Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 09:52 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,633,813 times

Advertisements

I've been eating a Keto diet for about 4 weeks now. Down 10 pounds. Maybe more now. I weigh myself on Wednesdays and Sundays. I was actually down 14lbs this last Wednesday but that was at least 2 pounds of water weight as I weighed myself again 10 minutes later after drinking several glasses of water and gained two pounds back. I'm mixing in a good amount of intense cardio about 5-6 days a week.

The weight loss is okay. Nothing ground breaking compared to what I am used to. I've constantly gone through cycles my entire adult life ranging from 195-200 lbs on the high end and then getting active and eating better I'm able to get down to 175-180 lbs. And it's an endless cycle that seems to repeat itself every year.

Blood work a year ago was good. That was when i was about 180. Just got more blood work done a week ago but haven't gone over the results yet. Not sure what kind of changes if any might show up after just three weeks of Keto before the blood work.

At this point I'm sticking with Keto. What I need is just a complete change in diet habits. I need something I can easily stick with so I'm not continually going through this cycle of weight gain and weight loss. So far a big plus to Keto is that I find it incredibly easy to stick to and my appetite is greatly reduced. Rarely eat breakfast now. 2 tabelspoons of heavy whipping cream in my coffee every morning is enough to get me to lunch. Lunches are weigh smaller than in the past. Just some olives and a handful of nuts and usually a small serving of the previous nights dinner. And the the dinners them selves are typically pretty small.

Ultimately what I could see myself transitioning to is a diet that doesn't allow bread except for Keto bread, no potatoes (mainly to just keep me away from fries) no pasta, no rice and no soda. Continue to eat a mostly ketogenic diet but allow other occasional foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 07:41 AM

3,859 posts, read 4,463,293 times
If you are doing keto then it would be incredibly beneficial to pair that up with intermittent fasting. It sounds like you would be a good fit for it since you already don’t eat as much currently.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:34 AM

I'll have to look into intermittent fasting. On the low end I heard you can get by with just 16 hours. That seems close to doable. Get a good nights sleep and you are half way there already. I assume they allow coffee with a couple tablespoons of heavy whipping cream to not count against the fasting?

Stepped on the scale this morning. Down to 182lbs, down 14 pounds in 28 days since starting Keto. Dropping half a pound a day which was my goal when I started the diet and exercise routine. Losing weight has always been "easy" (i do a lot of cardio) for me. My problem has always been maintaining a low weight. I'm hopeful that the diet can be more long-term which in turn will help me maintain a lower weight during periods of less physical activity.

On a side note, I used to hear that it was better to have a large breakfast, smaller lunch and then even smaller dinner. It sort of makes sense. Why have dinner be your largest meal if you are just going to go to bed a couple hours later? Is that not the case anymore?

Old 05-30-2021, 08:43 AM

I might try the 16/8 intermittent fasting method. Fast between 7pm and 11am the next day. With only coffee in the morning. This is practically what I am doing already on a typical M-F work week. I'm usually eating a few nuts and olives around 9-10am. I start my day early at 5 am so by 10 am it feels like lunch time for me.

I don't think I could do the 24 hr fast. Not with all the cardio I am doing.

The 5:2 diet could be doable but just harder to keep track. Easier to just stick with the 16/8 schedule.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:43 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There is no such thing as keto foods. You obviously think it's a fad diet. Your baby was born living on a ketogenic diet, because a baby drinks mother's milk which is a high fat diet. High fat prolongs ketosis but does not get you into keto. Ketosis happens when there are no carb left to burn so the body switches to burning body fat.

How is low carb food taste like cardboard? Bacon and steak taste like cardboard?

Maybe your idea of low carb pastas and breads is the problem.
And baby's milk is high in lactose..... a sugar.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-31-2021, 03:25 PM

5,731 posts, read 4,329,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And baby's milk is high in lactose..... a sugar.

Maybe the third time that will stick.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:28 PM

3,859 posts, read 4,463,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I might try the 16/8 intermittent fasting method. Fast between 7pm and 11am the next day. With only coffee in the morning. This is practically what I am doing already on a typical M-F work week. I'm usually eating a few nuts and olives around 9-10am. I start my day early at 5 am so by 10 am it feels like lunch time for me.

I don't think I could do the 24 hr fast. Not with all the cardio I am doing.

The 5:2 diet could be doable but just harder to keep track. Easier to just stick with the 16/8 schedule.
I would suggest try IF in baby steps. People make the mistake of trying to go all out right from the jump. Some can do it, but for others, it's too much for the body to adjust to all at once. So I would suggest easing into it.
If you are a breakfast person, then have breakfast and lunch, skip dinner.
If you dont care for breakfast, then have lunch and dinner. That will get you to 16 hours (including sleep at night). The key is to incorporate enough healthy fats (avocado is a great one) as they help you feel full for longer compared to breads/rice/pasta.

I will be honest it sounded daunting to me going 16 hours without food while still going about my normal day of job, gym, errands etc. But once you get used to it, it becomes VERY easy. I'm now a one meal a day guy, plus I do one 48 hour fast a week as well. It's to the point that I could never go back to eating 3 meals a day, or even worse the old standard I heard all the time about 6 small meals throughout the day. Ugh.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I would suggest try IF in baby steps..
I’ve jumped right into the 16/8 fast the last two days. It’s been a breeze so far. I just skip breakfast and eat around 11 and dinner around 7. My coffee in the morning though has 100 calories with tablespoon of heavy whipping cream. Do you do coffee in the morning?

Old 06-01-2021, 07:32 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I’ve jumped right into the 16/8 fast the last two days. It’s been a breeze so far. I just skip breakfast and eat around 11 and dinner around 7. My coffee in the morning though has 100 calories with tablespoon of heavy whipping cream. Do you do coffee in the morning?
I'm pretty sure that cream means you are not fasting.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-01-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm pretty sure that cream means you are not fasting.
That’s what I’m wondering. I’ve read different things some suggest that coffee is OK but how much creamer? At this point I’m not giving up my coffee with creamer so it is what it is. At any rate the calories I’m consuming over 24 hours is significantly less than before I started the keto diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss