Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 08:28 AM

197 posts, read 280,539 times

Advertisements

If this happens to me, I assume it happens to others.

I was at a real plateau of my weight loss. I tried keto, and I lost a lot of weight.

I also found my emotions were much more flat - this was good, though. I was much calmer and things that used to bother me didn't bother me. I was much more focused.

So what was the problem? Well, I had a physical where my LDL and Cholesterol were elevated out of normal range. No shocker, I ate a lot of meat and dairy to keep the carbs down and protein & fat up.

Also, my creativity and enjoyment of life seemed down. I'm not a professional artist, but I like to do drawing and writing and photography. When I'm on low carbs I have less energy overall, and I have no ideas for my art. I stare at blank pages and blank canvasses. I used to have ideas all the time, or start to write or draw and ideas just came.

Now, nothing. When I up the carbs, I have more energy. And my weight goes up. I've tried increasing the carbs to feel mentally better, but the weight goes up.

I wonder if other people have had a lot of emotional change from a diet change? What did you do? Is it a matter of choosing healthy weight or healthy mind? Can't have both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 11:36 AM

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/a...arb-state-mind

Old 02-06-2020, 11:41 AM

289 posts, read 250,132 times
Nothing wrong with Carbs they do not make you fat any more than fat or protein will its Calories.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:53 AM

3,558 posts, read 1,672,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Nothing wrong with Carbs they do not make you fat any more than fat or protein will its Calories.

The carbs just dont trigger the "hey stupid, you are full, stop eating!" signal. You eat and eat and eat until you are physically uncomfortable. Protein, fat, and fiber give you that signal pretty quick. Nobody has to loosen their belt on low carb diet. You just cant overeat on protein and fat. So yea a calorie of energy is a calorie of energy, just some of those calories whole lot easier to resist without your body feeling starved.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:47 PM

22,694 posts, read 24,718,492 times
Yeah, that is the key........how low in carbs before you start mentally bonking. Remember also, there is going to be an adaptation-period on the changeover to low-carb, you might feel kinda off for a while.

One individual who is adapted to low-carb, may need a different minimum-level of carbs to feel good compared to someone else. Low-carb, hey, you do not need to go all insanely gonzo............maybe going from 250-grams of carb a day, to a fat-adapted level that is somewhere around 50-grams a day.

If you go low-carb, you have to listen to your body.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:23 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,561,928 times
I eat about 150g of carbs, maybe a little more, daily and both my waistline and mind are fine.

Also, what carbs are you eating? If it's junk, then your weight gain doesn't surprise me.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:14 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,296,449 times
Never had a problem and have been on a low carb (I shoot for 20g a day) diet for years.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:19 AM

17,581 posts, read 39,285,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I eat about 150g of carbs, maybe a little more, daily and both my waistline and mind are fine.

Also, what carbs are you eating? If it's junk, then your weight gain doesn't surprise me.
Same here. I personally feel 150g is ideal. In fact I just lost even more weight recently due to increased exercise and cutting back just a bit on portions.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:34 AM

3,558 posts, read 1,672,068 times
What works for you. I personally feel range of 100g to 200g is reasonable. Though if you have T2, then go as low as you need to go to get it under control. The real problem isnt limiting yourself to this range, the problem is most people eat multiples of this. The official pyramid/plate/whatever guideline is more political than realistic. Thus the crazy conflicting diet recommendations when I was officially diagnosed as T2. I mean a high carb diet for diabetes???? Really??? Go back to the days before injectable insulin and other diabetic drugs. You got recommended a low carb diet.

Now watch out, artificial sweetener saccharine was new and being recommended for diabetics at the time. Think thats poor choice, though at time I get why it was recommended, supposed to satisfy sweet tooth without raising blood sugar. After insulin was available, low carb was just too much work for doctors, their new motto was inject em and let em eat cake.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

When my carbs go up, it's usually grains/bread. Instead of a bunless burger, I have a bun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss