Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 09:44 AM

102,364 posts, read 108,650,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamReady2Move View Post
When my carbs go up, it's usually grains/bread. Instead of a bunless burger, I have a bun.
What kind of grains or bread, though? It should be whole grains: brown rice instead of white, whole wheat bread (you need to read the label to check ingredients, to make sure it's "real" ww bread) or rice bread, beans (but I guess you prefer grains). Don't overdo it on the grains. Read the package to see how many carbs are in 1 slice of the bread. Different brands vary tremendously.

Studies have been done on low-carb dieters, to see if the diet raises cholesterol, and it doesn't, so there's some other factor at play here. White bread/refined grains can cause an blood sugar spike, which in turn causes a higher insulin response; I wonder if that could be it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul;
Remember also, there is going to be an adaptation-period on the changeover to low-carb, you might feel kinda off for a while.
There's also this, but it usually only lasts a couple of weeks. IDK, OP; I can't help you with those mental/emotional symptoms you're reporting. I haven't encountered that.

But when you do decide to go off the low-carb diet, you do need to increase your carbs very gradually, so as not to gain the weight back. And you can never go back to an overly-carry diet, like most of America eats, which, health-wise isn't a bad thing, but some people may miss that type of diet.

P.S. Are you working out regularly? That's key to weight loss on low-carb. It's about building lean muscle mass, which helps you burn fat. It raises your metabolism, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 11:23 AM

13,454 posts, read 15,583,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
What works for you. I personally feel range of 100g to 200g is reasonable. Though if you have T2, then go as low as you need to go to get it under control. The real problem isnt limiting yourself to this range, the problem is most people eat multiples of this. The official pyramid/plate/whatever guideline is more political than realistic. Thus the crazy conflicting diet recommendations when I was officially diagnosed as T2. I mean a high carb diet for diabetes???? Really??? Go back to the days before injectable insulin and other diabetic drugs. You got recommended a low carb diet.

Now watch out, artificial sweetener saccharine was new and being recommended for diabetics at the time. Think thats poor choice, though at time I get why it was recommended, supposed to satisfy sweet tooth without raising blood sugar. After insulin was available, low carb was just too much work for doctors, their new motto was inject em and let em eat cake.
Yeah, I try to make sure that most of my carbs are with meals vs. snacks and have a good fiber content (i.e. a small baked potato, beans, high fiber pasta and such). I've cut down on the snacks like pretzels and crackers. I think the pyramid is not misguided, it's that people misconstrue it (like always). If you look real closely, you'll see that the serving sizes are pretty small. Pasta is a half cup, bread really shouldn't be over 100 calories and I think is only one slice, a potato should be small and palm sized. Additionally people seem to forget that not everyone has a 2000 calorie allotment. It depends on age, height, sex, etc. As a middle aged woman, my calorie requirement is probably lower than a younger person's or a guy's. People who are on the lower end should eat on the lower end of the pyramid range. Six servings of grains/starches really isn't that much calorie wise. But you know the drill - people eat far more than that and thing a portion is over a cup of pasta, multiple slices of bread, etc. And then there are the snacks that somehow people don't remember when they tell their doctor "but I really don't eat a lot..."

I had gestational diabetes and I really learned what portion sizes were. I still employ the technique today. It was moderate carb and I ate fruit. I just had to live and die by the meter and learn how to pair foods. I make sure that I have balanced meals that feature carbs, protein, and fats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Same here. I personally feel 150g is ideal. In fact I just lost even more weight recently due to increased exercise and cutting back just a bit on portions.
Yep that's my game plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamReady2Move View Post
When my carbs go up, it's usually grains/bread. Instead of a bunless burger, I have a bun.
A bun, to me, falls under "useless calories". Unless it is a high fiber bun, it doesn't provide much. At the same time, I am not going to eat a bunless burger or use lettuce (yuck). Might I suggest "sandwich thins"? Thinly sliced buns and have good amount of fiber too. 100 calories.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:23 PM

3,558 posts, read 1,676,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yeah, I try to make sure that most of my carbs are with meals vs. snacks and have a good fiber content (i.e. a small baked potato, beans, high fiber pasta and such). I've cut down on the snacks like pretzels and crackers. I think the pyramid is not misguided, it's that people misconstrue it (like always). If you look real closely, you'll see that the serving sizes are pretty small. Pasta is a half cup, bread really shouldn't be over 100 calories and I think is only one slice, a potato should be small and palm sized. Additionally people seem to forget that not everyone has a 2000 calorie allotment. It depends on age, height, sex, etc. As a middle aged woman, my calorie requirement is probably lower than a younger person's or a guy's. People who are on the lower end should eat on the lower end of the pyramid range. Six servings of grains/starches really isn't that much calorie wise. But you know the drill - people eat far more than that and thing a portion is over a cup of pasta, multiple slices of bread, etc. And then there are the snacks that somehow people don't remember when they tell their doctor "but I really don't eat a lot..."

I had gestational diabetes and I really learned what portion sizes were. I still employ the technique today. It was moderate carb and I ate fruit. I just had to live and die by the meter and learn how to pair foods. I make sure that I have balanced meals that feature carbs, protein, and fats.

Yep that's my game plan.

A bun, to me, falls under "useless calories". Unless it is a high fiber bun, it doesn't provide much. At the same time, I am not going to eat a bunless burger or use lettuce (yuck). Might I suggest "sandwich thins"? Thinly sliced buns and have good amount of fiber too. 100 calories.

Thats great if you body gives you a full signal with your carbs AND YOU DONT STILL FEEL HUNGRY. You can try to think about serving size constantly, but WHY? Low carb and my body self regulates. I dont have to worry about serving size cause my body just says "Hey stupid, stop eating" at an appropriate time. Something it doesnt do if I eat high carb. And if my body isnt happy, then its going to continually remind me to find something more to eat. For at least some of us, you would have to lock us in cell and control diet through the jailer. Thats why most traditional calorie counting diets DONT WORK. Oh most people can do such through shear willpower for couple weeks, but the rest of your life, highly unlikely. When you are constantly hungry, your body then slows down your metabolism thinking you have low food supply and need to make it stretch. Thus weight loss plateau. Traditionally humans had feast or famine. People that could put on fat in feast time and slow metabolism in famine times, survived the best. In modern times with constant feast supply of food and lot fake food intended to reach people's bliss point and other such manipulations, feast and famine programming just makes you fat.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:37 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,335,319 times
I have just given up trying to stay on a low carb diet as it is just too difficult for me. Especially when you are out for lunch. I have gone back to a lower carb diet which I went on years ago and is much more suitable to my needs. So it has about three slices of bread a day, or the equivalent in other carbs. I lost weight on the low carb diet, temporarily, but when we were away it was really difficult to find food that fitted. I do not want to be just eating salads every lunch and dinner.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:57 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,304,164 times
Quote:
I am not going to eat a bunless burger or use lettuce (yuck).
I really don't miss the buns.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Thats great if you body gives you a full signal with your carbs AND YOU DONT STILL FEEL HUNGRY. You can try to think about serving size constantly, but WHY? Low carb and my body self regulates. I dont have to worry about serving size cause my body just says "Hey stupid, stop eating" at an appropriate time. Something it doesnt do if I eat high carb. And if my body isnt happy, then its going to continually remind me to find something more to eat. For at least some of us, you would have to lock us in cell and control diet through the jailer. Thats why most traditional calorie counting diets DONT WORK. Oh most people can do such through shear willpower for couple weeks, but the rest of your life, highly unlikely. When you are constantly hungry, your body then slows down your metabolism thinking you have low food supply and need to make it stretch. Thus weight loss plateau. Traditionally humans had feast or famine. People that could put on fat in feast time and slow metabolism in famine times, survived the best. In modern times with constant feast supply of food and lot fake food intended to reach people's bliss point and other such manipulations, feast and famine programming just makes you fat.
Yep, I can get full on beans and rice.

If you'll note in my post, I said that I pair my starches with a protein and fat for a COMPLETE MEAL. Such a meal results in fullness and I am able to stop eating.

I acknowledge that it's all about what you can do for life and that is why I would never follow any diet regime that would have me deny myself a food group. Because it is not sustainable for me nor desired.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I really don't miss the buns.
And I don't like my burgers on lettuce or just a patty.

A compromise would be those sandwich thins I described upthread. 100 cals, whole grain, 5gs fiber.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
And I don't like my burgers on lettuce or just a patty.

A compromise would be those sandwich thins I described upthread. 100 cals, whole grain, 5gs fiber.
I have sandwiches all the time... Aunt Millies Whole Grain bread, 35 calories, 8 carbs, 3gs fiber per slice.
Burgers are too greasy for them, so I just have 'em no bread. These are for chicken or turkey sandwiches, or toast.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:10 AM

102,364 posts, read 108,650,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I have sandwiches all the time... Aunt Millies Whole Grain bread, 35 calories, 8 carbs, 3gs fiber per slice.
Burgers are too greasy for them, so I just have 'em no bread. These are for chicken or turkey sandwiches, or toast.
That sounds good. Where is it available? I haven't seen it at my co-op, or Whole Foods, etc. Maybe it's a regional product.

It's hard to find lower-carb bread that doesn't taste like cardboard. When I do find bread with an acceptable level of carbs, I'll occasionally make a burger out of that. Otherwise, I don't mind a plain patty with melted cheese on top, either.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That sounds good. Where is it available? I haven't seen it at my co-op, or Whole Foods, etc. Maybe it's a regional product.

It's hard to find lower-carb bread that doesn't taste like cardboard. When I do find bread with an acceptable level of carbs, I'll occasionally make a burger out of that. Otherwise, I don't mind a plain patty with melted cheese on top, either.
Looks like they're all over the midwest. I always toast it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss