Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 12:59 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamReady2Move View Post
If this happens to me, I assume it happens to others.

I was at a real plateau of my weight loss. I tried keto, and I lost a lot of weight.

I also found my emotions were much more flat - this was good, though. I was much calmer and things that used to bother me didn't bother me. I was much more focused.

So what was the problem? Well, I had a physical where my LDL and Cholesterol were elevated out of normal range. No shocker, I ate a lot of meat and dairy to keep the carbs down and protein & fat up.

Also, my creativity and enjoyment of life seemed down. I'm not a professional artist, but I like to do drawing and writing and photography. When I'm on low carbs I have less energy overall, and I have no ideas for my art. I stare at blank pages and blank canvasses. I used to have ideas all the time, or start to write or draw and ideas just came.

Now, nothing. When I up the carbs, I have more energy. And my weight goes up. I've tried increasing the carbs to feel mentally better, but the weight goes up.

I wonder if other people have had a lot of emotional change from a diet change? What did you do? Is it a matter of choosing healthy weight or healthy mind? Can't have both?
So if you've made the choice to do keto, don't follow anybody telling you to go back to carbs because you simply can't just go back to carbs easily as you are sort of 1/2 way into fully fat adapted. The body will not feel good going back to carbs as you will suddenly have a huge craving overdrive to eat more breads and sugar.

Your definitely have insulin resistance because your body has not adapted to fats for fuel. I know exactly how you feel. I was that way for about 2 months into keto but now after 6months I don't think I can ever go back to eating higher carbs easily too.

What you should focus on is having your body adapt to metabolizing fat as fuel so that ketones becomes more abundant in your body. It takes about 3+ months to fully feel the effects but once it happens. You won't believe anybody who tells you that you need carbs to live.

Secondly, concentrate on intermittent fasting, the longest I went was nearly 48 hours without consuming any solids. You should focus on a 14-18 hr fast daily, from the last meal you eat to the next day. I'd go dinner at 7pm and have lunch at Noon-2pm with just a simple meal with good amounts of fats and nutrient dense foods such as avocado, kale, spinach, egg yolks, and bacon.

You'll need double the amount of Vitamin B1,B12, D, K, in order to keep your energy levels up while fasting and not eating carbs.

Majority of people get their vitamins from enriched foods like breads and dairy but you need to focus on eating wholesome raw foods that is easy to diet to your body can transition to fats as primary fuel.

Have some MCT oil with your teas or coffee, that really keeps my brain going with busy work meetings and everyone is dying for lunch or snacks but I'm doing just fine without food.

Lastly you need to keep your sodium and potassium levels topped out to the daily recommended dosage because the body uses a lot of electrolytes while on keto. There's a lot of metabolic changes to the body while in ketosis, there's a lot more hormonal activity while keto converts fat to energy as well as repairs body tissues and release human growth hormones.

So keep it up and the end result after 3-4 months is that my body feels light. No hunger pains or the feeling of starvation or deprivation. If I feel the need to eat my stomach feels light but never painful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 01:45 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:
If this happens to me, I assume it happens to others.

I was at a real plateau of my weight loss. I tried keto, and I lost a lot of weight.

I also found my emotions were much more flat - this was good, though. I was much calmer and things that used to bother me didn't bother me. I was much more focused.

So what was the problem? Well, I had a physical where my LDL and Cholesterol were elevated out of normal range. No shocker, I ate a lot of meat and dairy to keep the carbs down and protein & fat up.

Also, my creativity and enjoyment of life seemed down. I'm not a professional artist, but I like to do drawing and writing and photography. When I'm on low carbs I have less energy overall, and I have no ideas for my art. I stare at blank pages and blank canvasses. I used to have ideas all the time, or start to write or draw and ideas just came.

Now, nothing. When I up the carbs, I have more energy. And my weight goes up. I've tried increasing the carbs to feel mentally better, but the weight goes up.

I wonder if other people have had a lot of emotional change from a diet change? What did you do? Is it a matter of choosing healthy weight or healthy mind? Can't have both?
If you're looking for anecdotal evidence, I've been eating low carb for 11 years and my emotions are not flat, my creativity level is fine, and I have plenty of get up and go.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:59 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
I also don't have any emotional or creative problems due to eating low carb. OP you said your weight went up when you added them back in. Did you drop other types of foods? What types of carbs did you add back? Just breads?

Old 02-08-2020, 02:56 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Looks like they're all over the midwest. I always toast it.
I just got some at Walmart. Might want to look there.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:14 AM

289 posts, read 248,441 times
Is low carb sustainable for life though doubt there would be many that could, very likely to be deficient in nutrients and fibre.
Can't see why people think cutting out major food groups is a good idea. But yes cut the processed carbs out as much as possible.

current evidence though indicates that low-carbohydrate diets present no significant advantage over more traditional energy-restricted diets on long-term weight loss and maintenance.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16045639

Low-carbohydrate diets: what are the potential short- and long-term health implications?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14672862

Old 02-09-2020, 10:35 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,263 times
Quote:

... I had a physical where my LDL and Cholesterol were elevated out of normal range. No shocker, I ate a lot of meat and dairy to keep the carbs down and protein & fat up.

The meat and dairy are the main culprits. Reduce them, increase carbs and whole plant vegetables. When I stopped meat and dairy, I experienced a significant increase in focus and calmness -- not to mention greater energy and stamina.

Keep in mind that your biochemistry and intestinal flora/fauna on a high-meat/dairy diet are not the same as they would be on a low or no meat/dairy diet. Their byproducts are affecting you more than you may realize.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:51 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
The meat and dairy are the main culprits. Reduce them, increase carbs and whole plant vegetables.
Carbs increase cholesterol too and it's the bad kind, small particle LDL. And hey, none of these carbs actually contain cholesterol. Things are not as simple as you think. The process is called Hepatic Lipogenesis and Cholesterol Synthesis.

Quote:
Increased dietary carbohydrates, particularly simple sugars and starches with high glycemic index, can increase levels of small, dense LDL and HDL, primarily by mechanisms that involve increasing plasma triglyceride concentrations. Low-carbohydrate diets may have the opposite effects.
Influence of dietary carbohydrate and fat on LDL and HDL particle distributions.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16256003

High carbohydrate diets, triglyceride-rich lipoproteins, and coronary heart disease risk.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11078235

This does apply mainly to refined carbs by way, not complex carbs.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:03 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Is low carb sustainable for life though doubt there would be many that could, very likely to be deficient in nutrients and fibre.

Some of us have choice of low carb diet or insulin and other expensive diabetes drugs. Got a few extra $$$$ for insulin, the greedy have escalated price of it to insane level. Really horrible for T1 diabetics, where insulin is life, there is no choice for them. "whole food carbs" in more than trivial amount still raise my blood sugar. Wishful thinking that they dont. I ate a heavy whole grain and legume vegetarian diet for 30 years. I got diabetes with no family history of diabetes. Hey I was unusual diabetic without heart disease problems. Perfectly fine cholesterol levels. And blood pressure returned to normal within a month once I was stabilized on insulin. Again I ate a vegetarian whole food diet!!! Still got diabetes. Starch/Carbs are still starch/carbs even from wholesome whole foods. Its still going to spike your blood sugar. The small amount of extra fiber in whole grains compared to refined grains, doesnt make up for the huge concentration of starch in grain (starchy seed).

I have been eating low carb since my diagnosis like four years ago. Its low carb, around 100 grams carb per day, not keto. I dont know that actual keto is sustainable, it probably is, but not with factory farm foods from supermarket. And by way I am low carb with mostly vegetable and oily seed diet (flax, sunflower seed, pumpkin seed, etc), along with eggs. Not meat and dairy. I personally dont care much for meat, least not more than in occasional tiny amounts, plus quality grass fed meat is $$$$. Even hard to find wild fish, its all this confined fish fed on dog food on fish farms. I do use some whole milk yogurt, just milk and yogurt culture, no sugars, flavors, fillers, etc. The culture helps deal with the lactose. You really gotta look at labels. The capitalists will adulterate anything they can get away with to increase profits by few pennies. They arent concerned with your health, only their pocketbooks.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:59 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,263 times
All carbs are not equal and in these discussions it is probably best to specify what type, i.e., whole grains, rice, whole plants, and other complex carbs, vs simple sugars and other refined carbs. That helps simplify things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Carbs increase cholesterol too and it's the bad kind, small particle LDL. And hey, none of these carbs actually contain cholesterol. Things are not as simple as you think. The process is called Hepatic Lipogenesis and Cholesterol Synthesis.

Influence of dietary carbohydrate and fat on LDL and HDL particle distributions.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16256003

High carbohydrate diets, triglyceride-rich lipoproteins, and coronary heart disease risk.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11078235

This does apply mainly to refined carbs by way, not complex carbs.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:55 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
All carbs are not equal and in these discussions it is probably best to specify what type, i.e., whole grains, rice, whole plants, and other complex carbs, vs simple sugars and other refined carbs. That helps simplify things.
It's in the last sentence of my post.

Since the body has a limited capacity for glycogen, anything that is based on glucose (carbs) and not burned gets stored as fat. There is no where else for it to go. This also applies to fats and proteins but they take a different metabolic pathway. Protein can also be absorbed to gain muscle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss