Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 01:41 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,604,854 times

Advertisements

I went on a calorie restrictive/nutritional diet in September. I hit my goal (finally), and then some.

But NOW...I'm in a bad mood more often than in the past. I don't know why, but I can't help but think it has something to do with my diet.

I have had a few days of "fun" foods (Christmas, Thanksgiving, a couple of other days), which I then made up for. So it's not like I've deprived myself the whole time.

My diet has been sound nutritionally. I keep a detailed log of everything I eat, incl calories, fat, protein, carbs, fiber, sodium, calcium, Vit D, & Magnesium.

I don't have a health problem to account for the bad mood.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or am I just getting crabby as I get older? (I'm over 60.) Or is it that I'm not exercising enough? (I don't exercise much these days.)

I'm gradually increasing my calorie intake a bit, to see how much I can eat and stay the same weight. I should mention that the calorie limit I could eat & lose weight was pretty low. In case my bad mood was related to the low calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 01:54 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,802,477 times
How is your social life? How is your sleep? Exercise is very good for mental health too.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:55 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,832,451 times
Exercise is a great mood lifter. I would recommend making it a priority. Find something you like doing and then stick to it.
Your mood may have nothing to do with your diet. I would schedule an appointment with your doctor. You might be depressed.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:12 PM

289 posts, read 248,991 times
How many calories are you eating daily? most people get moody if they drop calories to low,
And as above well proven and tested exercise will help a lot with depression

Old 03-09-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
How is your social life? How is your sleep? Exercise is very good for mental health too.
Social life is nil. I have too many concerns going on to socialize. I moved a few yrs ago, so don't know many people here (that i care to know). I'm near a couple of relatives, tho. Sleep is fine.

I guess exercise would help. I'm pretty stressed out.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
How many calories are you eating daily? most people get moody if they drop calories to low,
And as above well proven and tested exercise will help a lot with depression
Since September, on many days I've eaten about 500 to 600 cals/day, many days about 800, fewer days between 800 and 1000. An occasional day I've eaten maybe 1200. I didn't count the holiday calories, tho.

I know that's pretty low, but I've been inching it up slightly, slowly. I now eat about 750-800 on most days, with few days lower than that.

It's pretty lean, but it is nutritionally sound, which is hard to do on so few calories. Which is why I have to log it all. I have to get a certain amt of protein, calcium, Vit D, etc. a day. (I take supplements)

Old 03-09-2020, 05:24 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,411,054 times
Yes I get super cranky when I go low carb.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:36 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,270,133 times
I get crabby when my blood sugar gets too low.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:16 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,508,787 times
I’d be cranky too if I ate so few calories. That is way too low and extreme.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:58 AM

6,568 posts, read 8,415,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Social life is nil. I have too many concerns going on to socialize. I moved a few yrs ago, so don't know many people here (that i care to know). I'm near a couple of relatives, tho. Sleep is fine.

I guess exercise would help. I'm pretty stressed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Since September, on many days I've eaten about 500 to 600 cals/day, many days about 800, fewer days between 800 and 1000. An occasional day I've eaten maybe 1200. I didn't count the holiday calories, tho.

I know that's pretty low, but I've been inching it up slightly, slowly. I now eat about 750-800 on most days, with few days lower than that.

It's pretty lean, but it is nutritionally sound, which is hard to do on so few calories. Which is why I have to log it all. I have to get a certain amt of protein, calcium, Vit D, etc. a day. (I take supplements)
The concerns and the stress are definitely contributors to your mood (crankiness).

Your calorie intake is extremely low. You should not be eating less than 1000 calories per day (if your doctor hasn't advised you to do so). If you're in weight maintenance stage, you should up your calorie intake to a healthier level, and try to get nutrients more from foods than supplements.

Have you considered seeing a nutritionist to help you find a healthy balance?

Concerns, stress, and poor nutrition would make anyone cranky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss