Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 09:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
5 g sodium = 5000 mg. That is twice the RDA.
There's really no such thing as too much sodium because the body does know how to regulate and store sodium. Sugar it doesn't know because it is consider toxin to the body so it gets converted to waste into belly fat. People and even mainstream doctors are exaggerating a high salt diet causes health issues. There's no study that shows a high sodium diet leads to heart attack. You need to eat a healthy dose of sodium and I say a min of 3g is needed if your on intermittent fasting.

A lot of people on keto eat a lot of bacon and meat that are loaded with salt but they are not getting enough potassium which is much richer in green leaf veg.

I started keto a few weeks ago and my energy was awful, I couldn't run or exercise. I started added more salt and potassium to my regime and now I'm full of energy and I eat just enough fats and enough protein. I eat a ton of salads with nothing but salt and vinegar. A healthy 6 lb loss in 2 weeks on this regime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 12:52 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,913,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There's really no such thing as too much sodium because the body does know how to regulate and store sodium. Sugar it doesn't know because it is consider toxin to the body so it gets converted to waste into belly fat. People and even mainstream doctors are exaggerating a high salt diet causes health issues. There's no study that shows a high sodium diet leads to heart attack. You need to eat a healthy dose of sodium and I say a min of 3g is needed if your on intermittent fasting.

A lot of people on keto eat a lot of bacon and meat that are loaded with salt but they are not getting enough potassium which is much richer in green leaf veg.

I started keto a few weeks ago and my energy was awful, I couldn't run or exercise. I started added more salt and potassium to my regime and now I'm full of energy and I eat just enough fats and enough protein. I eat a ton of salads with nothing but salt and vinegar. A healthy 6 lb loss in 2 weeks on this regime.
A few weeks ago? I've been plant based since I was a teenager and I'll be 70 this summer. It's not vanity to say that nobody believes me when I tell them I was born in 1950. Not eating animal carcasses makes a huge difference in your health and longevity.

Some people even say that when you eat that crap you're also taking in the fear, terror, despair and betrayal the animal felt. I believe that may be true. Pigs are more intelligent than dogs. Cows are gentle herd animals that form bonds with other cows. Chickens are intelligent and communicative. Fish feel pain.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:13 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
A few weeks ago? I've been plant based since I was a teenager and I'll be 70 this summer. It's not vanity to say that nobody believes me when I tell them I was born in 1950. Not eating animal carcasses makes a huge difference in your health and longevity.

Some people even say that when you eat that crap you're also taking in the fear, terror, despair and betrayal the animal felt. I believe that may be true. Pigs are more intelligent than dogs. Cows are gentle herd animals that form bonds with other cows. Chickens are intelligent and communicative. Fish feel pain.
Eating less meat can be beneficial but it's not for everyone. A plants only diet is for people who live a very sedentary lifestyle. Because you cannot get good amino acids necessary for muscle and bone regeneration through plants only. Vegans who fell have a longer recovery if they choose to eat only vegan diet for recovery. For people who are athletes, blue collar workers, and those who have an active life style you have to eat living things for their amino acids. I understand people who have an emotional reason not to consume animals but there are living things that are not so intelligent that you can eat such as clams, sea urchin, geoduck. Snails can be farmed and it is perfectly sustainable. And not to mention insects which are the largest inhabitants on earth. So you don't have to eat animals that have some intelligence.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:19 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,829,980 times
Quote:
Eating less meat can be beneficial but it's not for everyone. A plants only diet is for people who live a very sedentary lifestyle. Because you cannot get good amino acids necessary for muscle and bone regeneration through plants only. Vegans who fell have a longer recovery if they choose to eat only vegan diet for recovery. For people who are athletes, blue collar workers, and those who have an active life style you have to eat living things for their amino acids. I understand people who have an emotional reason not to consume animals but there are living things that are not so intelligent that you can eat such as clams, sea urchin, geoduck. Snails can be farmed and it is perfectly sustainable. And not to mention insects which are the largest inhabitants on earth. So you don't have to eat animals that have some intelligence.
This is patently false.
You can get everything you need from plants except B12. A B12 supplement does the trick.
I know many people who are vegan and are quite healthy. One is even a body builder and a trainer. Another runs long distances. One of my daughters is vegan and has been for years and she is very active, works out and has a demanding job.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:04 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times
Vegetarian maybe, it's very tough to get COMPLETE nutrition from a vegan diet and vegans generally are weak and frail. They get sick easier and have weakened immune systems. You also cannot get a very usable form of Omega-3 from plants. Sure you can get ALA but it has to be converted and it does so at a very low rate. There are overweight vegans because they consume too many grains and starches. That is not healthy either. This is important... the majority of vegans do it for ethical reasons, NOT health. They apparently will sacrifice their own health for the sake of cruelty to animals. I commend them but they will accomplish nothing, unfortunately.

IMO, a clean source of meat and vegetables is the best diet with the least complications. A paleo diet would fit this description. I happen to like dairy, probably to my detriment but I still like it. The main issue with dairy from cows is the hormones they give the animals and the type of casein that it contains. Good quality eggs are just fine and very healthy. I would even go a step further and many would not like this but organ meat is very healthy and beneficial from a nutrient standpoint.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Vegetarian maybe, it's very tough to get COMPLETE nutrition from a vegan diet and vegans generally are weak and frail. They get sick easier and have weakened immune systems. You also cannot get a very usable form of Omega-3 from plants. Sure you can get ALA but it has to be converted and it does so at a very low rate. There are overweight vegans because they consume too many grains and starches. That is not healthy either. This is important... the majority of vegans do it for ethical reasons, NOT health. They apparently will sacrifice their own health for the sake of cruelty to animals. I commend them but they will accomplish nothing, unfortunately.

IMO, a clean source of meat and vegetables is the best diet with the least complications. A paleo diet would fit this description. I happen to like dairy, probably to my detriment but I still like it. The main issue with dairy from cows is the hormones they give the animals and the type of casein that it contains. Good quality eggs are just fine and very healthy. I would even go a step further and many would not like this but organ meat is very healthy and beneficial from a nutrient standpoint.
Vegan is healthier than paleo or keto. And as long as you take a B12 supplement you are fine.

And the BEST diet is the one that fits in one's lifestyle. There is no one size fits all.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:30 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Vegan is healthier than paleo or keto. And as long as you take a B12 supplement you are fine.

And the BEST diet is the one that fits in one's lifestyle. There is no one size fits all.
NOBODY ever said any diet was for everybody, I write in general terms. Healthy is a subjective term. Donuts is vegan, doesn't make it healthy. I know you think that whole grains are healthy, they are not. Comparing whole grains to refined grains is like comparing light cigarettes to regular. They are still not healthy at least not in their present form. You over process something it ceases to be healthy.

Maybe donuts aren't vegan they contain eggs? but you get the point.

As for veganism, MOST do it for ethics, not health. That is a FACT.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
NOBODY ever said any diet was for everybody, I write in general terms. Healthy is a subjective term. Donuts is vegan, doesn't make it healthy. I know you think that whole grains are healthy, they are not. Comparing whole grains to refined grains is like comparing light cigarettes to regular. They are still not healthy at least not in their present form. You over process something it ceases to be healthy.

Maybe donuts aren't vegan they contain eggs? but you get the point.

As for veganism, MOST do it for ethics, not health. That is a FACT.
You have zero proof that whole grains are unhealthy. Now when I say whole grains I am talking about minimally processed grains - not baked goods.

And yes, you can be a junk food vegan, but that is NOT what we are talking about either. In fact we are not talking about processed foods at all. You are moving the goalposts to make your point.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:12 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,537,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Or mineral water, which is fizzy without the calories: Pellegrino or Perrier are good brands.
I bought a case of Perrier yesterday and opened a can. It's nasty!! I couldn't even swallow that stuff. Regular water for me please!!

Old 10-31-2019, 10:31 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,913,413 times
Quote:
No, not so. There is no evidence for what you're posting and quite a lot which contradicts it. I wish you would stop posting unsupported and prejudicial views for which there is no evidence; somebody may read it and think it's accurate when it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss