Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 12:03 PM

91 posts, read 59,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
It didn't take 2 1/2 years, though. More like 2 1/2 weeks!
Yikes, I'll bet that got your attention! But you were probably having some other symptoms too, weren't you? That's why I'm not really concerned about cancer. By now I'd be having loss of appetite or fatigue or some other indicator of a serious illness. But I will definitely get my cancer screenings done just to be on the safe side. And maybe get a 2nd opinion too. Thanks for the advice, Arya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Before worrying too much do you have any idea of your activity level? I used a FitBit for a while and now have an Apple Watch which helps me be more active. You don’t have to make a major investment but some device that helps remind you to move and track activity level is a good start.

If you haven’t had your bone density measured that’s something you should add to your list too.
Yes, I used to have a Fit bit but then something went wrong with it.. I've been planning to get another one, thanks for the reminder!

Old 10-02-2019, 03:46 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Hill View Post
Yikes, I'll bet that got your attention! But you were probably having some other symptoms too, weren't you? That's why I'm not really concerned about cancer. By now I'd be having loss of appetite or fatigue or some other indicator of a serious illness. But I will definitely get my cancer screenings done just to be on the safe side. And maybe get a 2nd opinion too. Thanks for the advice, Arya!
Actually, I was doing landscaping and I thought I had a hernia.
We found it while looking for something else.

Many types of cancer have no symptoms until it's too late. Pancreatic cancer is notorious for this.
That's why people get colonscopies. If you wait until there's a symptom, well, it's been nice knowin' ya.
I'm getting one on Dec. 27. For insurance purposes it's the last day of the year. I got a PSA last week.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:26 PM

I guess in a way it turned out to be a good thing they were looking for something else since they caught the cancer. And good for you for keeping up with your cancer screenings as well. Once you've had cancer they probably stay on top of you to get your cancer screenings don't they?

I hope you have someone to take you home from the colonoscopy. If you don't you have to hire a medical transport co otherwise you're SOL. In my area it costs around $150. My Dr. said she was going to order the Cologuard test for me but I don't know if she ever did. She also said she'd put in an order for a mammogram & the mammography place would call me to set up an appt. That was 3 weeks ago. I called last week to check the status & they said give it another week. I called today & they said no, the mammography place doesn't call me, I have to call them. Now we're entering one of our busiest times at work so who knows when I'll have time to do it.

I was thinking of going to another Dr. for a 2nd opinion as has been mentioned. But what could he/she do? They can't scan my entire body looking for cancer. And knowing how some of my interactions w/doctors have gone in the past, he/she would probably just suggest I get some mental health counseling.

Sorry for the long rant. It's been a long day & sometimes it seems like dealing w/the medical industry is more trouble than it's worth.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:21 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Yes, I lost 10 lbs. without trying too, and I was overeating as well. I'm 5'2" and was 113 lbs. now 103 lbs. I really don't know why either. I wasn't lifting weights of exercising at all.

My SIL who's a nurse thinks I'm losing muscle mass. Don't know if it's true as I've never asked a doctor about it. I was around 38 or 39 when it happened. I'm 41 now and have stayed at 103 lbs. since.
If you lost ten pounds of muscle you'd notice it beyond what the scale tells you. A subtle diet change can reduce retained fluids, and as removing certain foods might lower your sodium intake which could have a similar impact.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I guess in a way it turned out to be a good thing they were looking for something else since they caught the cancer. And good for you for keeping up with your cancer screenings as well. Once you've had cancer they probably stay on top of you to get your cancer screenings don't they?
I see my oncologist once a year (used to be every 6 months) and he orders a battery of tests.
I know what to watch for now, since I've already had it once.

Quote:
I hope you have someone to take you home from the colonoscopy. If you don't you have to hire a medical transport co otherwise you're SOL.
I have a ride, they won't let you have a colonoscopy if you don't have one.
I've done it before... the prep is way worse (you get to poop out 5 lbs real fast) than the actual procedure, which is no big deal.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:49 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
That type of weight-loss without any significant changes to diet or activity..............time to find a new doctor and dig a little deeper.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I see my oncologist once a year (used to be every 6 months) and he orders a battery of tests.
I know what to watch for now, since I've already had it once.

I have a ride, they won't let you have a colonoscopy if you don't have one.
I've done it before... the prep is way worse (you get to poop out 5 lbs real fast) than the actual procedure, which is no big deal.
I'm glad to hear you've got a good oncologist & are getting all the necessary tests. My dad also beat cancer & I remember he used to have PET scans every so often. He had a good, long, active life thanks to lifesaving cancer treatments. And that was years ago, I'm sure treatments have improved since then.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
That type of weight-loss without any significant changes to diet or activity..............time to find a new doctor and dig a little deeper.
This coming Monday I'm getting a mammogram, & I'll do the Cologuard test if it ever arrives in the mail. But beyond that I don't know what any dr. could do. You know, if I were having abdominal pain they could check for pancreatic or ovarian cancer. Or if I were having seizures they'd check for a brain tumor. But thankfully I don't have any symptoms. I guess I should just enjoy being able to eat whatever I want & not gain weight. That's a dream come true for most people!

Old 10-05-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
My dad also beat cancer & I remember he used to have PET scans every so often.
PET scans SUCK.
You have to lay totally still for 20 minutes with your arms up.
I have shoulder issues from playing baseball and softball for 25 years. The only way I'd get one now is drugged up.

You also get a intravenous radioactive tracer beforehand.
My oncologist says I've had enough radiation and won't give more unless he absolutely has to.

If you had cancer, you'd be losing weight much faster.
But you're losing for some reason, so I don't know if ignoring it is a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss