Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 11:35 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saguers73 View Post
I'm thinking about leaving coffee but I can't, anyway I'm sweetening with stevia. Thank you for your comments
You're welcome, but I'm not sure at this point that stopping coffee is a good idea. Research seems to suggest that the long term health benefits are substantial. Of course, I'm really not aware of how many of these studies are sponsored by the industries that produce the product. To be legitimate, the research would have to be independent of any financially connected persons who would benefit.

evening sun wrote:
>> I drink coffee when I get up, & tea the rest of the day.

This is a good compromise. With my schedule, I like to do my OMAD in the early morning and then pretty much stay out of the kitchen until the following morning, only maybe grabbing a bottled water during the day. So there's not a lot of time to get the green tea.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 09-18-2019 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 08:07 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
You're welcome, but I'm not sure at this point that stopping coffee is a good idea. Research seems to suggest that the long term health benefits are substantial. Of course, I'm really not aware of how many of these studies are sponsored by the industries that produce the product. To be legitimate, the research would have to be independent of any financially connected persons who would benefit.

evening sun wrote:
>> I drink coffee when I get up, & tea the rest of the day.

This is a good compromise. With my schedule, I like to do my OMAD in the early morning and then pretty much stay out of the kitchen until the following morning, only maybe grabbing a bottled water during the day. So there's not a lot of time to get the green tea.
Well, the Japanese love green tea and are #1 in life expectancy, so it would appear to have some benefit in combination with a good diet. I’m with evening sun and will typically either do coffee only or do some sort of caffeinated tea on top of the coffee. Are you not drinking anything during the rest of the day? Even on OMAD, you should be drinking liquids to stay hydrated. Just keep an electric kettle in the kitchen so you can heat up for some tea throughout the day.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Funny thing is on those coffees, I looked at a couple of them, they don't list the ingredients. I would be suspect and I thought it was required?

As for coffee vs Tea, I like both, depends on the time of day and the setting. There are many kinds of teas with different benefits and coffee, well I do like it at work to keep me going. What I don't like is the caffeine crash.
Anyone familiar with this brand of coffee:

Door County Coffee Sampler Pack

I went back to brewing coffee this morning and really love the way it makes the house smell wonderful. I missed that. Just had one cup with almond milk and stevia, but it was good. Bulletproof would have included some almond butter and coconut oil, which is extra calories I don't really need.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:08 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Anyone familiar with this brand of coffee:

Door County Coffee Sampler Pack

I went back to brewing coffee this morning and really love the way it makes the house smell wonderful. I missed that. Just had one cup with almond milk and stevia, but it was good. Bulletproof would have included some almond butter and coconut oil, which is extra calories I don't really need.
I checked out the coffee and again, no ingredients listed. I know you watch your diet and so do I. I would want to know the ingredients, who knows what is in it?

That said, you can flavor the coffee yourself.

I use real cream flavored with vanilla extract plus the organic stevia I swear by.

My wife adds cinnamon and unsweetened cocoa powder to hers plus the stevia plus some kind of creamer, coconut milk or almond milk.

Since you are vegan, you could use the almond milk and stevia that you mentioned and add virtually anything you like to the actual cup of brewed coffee.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:27 AM

@gguerra:

I'm not that much of a purist. Sorry you don't aporove, but I like the flavored coffees.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
@gguerra:

I'm not that much of a purist. Sorry you don't aporove, but I like the flavored coffees.
Approve? It's not up to me to approve or disapprove.

What if the coffee contains animal products of some sort? I thought you were vegan? You do talk a lot about veganism, animal suffering, OMAD and autophagy but now you aren't a purist?

What’s in Flavored Coffee Is Actually Disgusting
https://www.cookinglight.com/eating-...lavored-coffee

The Dark Side of Flavored Coffee
https://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/...e-is-made.html

Old 09-19-2019, 10:13 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I have drunk morning coffee for decades. It is nice that doing so seems to correlate with health benefits. But the fact is, I enjoy and depend on it. In the afternoon I make decaf, because too much caffeine affects my blood pressure.

I often drink green tea in restaurants, especially in the colder months.

I also drink certain sorts of black tea blends.

So, for me, this is not an either/or situation. I say, drink the thing you enjoy the most at the time you are drinking it. And buy the best grade you can afford.

I drink my coffee with half and half and my tea with honey, or half & half and honey depending on the sort of tea.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
In the afternoon I make decaf, because too much caffeine affects my blood pressure.
I would rather not drink decaf, that kind of defeats the purpose for me and yes it probably raises blood pressure. It should be temporary though?

Drinking decaf to me is like drinking non-alcoholic beer. I don't like the flavor that much.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:06 PM

28 posts, read 15,789 times
The green tea makes our body cold (as old china medicine says) So Green tea is good but for example in the spring/summertime. In the colder parts of the year I would suggest to drink just fruit tea, peppermint, chamomile and other herbs. While drinking herbs there are much more positive effects.
Also- hot water is really healthy for the body and it clean the digestive system. Try it!

Old 09-20-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Approve? It's not up to me to approve or disapprove.

What if the coffee contains animal products of some sort? I thought you were vegan? You do talk a lot about veganism, animal suffering, OMAD and autophagy but now you aren't a purist?

What’s in Flavored Coffee Is Actually Disgusting
https://www.cookinglight.com/eating-...lavored-coffee

The Dark Side of Flavored Coffee
https://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/...e-is-made.html
Well, thanks for posting those links. That is a good reason not to drink the stuff. I had no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss