to worry anyone or in case it was nothing, and indeed, it was nothing. Thought for about two weeks I might have thyroid cancer, but I don't. Biopsy proved normal and there is no problem. So happy, as I wasn't looking forward to my teaching being interrupted.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:08 PM

5,203 posts, read 3,128,719 times
Because I love hearing relatives I haven’t seen in ten years say “where’s the other half of Tim?”. Feeling good again physically (no joint pains, snoring, GERD, high blood pressure) and wearing clothes that fit are the greatest rewards of weight loss.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:12 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,749,170 times
Since I lost a lot of weight in the mid-'90s, I've remained at my high-school/college weight of 155 lbs. I'm 76. I only eat when I'm hungry, and balance this with long (2-3 hr) walks around a series of lakes/ponds close to my residence.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:39 PM

25,637 posts, read 17,373,200 times
Other:
I was recently diagnosed with Caseous Mitral Annulus Calcification, which is so rare that there is no protocol. No one knows what is going to happen.
Right now, I have no symptoms other than a heart murmur. But at some point I may have to have a heart valve replacement, so my approach is to keep myself in as good health as possible. I would hate to need a new valve, but not be a good candidate for the operation.

So my approach is, keep my weight down, keep blood pressure down, keep cholesterol down.
So far, so good. Healthy diet and smaller meals & I have dropped 20 pounds in 3 months.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:13 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,069,778 times
For fun and exercise, I ride a bike. Several years ago, I got on a real cycling kick after getting back on bikes for the first time in 20 years. You know the drill... work, family, career.

My weight was at 245. One particular diet got me down to 225 and then I hit the gym to get to the 215 level. I set a goal to ride Ragbrai in 2011 and after that week-long event, I realized that I might have it in me to go further than the average Rabrai day or 65 miles.

My research found events called "brevets". These originated in France and essentially, you ride a prescribed course in a certain amount of time and provide documentation that you completed the ride within the time limits. That documentation consists of a small card that you get stamped or initialed at points called "controls". Sometimes, you have to collect a receipt from a purchase that has a timestamp.

My first event in late 2011, 200-km~/120 miles was a failure. I DNF'd. Did not finish. My wife and I talked about the event as we drove back to Phoenix and I changed my approach a bit. That was late in the year and the next event didn't occur to the next year.

In 2012, I had completed rides of 200-km (~120 miles in less than 13.5 hours), 300-km (~ 180 miles, LT 20 hours) and 400-km (~242 miles, LT 27 hours). The next distance, 600-km (~ 360 miles, LT 40 hours) provided difficult. My riding buddy and I failed to finish events in AZ and CA but finished one in Utah.

The reason to ride and finish these events is to qualify for a 1200-km (750 mile) event. The time limit for this one is 90 hours or 3.75 days. My buddy and I did one of these events in CO where I rode from Louisville CO to halfway across Kansas and back in 85.5 hours to finish. My buddy DNF'd. In fact, barely 50% of the riders who started this event finished it. Day 1 was a cold, rainy day where we had to cover just over 250 miles.

Fast forward to the next year: I started and finished a 1200-km in Texas in 88 hours. OK... now I'm thinking, I'm 2-for-2, why do I need to ride anymore of these? I'm a little slow so they're really exercises in sleep deprivation. Sure...these are extremely tough mentally speaking but, I'm guess I'm tough enough.

Well, I got roped into a 400 the next year and despite not having ridden more than 35 miles YTD, I finished that windy 400 in 17 hours. About half of the riders DNF'd due to the wind. Since then, no events other than my Saturday group rides.

In April, I got the bug again. Except, I'm carrying more weight than I want. I've been riding 80-100 miles a week pushing myself towards a 20-mph average in every ride. I'm over 60 so that's esp. tough for me. In groups, 20 is easy to maintain because you share the workload. Much tougher if you're alone.

So, I lose weight to be a better rider. My wife will love the results when she gets back from visiting her mother! There's a 1200-km next fall in Florida that I've got my eyes on but, at this moment, it's not a firm commitment. My commitment is to get in great shape, lose weight and have fun. I'm three-for-three so far and it ain't over yet! I can lose more weight, go further and faster on the bike and have fun doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss