Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 02:37 PM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times

Advertisements

I'm 60 years old and a male standing at 6' and 285 pounds. I have exercised very little in my life and due only to some fairly active jobs have I not become morbidly obese. I suffer from sleep apnea and the muscle aches of too little exercise. I really want to start recreational walking but how does one get past the embarrassment of huffing and puffing during what should be a normal stroll for most? I have had friends volunteer to join but that seems even more embarrassing. i really would appreciate any thoughts from those who shared a similar perspective. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 02:42 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,209 times
Everybody thinks this starting out, they quickly come to realize nobody cares or is paying attention to what they're doing.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:46 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
All this is very new for you. A couple of sessions with a trainer to help you design a safe beginning workout routine could get you off on the best foot and avoid injuries. Do you have any potential health concerns? If you don't know, maybe check with your PCP before starting. It might help to find a quiet trail or residential street (or a time of day) to walk that doesn't attract many other walkers. The only person who might notice your huffing and puffing would be you. What about renting a treadmill and using it at home until you get past that difficult beginner phase?

Old 09-11-2020, 07:00 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Whenever I see someone large exercising I always think, 'good for them!'.
Don't let fear keep you from moving your body. Besides diet it is the most important thing you can do for your health.
Go slow, baby steps. No need to do more than you are comfortable with now. You will be amazed how quickly you become accustomed to exercise and how your body strengthens.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:23 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,233,645 times
I agree, most people aren't paying much attention to you, or at least not thinking what you are thinking they are.

But scope out the route if you want--drive it and see how many others are along the route at a given time. It may feel vulnerable to walk through your own neighborhood. A park may feel more comfortable. Where I live, I avoid the riverfront and lakefront because it's filled with obnoxiously young thin people.

Get a nice workout playlist going and focus on your stride.

Check out your local animal shelter--they may have a volunteer dog walking program. No one cares what you look like when you have a dog with you.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:20 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
I see morbidly obese people out huffing and puffing on the walking/biking trail everytime I'm on it. Literally, every single time. I never even give them a second thought, and think no different of them then someone jogging with no shirt on and having about 15% body fat.

I'd recommend ear buds, some iTunes, and do your thing.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:27 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,605 times
Self doubt is holding you back. Build up your confidence and start small and grow from there. Start working on your personal development everyday. Ed Mylett is a good inspirational person to listen to.

https://youtu.be/hIPL7FPfUUI

Old 09-12-2020, 12:34 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
There's no need for embarrassment. You've acknowledged that you have a problem and you're out there trying to fix it. Nobody is going to make fun of you for that.

Plus, as has already been said, when working out - most people are focused on the task at hand. They aren't paying attention to you or what you're doing.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:43 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
If you're really embarrassed and can't get past it, get an elliptical and use it at home. The first couple weeks will feel pretty bad, but after that you can feel it making your whole body more agile and fit.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:55 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Meh. I wouldn't care really. I'd be more inclined to stop and start a conversation if I had the time and try to motivate you in some way. You huffing and puffing should be encouraged.

I wish you luck. Walk everyday dude eat less. Cut down the sugars!!!! I cut out the crap a couple of years ago and I lost 25 pounds in 18 months and it's staying off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss