Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 10:26 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I can't say I have noticed a change in my actual body shape (in my 50's). I could stand to lose a few pounds, but my actual shape isn't really much different.
Have you completed menopause (technically, you're "perimenopausal" until you've gone without a period for a full year)? Are you taking HRT? Do you exercise and diet? Inquiring minds want to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 08:12 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I guess I'm one of those women. I have no secret to share though.

I'm the same weight that I was at age 20. I'm 63 now.
My hips are a tad bigger but that is due to having a baby in my late 20's.

My body type is ectomorph...lean with a high metabolism.
My father's side of the family were all like that all their lives

It's both a blessing and a curse though. A blessing for me in general and a curse when women start talking about weight, body shape, etc. and I try to fade into the shadows or melt into the ground before they turn to me and say something. Many are convinced I have some type of disease/medical condition that keeps me skinny
Yeah, I’m 56 y. o., 5’ 5.5”. When I was 20, I weighed 125lbs and looked great. Now I weigh 115lbs and look kind of “fluffy” around the middle. So, yes, I look “fatter“ now than when I was younger, even though I am 10 lbs lighter — and I work out more now than I did then.

It doesn’t seem fair, but it is what it is. Nothing you can do about it really.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:15 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,460 times
I think it mostly genetic. Like my mom, I fight just to not gain weight and everything is saggy. I watch what I eat, don’t drink, never smoked, and exercise.

A woman in the neighborhood (I’m guessing she’s in her 60’s), a mom, competes on American Ninja Warrior, for heaven’s sakes! She works out where I do and that woman doesn’t have one ounce of cellulite.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
I think it mostly genetic. Like my mom, I fight just to not gain weight and everything is saggy. I watch what I eat, don’t drink, never smoked, and exercise.

A woman in the neighborhood (I’m guessing she’s in her 60’s), a mom, competes on American Ninja Warrior, for heaven’s sakes! She works out where I do and that woman doesn’t have one ounce of cellulite.
I think you're right. My body looks more and more like my Mom's at my age, and I never thought that would happen! We were both nice and thin with great figures when younger. Obviously not the genetic type to stay nice and thin with great figures when older without a lot of effort, which neither of us is inclined to put forth...

Old 08-29-2020, 04:36 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Is it height moreso than weight that is the problem?

Old 08-29-2020, 06:03 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
I'm past menopause and have mostly kept my figure in check through diet and exercise--until Covid came along. Now I've been away from the gym for five months. I use to go 4-5 days a week. And did both aerobic and weight training on the machines and some free weights.

Even though I've tried to take up the slack through more walking and cycling and home yoga, my figure has changed--even though my weight has stayed the same.

Lots more belly fat--and loss of taut muscles. I sure do miss those machines at the gym. But I still feel healthy even though I'm losing toned muscles.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:16 AM

1,199 posts, read 659,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Yeah, I’m 56 y. o., 5’ 5.5”. When I was 20, I weighed 125lbs and looked great. Now I weigh 115lbs and look kind of “fluffy” around the middle. So, yes, I look “fatter“ now than when I was younger, even though I am 10 lbs lighter — and I work out more now than I did then.

It doesn’t seem fair, but it is what it is. Nothing you can do about it really.
Same! I am also 5'5.5", weigh 113-114 lbs, 48 years old, been in surgical menopause since age 33 but on full dose Vivelle Dot HRT with occasional natural progesterone, have also had hypothyroidism for 31 years. I work harder now than in my twenties, exercising an hour and a half per day (was up to three hours per day but cut down due to massive injuries). I have more muscle but also am more "fluffy" than in twenties. I wonder if it's because all that muscle is pushing out my fat more. I wasn't as active in twenties. Back then I weighed from 116-122 depending on living situation.

I feel odd wearing a size four jeans at my height and weight when I have friends who are twenty lbs heavier wearing a size zero. But I am built with more fat in thighs, butt area and extremely tiny on top with AA size breasts. I hate that but there is no way to change it. I tried paring down to 90 lbs for a long time to get my bottom half to size 00 but I looked skeletal on top and lost a ton of bone density and was very sick and went to drastic measures to keep weight that low. I'm still getting used to being the weight I am now even though it's been six years weighing this. I don't weigh this naturally. I eat very clean, less than I did in twenties and exercise very hard to sustain this weight. I fear I'd just keep gaining if I wasn't so strict. I don't drop weight as easy as I used to either.

Surgical menopause definitely changed my body a LOT. I have more fat in middle/tummy though I do Pilates and a minimum of 100 different ab sets per day as well as cardio etc. I have less tissue in breasts. I am up early every morning, 4am and can't sleep past 9pm. When I was younger I stayed up late and slept in. I still have thick hair but it's more dry. I don't build muscle as easy but I workout smarter in my 40s. My body doesn't bounce back as fast as it used to.

Old 08-29-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think you're right. My body looks more and more like my Mom's at my age, and I never thought that would happen! We were both nice and thin with great figures when younger. Obviously not the genetic type to stay nice and thin with great figures when older without a lot of effort, which neither of us is inclined to put forth...
Also...I DID attribute the loss of her and others' figures to having had children, which I didn't, as well as to not dieting/exercising, which I did, but it turned out neither of those factors spared me!

Old 08-29-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Is it height moreso than weight that is the problem?
Nooooooo; the weight is the problem.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:53 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Nooooooo; the weight is the problem.
What i meant was if taller women are more likely to keep their figures post menopause.

Seems that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss