Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 05:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times

Advertisements

I agree with everyone else that you should just go out and walk and no one will judge you. In fact, most people will be rooting for you and congratulating you (either silently or out loud).

I'm in my late 60s, quite overweight with a variety of health issues. When I first started walking I couldn't walk around my neighborhood (1/3 of mile) without stopping for a rest. Over the weeks and months I went longer and longer distances and ended up walking two miles a day (probably six days a week). In all that time no one, even kids and teenagers on bikes, said anything negative to me (or even gave me odd looks). In fact, most people smile and wave to me from their cars and bikes or say "hello" if they are walking, too. Of course, I return their smiles, waves and greetings.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 12:46 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I just started exercising again after slacking off for years, and I found it's very tough at first, but you quickly gain quite a bit of endurance. For instance, I could barely do three (proper) push-ups on my first day, but now I'm up to 20 a day (usually in 2-3 increments) after two weeks. Same with sit-ups. For walking, I would give yourself realistic goals for distance, and slowly lengthen that distance per day. I find drinking a lot more water makes a huge difference in how you feel also.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:09 AM

936 posts, read 823,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm 60 years old and a male standing at 6' and 285 pounds. I have exercised very little in my life and due only to some fairly active jobs have I not become morbidly obese. I suffer from sleep apnea and the muscle aches of too little exercise. I really want to start recreational walking but how does one get past the embarrassment of huffing and puffing during what should be a normal stroll for most? I have had friends volunteer to join but that seems even more embarrassing. i really would appreciate any thoughts from those who shared a similar perspective. Thanks!
I've been where you are. About 7 years ago I was at 280lbs as a 47-year-old, 6-foot male. When you're that big, exercising can be a miserable experience. Over the course of nine or ten months I went on a diet and dropped about 80lbs, going from 280 to 200.

My advice to you is to start by focusing solely on your diet. Exercising is not essential at all when your at 285lbs. You can easily drop more than 50 to 60 pounds without any exercise whatsoever. I did it. I lost my first 50 pounds and never broke a sweat for one minute or did anything that even remotely resembled exercising. Exercising only becomes important as you're closing in on your goal weight, the last stubborn 15 or 20 vanity pounds.

I did not go on some radical, crazy diet to lose the 80lbs. I basically ate and planned my meals like a diabetic. Everyone in my immediate family is a diabetic--except me. At 280lbs I was quickly heading towards diabetes too, so I figured that I should just go ahead and live and eat like I had Type 2 diabetes. It worked. I followed a 1800-calorie diet for diabetics, using a system of tracking my daily intake of carbs, fruit, milk, meat, veggies, fats... It's the same diet that hospitals have used for 50 to 60 years to treat diabetics and help them control their blood sugar.. Once I got the swing of it, I was losing about a half a pound a day or about 3 or 4 pounds a week. --No exercise required. . But I remember that after I lost my first 25 or 30 pounds, my energy levels soared. Each week it became easier and easier to become physically active. I could go on a walk without feeling like I was going to die. I know that will happen for you too.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:29 AM

1,938 posts, read 702,566 times
I've always been on the slim side and I've always preferred to exercise at home. Mainly using tapes. But, I did get into
aqua-size (I like the water -indoor pool) and do miss that during these Covid days. I've been using some walk dvds.
The weather is never an issue and you don't have to worry about other people. It's true, diet matters also.

Best of luck to you!

Old 09-26-2020, 08:22 AM

524 posts, read 361,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Whenever I see someone large exercising I always think, 'good for them!'.
Don't let fear keep you from moving your body. Besides diet it is the most important thing you can do for your health.
Go slow, baby steps. No need to do more than you are comfortable with now. You will be amazed how quickly you become accustomed to exercise and how your body strengthens.
THIS!!!
Mr doctor reminded me...."Its not going to come off overnight....look how long it took to put it on"

Old 09-28-2020, 12:10 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,454,674 times
There's plenty of 24 gyms that will allow you to workout at 5am in the morning when no one is there.

It's not about being embarrassed, it's about doing what it takes to get healthy.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:34 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
As a heavy guy that walks alot, you'll never see anything more than a "hello" type greeting from anyone else. No one cares. You will see all sorts on walking trails, etc. From obese to skinny, attractive to not so much, young and old.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:51 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,245 times
I LOVE the book The Obstacle is the Way.

Getting over embarrassment is no joke. It's hard. I get embarrassed for a different reason (I have to use a walking stick b/c my balance is terrible).

I found that the more I used my walking stick the less embarrassed I've become.

Also, I promise this is true: thin, strong people see you and think, "Way to go!" They don't think you're goofy, they think you're heroic.

Hugs,

W.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:55 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
One foot in front of the other. One block at a time. I guarantee you that the vast majority of people will either not notice you at all or will be silently cheering you on. You can do it.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:47 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
Don't be afraid! Walking is great for your health and you will be happy with the results you will get from getting out there and walking. Please start your walking program!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss