Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 07:16 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,544,652 times

Advertisements

Been hearing a lot about this diet. I got into it because last year I tried a high carb diet and my anxiety and depression noticeably increased. Recently I have been inadvertently eating a lot of carbs and I have had symptoms such as

- joint pains
- anxiety
- skin issues

The Carnivore diet is -- get this - just meat (eggs possible cheese). It is hard to really adopt such a thing but...

It is supposed to cause
- weight loss
- end of joint pain
- end of anxiety and depression an a
- clean up in skin.

This is a good overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isIw2AN_-XU

My suspicion is that the meat has an abundance of b vitamins and amino acids that help will mental health and the vast majority of toxic additives that are in processed foods and preservatives in veggies are reduced. I had a similar effect when I did a liquid diet that basically cut out tons of food. I also lost weight very quickly. More quickly than eating the same calories with regular food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 08:59 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Sounds absolutely dreadful.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:20 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
I'm on a low carb diet, but I eat a lot of salads and veggies. Very big salads.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:42 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
I eat very low-carb, but also dairy which is not really carnivore approved.

You just have to try stuff and see how it works........it may work great or it may suck, YMMV!

Old 09-22-2019, 04:46 PM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Thar sounds similar to the Atkins diet, which is proteins & veg. Try it for a while & see how you feel. And try & make a lifestyle change, because frequent dieting is no good for you ( or anyone) I always feel better when I reduce carb consumption, but I love them so I still eat them, but I try to keep it to a low intake.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:26 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,576,453 times
I've been basically on a very low carb diet since February.
I've lost 40 lbs, my daily headaches have stopped, I have arthritis in my knees to where I couldn't climb a flight of stairs, and while not pleasant, I can use the stairs again.

My blood pressure is back down to 110 over 80, my resting pulse is 70 My energy level is much improved, and I feel better than I have in years. This is without an established exercise routine, just my normal daily activities.

I still eat some carbs, squash, cabbage, onions, bread is less than 1 serving per week, I do eat some cheese and drink a daily glass of whole milk.

Overall, my health and attitude have undergone a complete metamorphosis and it's due in large part to severely limiting carb intake and going carnivore.
I don't recommend it for everyone as everyone has their own nutritional needs. All I can say is it's worked wonders for me.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:40 AM

28 posts, read 15,757 times
This diet makes sense, but I would consider buying meat and dairy from grocery or from a real country farm.. this makes a huge difference.
Meat from big concerns contains a tone of antibiotics, steroids, and medicines which has destroying impact on our health in a long period of time. Just make sure that you eat clean food

Old 09-24-2019, 06:02 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodC View Post
This diet makes sense, but I would consider buying meat and dairy from grocery or from a real country farm.. this makes a huge difference.
Meat from big concerns contains a tone of antibiotics, steroids, and medicines which has destroying impact on our health in a long period of time. Just make sure that you eat clean food

False fantasies. When estrogen, antibiotics &/or beta-agonists are used on animals in meat production, they are stopped several weeks prior to harvest ("wash-out period'). There is none in the meat we eat.

There are many gimmick diets out there, each slightly different in order to sell books. They are all based on one general truth about physiology: insulin acts to turn carbs into fat and slows down the rate at which we burn fats.---- therefore, if you lower your carb intake, you lower your insulin levels and thus increase your ability to burn up fat stores.

There can be two goals with the low carb diet-- first, to lose weight, and then to maintain a lean body habitus. To lose weight, you gotta cut carbs way, way down so you become "ketotic."..for maintenance, you can increase carbs until you start gaining fat again, then just back off a little.

Don't make it harder than it really is.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:08 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodC View Post
You don't "wash away" these substances that easily, especially in just a few weeks, that is "hogwash". The main problem would be the grain that they feed livestock, mainly the glyphosate that is in the feed, that trickles down to the consumer. There is no "wash out" period for that, it would be nice if their was. Many people deny that the pesticides cause harm, I for one do not fall for it. I could go an on about this, but that's for another thread. You could avoid this issue by buying 100% grass fed and finished and it can get expensive. Eating poultry or pork or farmed fish would be no better.

As far as the carnivore diet, I think long term it would cause issues. Meat does not provide some essential nutrients such Vitamin A, C, D or K etc and minerals such as Potassium and Magnesium. Cruciferous vegetables do provide a cleansing and detoxifying effect which you wouldn't get. Bottom line, I wouldn't do it, I would develop digestive issues as well.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:11 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You don't "wash away" these substances that easily, especially in just a few weeks, that is "hogwash". The main problem would be the grain that they feed livestock, mainly the glyphosate that is in the feed, that trickles down to the consumer. There is no "wash out" period for that, it would be nice if their was. Many people deny that the pesticides cause harm, I for one do not fall for it. I could go an on about this, but that's for another thread. You could avoid this issue by buying 100% grass fed and finished and it can get expensive. Eating poultry or pork or farmed fish would be no better.

As far as the carnivore diet, I think long term it would cause issues. Meat does not provide some essential nutrients such Vitamin A, C, D or K etc and minerals such as Potassium and Magnesium. Cruciferous vegetables do provide a cleansing and detoxifying effect which you wouldn't get. Bottom line, I wouldn't do it, I would develop digestive issues as well.
Little to no fiber...that's a concern on a number of levels. Might work for carnivorous animals who have a very short digestive tract but not really for humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss