Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 11:00 AM

26,432 posts, read 46,643,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
If you read my post more carefully you'll see that I didn't write anything about the USDA. This plate concept came from the ADA--the Amerian Diabetes Association. There is a difference.

The ADA encourages people to eat more than wheat. You should get your carbs from variable sources. People frequently have problems with wheat and other carbs because they don't have any concept of a single serving or their daily limit. They also tend the eat "low quality carbs," which will set you up for disaster. The more brown your carbs, the better. They're loaded with vitamins, minerals and fiber. The fiber also helps to keep you full so you don't feel like you're starving and it encourages healthy gut bacteria. Do-it-yourself probiotics.

I have always used the ADA's more traditional diet for diabetics for the past 30 years to lose and keep off weight. It has always worked perfectly for me and has never failed me. It only fails when I stop following it. This year I fell victim to "quarantine baking" and added a few extra pounds. About 5 weeks ago I got back on track. I am doing a 1800-calorie-a-day ADA diet. I've dropped 22 pounds, averaging about a half a pound a day. I feel great.
Ever since my radical diet change over 10 years ago, I have developed a completely different view of satiation after consuming most foods. Smaller meals are more filling and I never have the starving sensation between meals like I did make it the period of wheat consumption times. If more Americans figured this out we would solve the obesity epidemic by about 75-85% at least.
All store bought breads are processed food, regardless if they are whole grain or not. Hundreds of added ingredients equal no greater nutritional value than junk food. The vitamins, minerals, and fiber nonsense is just to get people to buy the garbage. You can take a multi-vitamin and other supplements and get all the required items in that manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss