Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 10:24 AM

7,311 posts, read 5,193,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You don't "wash away" these substances that easily, especially in just a few weeks, that is "hogwash". The main problem would be the grain that they feed livestock, mainly the glyphosate that is in the feed, that trickles down to the consumer. There is no "wash out" period for that, it would be nice if their was. Many people deny that the pesticides cause harm, I for one do not fall for it. I could go an on about this, but that's for another thread. You could avoid this issue by buying 100% grass fed and finished and it can get expensive. Eating poultry or pork or farmed fish would be no better.

As far as the carnivore diet, I think long term it would cause issues. Meat does not provide some essential nutrients such Vitamin A, C, D or K etc and minerals such as Potassium and Magnesium. Cruciferous vegetables do provide a cleansing and detoxifying effect which you wouldn't get. Bottom line, I wouldn't do it, I would develop digestive issues as well.

Quite inaccurate.

"Growth hormone" used in cattle is actually estrogen. A 6oz serving of beef produced this way has only 1/16th the estrogen content of a serving of mashed potatoes. Antibiotics & beta-agonists take 1-3 wks to become undetectable in the meat. They're usually stopped 4+wks before going to slaughter.

Please document that anyone has ever gotten sick from eating food grown with glyphosate. You should look into the court transcripts of the recent infamous cases that awarded damages to plaintiffs: the defense was not allowed to present their own experts (!!) The only "expert" testimony was published by a political./enviro- activist organization that did no research of its own, but only passed along discredited studies....BTW- there's plenty of that TreeHugger hogwash out there that insists even grass finished beef has glyphosate in it.

Tell us- when were people healthier, with less malnutrition, and living longer-- before industrial ag techniques became wide-spread or since? I really dislike uninformed people spreading bad information about our food supply, making other naïve & susceptible people inappropriately and unnecessarily anxious. Life is tough enough.

BTW- Nobody need Vit K in their diet. Our intestinal flora make plenty for us., and Vit D isn't really a vitamin-- we make it ourselves if you just get outside once in awhile. Vit C is pretty easy to get. One potato gives you half your daily requirement., and Vit A, being fat soluble, you can store it and only need occasional replenishment from common veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 11:28 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,500,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Quite inaccurate.

"Growth hormone" used in cattle is actually estrogen. A 6oz serving of beef produced this way has only 1/16th the estrogen content of a serving of mashed potatoes. Antibiotics & beta-agonists take 1-3 wks to become undetectable in the meat. They're usually stopped 4+wks before going to slaughter.
From a cancer standpoint, it is easy to see the effects of Estrogen and guess what? if they can measure levels of Estrogen in Beef it isn't washed away, I repeat, that's hogwash. I also dislike people that spread misinformation based on what? Their opinion? Estrogen levels in US Beef have been tested up to 140 times the levels of Japanese beef, the Japanese do not use Estrogen on their beef cattle.
Estrogen concentrations in beef and human hormone-dependent cancers

Quote:
dietary estrogen intake from meat might promote estrogen accumulation in the human body and could be related to the incidence of hormone-dependent cancers.
https://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200....15_suppl.1553

It's also very possible that males, especially young males develop Gynecomastia (breasts) from eating too much beef. I wonder why males are developing breasts?

You have to ask yourself, why are hormones such as Estrogen even given to animals?

Quote:
Please document that anyone has ever gotten sick from eating food grown with glyphosate. You should look into the court transcripts of the recent infamous cases that awarded damages to plaintiffs: the defense was not allowed to present their own experts (!!) The only "expert" testimony was published by a political./enviro- activist organization that did no research of its own, but only passed along discredited studies....BTW- there's plenty of that TreeHugger hogwash out there that insists even grass finished beef has glyphosate in it.
Really? Is that how you can tell if something is harmful, whether someone has gotten sick or not? Ludicrous.
I am not going to wait till I get sick and that's just being cautious. We all have to die of something but why ask for it. Are you going to wait to get sick or see someone getting sick to act? I'm not.

I take things as logical. If GMO corn and soy (common examples) were genetically modified to not die from the spraying of herbicide, but everything else around them does die, does that sound like something you want to be ingesting? Yes, I know they tell you that concentrations are low and "they" tell you it's not harmful. I don't want to consume ANY of those substances if I can help it. I don't count on testimony from anybody especially from the government or certainly not from the companies like Monsanto/Bayer. DO you trust the FDA/USDA?, if you do go ahead and eat all of the roundup you want, I will not. I'm certainly no treehugger. Does Monsanto have credibility and a good track record on issues like this. Glyphosate is banned in many countries. Who do you believe? Why do they spray glyposate on crops? Remind me please.

Quote:
Tell us- when were people healthier, with less malnutrition, and living longer-- before industrial ag techniques became wide-spread or since? I really dislike uninformed people spreading bad information about our food supply, making other naïve & susceptible people inappropriately and unnecessarily anxious. Life is tough enough.
I am not anxious in the least and nobody else should be either. It's easy to stick your head in the sand and believe everything the "authorities" tell you. I just choose to watch my diet as best as I can, not perfect but I try. It's not misinformation because you say so. Ag techniques?, that's a laugh. Ag techniques are ALL about increasing the bottom line and have nothing to do with health. Who's being naive here?

Quote:
BTW- Nobody need Vit K in their diet. Our intestinal flora make plenty for us., and Vit D isn't really a vitamin-- we make it ourselves if you just get outside once in awhile. Vit C is pretty easy to get. One potato gives you half your daily requirement., and Vit A, being fat soluble, you can store it and only need occasional replenishment from common veggies.
It is BTW, the thread is about the carnivore diet. Meat does NOT give you all of the vitamins and minerals you need, the rest of the things you mention are besides the point. You can't get ANY of those vitamins, if all you eat is meat. I thought that was pretty obvious. You are defending it, would you go on carnivore diet?

Old 09-24-2019, 03:29 PM

339 posts, read 171,824 times
Science aside, it's ethically and aesthetically repulsive.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:27 AM

6,758 posts, read 8,603,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalHumanities2020 View Post
Science aside, it's ethically and aesthetically repulsive.
Why?

If someone wants to go vegetarian, ok, who cares?
If someone wants to go carnivore, isn't it their own business and why should they be told it's "gross"?

Humans are omnivores, just like a bear or a pig. We can and do eat just about anything. Our tooth enamel isn't thick enough and our jaw muscles aren't heavy enough to process vegetation like a cow or gorilla to be a true vegetarian. Our guts aren't long or big enough to process large masses of plant material.

We don't have the sharp canine teeth of a true predator, or the speed and claws to take down prey animals.

We evolved a brain instead, and our ancestors lived as scavengers to exploit any available food source. Patriots of that was scavenging the remains of kills from other predators. Probably utilizing the parts they couldn't access such as brains and marrow. Both of which are high fat and calorie dense making a very good energy food in a small amount of material.

I went carnivore not because of a fad diet, but because I looked at my genetic history. My ancestors came from a very cold climate where meat was the only available food source for most of the year. High fat content was necessary not only because of the high protein, but for the energy to stay warm in Arctic conditions.

Plants were used, but in limited quantity due to the short growing season. So I'm simply looking to follow how my ancestors ate for millennia. And it seems to be working.

Nothing immoral about it, just living as my people have always lived. I don't process plant material well, but a carnivore diet seems to fit me very well.

That's the long and the short of it.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:57 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,917,567 times
>> That's the long and the short of it.

Not at all. It's more like the boring and conventional of it. He finds it gross and so do I. It's about the suffering of the animals and environmental issues.

HOWEVER, let's not get this perfectly good thread closed by dragging out these interminable, over-used arguments that convince no one and only sow dissension.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:40 AM

6,758 posts, read 8,603,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
>> That's the long and the short of it.

Not at all. It's more like the boring and conventional of it. He finds it gross and so do I. It's about the suffering of the animals and environmental issues.

HOWEVER, let's not get this perfectly good thread closed by dragging out these interminable, over-used arguments that convince no one and only sow dissension.
Oh, just sniping then. I don't usually post to this board so I was unaware of the custom.
I was just giving out information specific to my diet and reasoning.

Thanks for letting me know others here aren't interested in sharing information.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:34 AM

9,895 posts, read 7,785,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

I went carnivore not because of a fad diet, but because I looked at my genetic history. My ancestors came from a very cold climate where meat was the only available food source for most of the year. High fat content was necessary not only because of the high protein, but for the energy to stay warm in Arctic conditions.

Plants were used, but in limited quantity due to the short growing season. So I'm simply looking to follow how my ancestors ate for millennia. And it seems to be working.
That's awesome. I've read about this. About how eating outside of your genetic history can cause issues.

Thanks for posting.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:51 AM

50,479 posts, read 47,238,069 times
I've always functioned best on a natural food diet. Meat, veggies and fruit. I also harvest my own animals during hunting season so I know what my food has been eating too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss