Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 07:05 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times

Advertisements

Zero carbs is very difficult (I'm typing this while eating some moon cheese as a snack). Shoot for low-carb, or go Keto and look at 20g or less a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 06:16 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Why not just eat less and exercise a little more ?
Sounds a lot less painful than zero carbs and you won't have halitosis.
The simple fact is most diets are doomed to failure because most people eventually put the weight back on.
Eat a sensible diet.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:48 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
I eat about 120g of complex/fibrous carbs a day. That's low carb, but not Keto or anything like that. What works great is fasting. Started 6 days ago and have been eating 2 meals day -- lunch and dinner within a 5 hour window. Already lost 5lbs. I have not been working out, but will do some HIIT at home at some point to tone up. It's all about calorie control.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:19 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I eat about 120g of complex/fibrous carbs a day. That's low carb, but not Keto or anything like that. What works great is fasting. Started 6 days ago and have been eating 2 meals day -- lunch and dinner within a 5 hour window. Already lost 5lbs. I have not been working out, but will do some HIIT at home at some point to tone up. It's all about calorie control.
Fasting is the simplest way of dieting without changing the food people eat. But the key is, meals must be consumed within a 6 hour window everyday. The problem with most people is they keep thinking that you must eat a big breakfast, a moderate lunch, and then a small dinner. But few people get the meals right. It's much better not to consume breakfast at all and go lunch and dinner both within 3 hours and that's it.

The body is most efficient at fat burning at night and in the morning and during the day you are supposed to use the energy produced the day before. Reason why most people don't lose weight because they keep snacking and eating all day and have a net total of excess calories.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:56 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I usually do less than 10-grams a day.....and as others have pointed-out, mainly meat and eggs.

Prep for that way of eating, LOL, find some greasy meat, buy some eggs, then cook when ready to eat, very simple.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:28 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You’re simplifying. Simple sugars are easily burned up spurring the need to eat more. Complex carbs tend to have fiber which is slower to digest. Additionally pasta and other grains have fiber and are slower to digest than say a candy bar. A person will be more full eating complex carbs than eating pretzels.

What you are correct about is that complex or simple carbs convert to the body’s preferred fuel of glucose. And? If you eat sensibly and in moderation that shouldn’t be s problem. And I eat a cup of pasta, which does not fill a bowl and I lost body fat.
To add to this great post, in my experience the quality of carbohydrates is key. Most crap you buy in stores is tainted "carbs", not carbohydrates. I do try to avoid processed sugar as if it were aggressive poison.

Personally, I buy - in addition to whole grain rice from a supermarket - whole grain flour directly from mills via Amazon and make my own bread, leaven and flat depending on the grain. Ingredients are flour, water, a bit of salt, and yeast which I cultivate at home. Period.

And I live in an urban environment, so no excuses. Moreover, I've become pretty efficient at it, so time management is no excuse either. I usually bake every other day, two cups of grain at a time.

I sometimes add other ingredients like seeds (caraway, fennel, sesame, poppy), a bit of locally produced unfiltered honey, egg, olive or avocado oil, and bake in some vegetables, once in a while cheese for other family members (I try to avoid cheese, personally).

In any case, I try to eat as little as possible of the highest quality ingredients possible.

Seems to work: I ain't dead yet and I am at my ideal weight, maybe a tad underweight, and do moderate exercise, mostly stretching and a bit of free weights. No complaints, thank you.

All the best!

Old 11-07-2019, 12:11 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
To add to this great post, in my experience the quality of carbohydrates is key. Most crap you buy in stores is tainted "carbs", not carbohydrates. I do try to avoid processed sugar as if it were aggressive poison.

Personally, I buy - in addition to whole grain rice from a supermarket - whole grain flour directly from mills via Amazon and make my own bread, leaven and flat depending on the grain. Ingredients are flour, water, a bit of salt, and yeast which I cultivate at home. Period.

And I live in an urban environment, so no excuses. Moreover, I've become pretty efficient at it, so time management is no excuse either. I usually bake every other day, two cups of grain at a time.

I sometimes add other ingredients like seeds (caraway, fennel, sesame, poppy), a bit of locally produced unfiltered honey, egg, olive or avocado oil, and bake in some vegetables, once in a while cheese for other family members (I try to avoid cheese, personally).

In any case, I try to eat as little as possible of the highest quality ingredients possible.

Seems to work: I ain't dead yet and I am at my ideal weight, maybe a tad underweight, and do moderate exercise, mostly stretching and a bit of free weights. No complaints, thank you.

All the best!
Thank you, all the best to you too!

I try to source much of my carbs from whole foods now. It does make a difference. I can't knock processed foods, I just keep them to a minimum, as they just add filler calories and sugar/sodium.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:33 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times
I've been doing a low carb, high fat diet since June 2019. I'm now wearing shirts that I couldn't even button around the middle last year, and today, I put on a pair of pants that I couldn't even stretch close enough to button in June. They fit!

I'm more excited about my clothes fitting than the pounds I've lost.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:59 AM

1,161 posts, read 435,047 times
I am NO expert, but be careful.

I began a sugar detox at the end of September and I essentially morphed it into a Keto diet.
Yesterday, at work, my vision got incredibly blurry. This isn't the first time I've had an episode like that, but I realized it was completely due to how dumb I was with this diet. I am pre-diabetic and my Doctor has me on medication for diabetes. So while those are working to control my blood/sugar level, I just completely cut out all sugar.

I've decided going forward to use the keto framework as a guide to my meal plans, but re-introduce natural sugars and complex carbs. I'm going to HAVE to exercise portion control, stay away from processed sugars, and continue with my exercise regimen. I've lost 30 pounds since the end of September and, aside from yesterday's episode, I feel incredible, so I don't want to blow off what I'm doing, but I believe by making these few adjustments AND keeping my calories in check, I'll be healthy and still be able to lose weight.
And yes, in case anyone is going to say this, I do have a check up next week and will be discussing my diet with my Doctor.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:05 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
I am NO expert, but be careful.

I began a sugar detox at the end of September and I essentially morphed it into a Keto diet.
Yesterday, at work, my vision got incredibly blurry. This isn't the first time I've had an episode like that, but I realized it was completely due to how dumb I was with this diet. I am pre-diabetic and my Doctor has me on medication for diabetes. So while those are working to control my blood/sugar level, I just completely cut out all sugar.

I've decided going forward to use the keto framework as a guide to my meal plans, but re-introduce natural sugars and complex carbs. I'm going to HAVE to exercise portion control, stay away from processed sugars, and continue with my exercise regimen. I've lost 30 pounds since the end of September and, aside from yesterday's episode, I feel incredible, so I don't want to blow off what I'm doing, but I believe by making these few adjustments AND keeping my calories in check, I'll be healthy and still be able to lose weight.
And yes, in case anyone is going to say this, I do have a check up next week and will be discussing my diet with my Doctor.
Weight reduction is one of the biggest ways to help with diabetes. I had gestational diabetes, which was directly tied to my weight.

Good luck to you. There's nothing wrong with mixing ideologies. I think the best "diet" is the one that's doable for you. For example, I have increased my fat intake, which was unheard of years ago. I am by no means low carb, but I am no longer averse to eating fat. I do limit saturated fat and prefer to eat lean meat, but I eat more eggs on occasion and nuts.

Find the combination that works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss