Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I continue with my diet
Yes 17 60.71%
No, I do not reccomend it 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 11:43 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm now 5 months into Keto and things are definitely different. If you ask anyone who's done 3+ months of solid keto they would say staying the course.

Because if you struggled hard in the beginning and didn't push for the body to get acclimated then you are not really doing keto. When the body is finally running on keto as your normal energy fuel it's a competely different body experience than being on carbs.

It's definitely a new body experience different than just plain weight loss. The ability to concentrate now is amazing. I never realize that the brain fog is so apparent if you eat a lot of sugar.

Anyways, for those folks that suffered Keto Flu or all other symptoms, you need to read up on your nutritional deficiencies. It's not Keto that is giving you those problems it's your body telling you that your body is missing some key nutrients that you used to get from carb foods. Read up and your body will be back to normal when you boost those nutrients.
Its great that it works for you, but dont think even if you can get past the Keto flu you will do well. I did a solid six months of Keto eating. I checked my urine daily to make sure I was in ketosis. I felt great after the flu passed, and even into my 3 and 4th month. I gave it up after 6 months because I just did not feel that great. I had to take a slew of supplements, I was always constipated, I had been 5-6 pounds away from my goal weight since I stoped losing after 4 months. Not to mention my social life was crap because of my limited food choices.

So for those that CAN stay the course kudos to you! But for those who cannot do not assume they could have if they just tried a little harder.

Years later after I had gained back the weight I lost and then some I did Weight Watchers and lost all the weight and had the freedom to eat what I wanted and I have been maintaining that loss for over 10 years now. I am sure that has to do with my dedication to working out and eating healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 05:44 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
I've done 2 rounds of Keto.
Had GREAT WEIGHT LOSS at the expense of my health.
Each time I suffered kidney stones.
Because of the excruciating pain I wont try a 3rd round.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:41 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm now 5 months into Keto and things are definitely different. If you ask anyone who's done 3+ months of solid keto they would say staying the course.

Because if you struggled hard in the beginning and didn't push for the body to get acclimated then you are not really doing keto. When the body is finally running on keto as your normal energy fuel it's a competely different body experience than being on carbs.

It's definitely a new body experience different than just plain weight loss. The ability to concentrate now is amazing. I never realize that the brain fog is so apparent if you eat a lot of sugar.

Anyways, for those folks that suffered Keto Flu or all other symptoms, you need to read up on your nutritional deficiencies. It's not Keto that is giving you those problems it's your body telling you that your body is missing some key nutrients that you used to get from carb foods. Read up and your body will be back to normal when you boost those nutrients.
if your body is trying to tell you something why would you ignore it, particularly when it comes to nutrients? dieting should not be at the expense of nutrition and most of the nutrition needs to come from your food.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:30 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I recommend crustless pizza. IMO, the best low carb pizza sauce is Mids.
BTW... low carb grilled cheese is not impossible. I use Aunt Millies Whole Grain... two slices is just 11 net carbs.
I make this bread...2 slices is around 5g net carbs.

https://youtu.be/OHJdHPKAMXg

Old 02-17-2020, 02:26 PM

289 posts, read 248,441 times
Would not advise doing any diet plan that excludes whole macro groups, no long term studies to show what the effects on your health maybe.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 1,478 times
I am currently 4 weeks in to my ketogenic diet. I have lost around 17 pounds and haven't felt this good in a while. I have been feeling not only outstanding physically, but my mental sharpness has increased as well. A large amount of credit has to go to my dietician mentor who has helped me every step of the way. I agree that the "NO CARB" aspect of the keto diet is pretty daunting, but I have still been able to eat very tasty meals that don't leave me still hungry or unfulfilled afterwards. As far as exercise, I have been working out 3-4 times a week while incorporating about 15 minutes of cardio into each workout. Sleep as also been a very important component in this journey of weight loss. I highly recommend this keto diet and hope that my experience can change others' negative connotations.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:30 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
I went from years of mostly low carb, two meals a day back to keto a few weeks ago. I didn't have to tweak my foods much, just add more fats. My calorie counts actually have gone up.

I had no keto flu, no constipation. Most of my carbs come from vegetables and that totals 15-18 carbs per day. I have no cravings, something I struggled with even when eating low carb many days. I easily transitioned to one meal a day in the evening and add breakfast twice a week, not because I'm hungry, just feel like I should mix it up a bit.

I feel great. I don't need to take glucosamine anymore for joint issues. My good sleep is even better, not waking up at all during the night. My goal is to increase autophagy. As a side benefit, I'm dropping a couple of pounds a week without increasing exercise.

For me, this is a great way to eat. I love all the foods and don't feel deprived of anything.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I went from years of mostly low carb, two meals a day back to keto a few weeks ago. I didn't have to tweak my foods much, just add more fats. My calorie counts actually have gone up.

I had no keto flu, no constipation. Most of my carbs come from vegetables and that totals 15-18 carbs per day. I have no cravings, something I struggled with even when eating low carb many days. I easily transitioned to one meal a day in the evening and add breakfast twice a week, not because I'm hungry, just feel like I should mix it up a bit.

I feel great. I don't need to take glucosamine anymore for joint issues. My good sleep is even better, not waking up at all during the night. My goal is to increase autophagy. As a side benefit, I'm dropping a couple of pounds a week without increasing exercise.

For me, this is a great way to eat. I love all the foods and don't feel deprived of anything.
It's good that you were already used to not having carb cravings so you adapted to keto much easier. It's not an easy diet for people who having insulin resistance or pre-diabetic to shift their energy from carb burning to ketosis. The body goes to alot of changes in order to shift to using ketones as energy. It's something that takes a month to transition smoothly. I know people who eat only meats and no sugar/carbs and felt like crap. It's definitely a major change to the body when you are carb adapted and suddenly transitioned to ketones.

Once you are confirmed on ketones, the body definitely feels lighter and leaner. You don't need that much food and you can do more with less.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:28 AM

289 posts, read 248,441 times
Default This Study on Nearly Half a Million People Has Bad News For The Keto Diet

This Study on Nearly Half a Million People Has Bad News For The Keto Diet

https://www.sciencealert.com/study-o...-for-keto-diet

Old 03-02-2020, 01:26 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
This Study on Nearly Half a Million People Has Bad News For The Keto Diet

https://www.sciencealert.com/study-o...-for-keto-diet
More "defensive" prose from the status quo. . . the same MSM that bad mouthed fat since the 1970s, when it wasn't true.

Let's ignore the North American Indian who survived and thrived eating PEMMICAN (80% fat) and didn't die off from malnutrition and other sundry diseases.
Inuit and Eskimos traditionally ate high fat diets and still haven't died off.

Remember, there are essential proteins and fatty acids. There are no essential carbohydrates.

Ketosis in the Bush
38 Days Of Pemmican – Ketosis In The Winter Bush

http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf
Pemmican manual
(Pemmican has been chased off the shelves by FDA because the dried meat is not cooked to "safe" [approved] temperatures.)
. . . .
Similar fat content to pemmican -

Keto friendly high fat content processed meats : _ Spam _ Pepperoni _Mortadella _ Salami _ Bologna _ Summer sausage _
. . . .

If concerned over calcium and magnesium intake, consider making bone broth with leftover bones.

Tired of the same old soups? Make meat smoothies.

Addendum dee dum:

FAT IS HEALTHY
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...olesterol.aspx
The latest science suggests healthy fats (saturated and unsaturated fats from whole food, animal, and plant sources) should comprise anywhere from 50 to 85 percent of your overall energy intake.
"There has never been solid evidence for the idea that these [saturated] fats cause disease. We only believe this to be the case because nutrition policy has been derailed over the past half-century by a mixture of personal ambition, bad science, politics, and bias."
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...-you-after-all
[R]esearchers wrote in JAMA Internal Medicine, that the sugar industry paid scientists in the 1960s to downplay links between sugar and heart disease, and instead play up the emerging science about saturated fat as a more likely contributor to heart disease problems than sugar.
There are essential proteins.
There are essential fatty acids (fat).
There are no “essential” carbohydrates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss