Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 08:26 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,233,962 times

Advertisements

I really wish alcohol acted as more of an appetite suppressant.

Ive even tried diet pills and they aren't helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 09:31 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
I was a little overweight going into the pandemic (also started working remote in mid-March). Within a month, I had put on another 5-6 lbs. I knew I had to get control of myself.

So, I logged back into my MyFitnessPal account to start tracking my food. I was just eating too much and it creeps up on you gradually. From late April through early August, I ate 1500 calories per day. I had a few "overage" days in there for birthdays, etc. but overall I kept it steady. I managed to lose 15 lbs. No exercise here at all due to an ankle issue.

For me, it really comes down to what goes on in the kitchen. I would take a very hard look at your caloric intake. Alcoholic beverages are fairly calorically dense depending what you are drinking. If I drank, I'd get very little to eat to maintain my weight.

I don't find that specific foods (or sugars) hamper my weight loss as long as I keep my intake in check. However, I will say that the more sugars and simple carbs I eat, the worse my cravings become, which can then lead me to overeat.

ETA: If you look at your caloric burn from when you worked (train station walk and gym), at a minimum you were probably burning 500 extra calories per day. Drinking more alcohol each day probably also adds a minimum of 120 calories per day. That's a rough estimate of a 620 caloric/energy increase to you at least Mon-Friday. This doesn't even count in maybe you are eating a little more being at home all day.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:41 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
In March my office went remote due to the pandemic. I started working from home on March 11th.

We recently purchased an eliptical and a peloton. I basically had done no exercise other than short walks with kids and dog until 2 weeks ago. I have to say that with working from home and taking care of a 4 year old and 6 year all day (no school or camp over the summer) there's little time to go for walks. I couldnt join a gym because I don't feel comfortable doing that now with corona.

Life is pretty boring right now I guess you could say, but I'm so disgusted with myself. I'm at the point where I would be willing to be unhealthy to lose weight. I just can't stop myself from eating, a fast is out of the question. I think about food a lot, watch food videos lol. I envy skinny people who don't care much about food. I just see myself getting bigger and bigger if this doesn't stop. I'm hoping the elliptical helps out, but I've had it for two weeks and nothing has changed weight wise. I'm 42 years old, I guess I'll never be 120 again, but i was at that weight after having kids not terribly long ago. I'd be happy with being 130 right now.

My family has also made comments about my weight-husband, mother and father.
"Comments about your weight", how (not) charming. I'm ornery as an ogre when messed with, my comments to THEIR comments would be unprintable. And yes, that's exactly how I reply to smartass comments in my personal life that weren't asked-for. Not popular, or PC, but the passive-aggressive blue sky is so not okay around me. Anyway...

I'm no angel in terms of weight gain, so went for a more-permanent tool to resolve it some months ago after a year of preparation. I won't say "solution" as that needs to be holistic: diet, exercise. The weight gain you mentioned is a bow shot, a road you don't like going down. "Can't stop myself from eating" is a familiar refrain to me, too, so among other things I changed *what* I was eating to ensure it was more filling and satisfying. It hasn't been terribly difficult, but IS work. A desire to make permanent changes is necessary.

Guess you know how to resolve it. I'm resolving my own problem, and a problem it is for me for-sure, with my new tool (as they call it). No magic bullets, though: I think the bottom line, which might also be applicable here, is to not white-knuckle eating bird or rabbit-food equivalents (as I call it), but just eat right and be mindful of calories. MyFitnessPal is highly helpful in tracking what I'm consuming. And, I've fit exercise back into my routine, about an hour of focussed time/day 5 days/week. Weekdays in my case seem to to work. I have a gorgeous treadmill in my exercise room, which I use often now that the weather is turning.

If I had little ones running around, that exercise time would surely be harder, so not sure how to handle that. My solutions are non-starters, probably, as private time with kids running around just doesn't happen.

Also: Visit a nutritional doctor (ND), mine is caring and caters mostly to women. I march in and blow her mind monthly as a plain-spoken man, but we understand one another well now. She's not too expensive, and definitely necessary in terms of valuable counsel.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:50 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
(snip)

My family has also made comments about my weight-husband, mother and father.
Shame on them!

Good luck to you. I know that you can do it!

Old 10-28-2020, 11:09 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,942 times
I'd agree about the alcohol. I can't lose weight if I'm drinking several times a week. Set a goal, maybe of not drinking until Thanksgiving. Once you get into a routine of having that nightly drink, it can be hard to stop. Eating takeout for a night doesn't do a number on me as much as having a 6-pack. So I guess that'd be my advice, set one main goal, no alcohol until Thanksgiving.

Don't take the weight loss pills for goodness sakes. Drink some black tea, or even coffee. Caffeine can be an appetite suppressant and those pills put an obscene amount of caffeine in them, so much so that it typically causes nausea and then you don't want to eat. Not exactly the healthiest way to avoid eating.

Don't reduce how much you eat, just eat healthier, and don't weigh yourself or drink alcohol until Thanksgiving.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:50 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,233,962 times
thanks these are helpful tips! I have found coffee doesn't suppress my appetite either. I will try to cut out the alcohol, it's not worth it.

My mother has made comments about my weight since high school. Senior year i put on some weight, then again in college. Anytime I put on weight she brings it up. So does my dad. I guess i shouldnt be surprised I ended up with a husband who is critical of it as well. He has said before that if i get to 150 he's leaving. I think he's kidding and wouldnt actually leave but it's meant to be my incentive to stay thin or something. 150 isn't that far away! I was about 142 this morning.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:07 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
I wish you the best of luck. I know the struggle is real.

While I have not gained, I have lost a lot of muscle tone due to being largely home bound and no longer using the gym. I did purchase an elliptical to keep the cardio going but much of my hard work - two years worth - is gone. Please keep in mind that I was a die hard gymophile who weight trained an hour or more four times a week. I had beat back the hands of time.
That makes me more sad than gaining weight tbh. I really love bodybuilding but not having access to the superior machines, free weights, and everything else....well that hurts and now I'm just "regular"...

Old 10-28-2020, 10:51 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,441 times
I hear you. I gained 12 pounds since March. MANY people have gained weight. Our lives have been upended, we are grappling with everything from the irritation of being cooped up to job loss to grieving the loss of loved ones, and there is precious little certainty in our world.

With all of that, beating ourselves up is harmful and counterproductive to our mental health.

Try not to stress about it. Stress hormones make it harder to lose weight.

Make sure you are getting enough sleep. That will help a lot.

Also, if your family's comments bother you, speak up. Tell them that while you appreciate their concern, you are aware of your own body and their comments are not helpful. Say it however you wish, but say it because truly, it is rude and hurtful to comment on other people's bodies this way. We all have enough to worry about and handle these days without others passing judgment on us and causing further problems. This is the time when we all need to support each other, be kind, and remember what is truly important.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:13 PM

43 posts, read 61,916 times
When my sister's kids were little she used to encourage them to "workout" with her. She put in an exercise video and tried to make it fun for the kids. The kids used the hand weights that she made them and she used her own weights. It wasn't a strenuous workout, but it did get her heart rate up and started the kids on a healthy path. You may need to get up earlier to get in an elliptical workout before the rest of the family wakes up. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2020, 02:38 AM

13,277 posts, read 7,326,738 times
Quote:
Thanks all. I really think alcohol is what I need to give up, at least during the week. I feel better when I dont drink it. I almost wonder if I'm an alcoholic at this point. Last night I didnt even WANT the damn vodka and lemonade but I had it anyways. I had some cheese and crackers, didnt go too overboard, but I'd already had a filling dinner.

I NEVER used to keep alcohol in the house, i barely drank ever! My DH last march brought alcohol into the house and i was like yay this is great. So much cheaper than getting a drink at a restaurant. It really seems to be messing up my life though.
If you can quit the drinking that will help I have dealt with someone in my family who is an alcoholic. That person also would say same as you said "So much cheaper to drink at home". When you find 1 LT of rum in the dryer, under the bathroom sink, behind the hamper in the closet it's gone way too far. That was 25 years ago that person has passed on because of the drinking she refused to get help.

The problem is alcohol is a depressant it will bring up all the bad things in your life amplify them. People who eat to feel better when depressed will tend to eat lot of bad food when drinking not thinking straight. If you can't go more then a week without drinking you need to seek help ASAP before gets worse becomes even more difficult to give it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss