Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 07:21 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,407,298 times

Advertisements

Brand new study that just came out. What are your thoughts?

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advanc...nqz348/5713417

Conclusions
In 3 large international prospective studies including ∼177,000 individuals, 12,701 deaths, and 13,658 CVD events from 50 countries in 6 continents, we did not find significant associations between egg intake and blood lipids, mortality, or major CVD events. The ONTARGET and TRANSCEND trials were registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00153101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 07:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Studies are great, yet everyone is different - cuz they don't just eat eggs with animal fat...or eat so many
processed carbs, too.

For 6 months before my next blood test for my yearly physical I stopped animal fats 95% -
I may have a whole egg once a month that's reducing 5-7 grams of animal fat.
Compared to an egg every morning! Maybe egg salad once a week with 2 eggs. (ALWAYS org.)
Egg white omelets are great.
I do think eggs are normally fine in moderation - not 2-3 every single day with other
animal fats, bacon, melted cheese, yum, and too many carbs.

But I was eating way too much animal fat - butter, cheese, red meats, whole milk and eggs, my bad.
It showed in my cholesterol.
Now it's a game for me to see if it helps - (increasing good oils and oatmeal or oat tablets.
Low carbs always. Off topic.)

Old 02-23-2020, 07:42 AM

289 posts, read 248,641 times
No eggs are great and eat the dam yolk

Old 02-23-2020, 12:01 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
I eat 'em all the time.
They fill me up, they're fairly low cal, are quite high in protein and have almost no carbs so they don't raise my blood sugar.

Old 02-23-2020, 02:12 PM

289 posts, read 248,641 times
Cholesterol in our body is made by our liver-it doesn't come from cholesterol we eat.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:14 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
Cholesterol in our body is made by our liver-it doesn't come from cholesterol we eat.
Liver makes all kinds of fun stuff.
The one that I verified with my glucometer is the spike in blood sugar I get from intense exercise.
This spike happens even when it's been 20 hrs since I ate anything.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4826571/

I used to wonder if I would get hypoglycemia from fasting exercise. Now I don't.
This explains why it never happens. Basically if I get this spike, I'm doing my job at the gym.
I'm also not hungry for awhile after. I get hungry once my blood sugar goes back down... by that time I'm back home.

Old 02-23-2020, 07:02 PM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
Got to agree with royalmike on this one. I never knew anyone who stopped eating eggs or yolks.

Old 02-23-2020, 07:55 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Brand new study that just came out. What are your thoughts?

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advanc...nqz348/5713417

Conclusions
In 3 large international prospective studies including ∼177,000 individuals, 12,701 deaths, and 13,658 CVD events from 50 countries in 6 continents, we did not find significant associations between egg intake and blood lipids, mortality, or major CVD events. The ONTARGET and TRANSCEND trials were registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00153101.
Nothing really novel there, just further confirmation of existing science. The whole two a day is fine thing was when I was a young kid. Marketing, of course, but marketing aimed at 1970s studies which have long since been 30+ years ago.

Old 02-24-2020, 04:04 AM

1,198 posts, read 662,253 times
I personally eat about 3 eggs per week on average (mostly a weekend egg eater), occasionally more or less. I avoided eggs (and all other animal foods) for about 6.5 years, but now eat eggs, dairy, fish in moderation since December 2017. My fasting lipid panel in November 2019 was excellent (total 155, HDL 70, LDL 75, triglycerides 50) so I am not concerned with eating eggs. I'm not sure I would eat them daily though. When I was completely avoiding eggs/animal products my fasting lipid profile was not that much different in 2012 (total 125, HDL 57, LDL 67, triglycerides 47). LDL was lower but so was HDL (my increase in HDL I credit to the fish I eat). My exercise patterns, weight etc were very close to the same with each comparison, though weight slightly lower in 2012 (I was underweight then).

I am attracted by some of the nutritional value in even a single egg. For one large egg, it has 11% b12, 5% vitamin A, 4% vitamin D, 6% folate, 23% selenium, 5% iron, and 4% zinc. It has 6.3 grams protein (with all of the amino acids present so a complete protein). Since I don't eat meat other than fish a few times each week, some of these nutrient values are important to me though I also rely on a number of other foods for them.

I do buy my eggs primarily from one local source (small well known farm in the area) where the hens graze on pasture and eat a natural diet (bugs, grass etc), so they are much more $$$ than cheaper mass produced eggs. That is one reason I don't eat eggs daily. Plus I do still hesitate due to the cholesterol and fat, being so ingrained in vegetarian culture for years. I don't tend to mix egg with stuff like cheese, butter, white flour etc but often eat them with vegetables, whole grains, or on their own. I'll be the first to admit though, when I do bake, baking with eggs makes such a huge difference compared to without. Stuff like flaxseed, banana, cornstarch, aquafaba is ok but will not produce the incredible results that eggs will.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:24 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
If you have obvious problems, such as allergies or intolerance to eggs, then probably best to avoid or seriously limit. If you are mainly fueling your body with carbs, it is probably a good idea to limit overall fat, including the fat found in eggs.

Myself, I eat very low-carb/high fat.....and I eat somewhere between one and 2 dozen eggs a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss