Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2021, 01:03 PM

22,060 posts, read 13,071,876 times

Advertisements

I've been reading about keto and fasting...or keto versus fasting...and keto versus fasting versus reducing calories...and I'm not understanding why one results in the body saying, "Oh, no; I'm starving!" and dropping the metabolic rate while another (or the others) supposedly doesn't (or don't).

Intermittent or alternate day fasting also means fewer calories in (unless you consume twice as much as normal the rest of that day or the other day), so why wouldn't your body have the same "Oh, no!" moment it does when you simply reduce calories EVERY day?

I can see in an extended fast -- after all, that's how actual starving people lose weight -- but few people do that, nor do I think it's particularly recommended.

Can anyone clear this up for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 06:55 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,758,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've been reading about keto and fasting...or keto versus fasting...and keto versus fasting versus reducing calories...and I'm not understanding why one results in the body saying, "Oh, no; I'm starving!" and dropping the metabolic rate while another (or the others) supposedly doesn't (or don't).

Intermittent or alternate day fasting also means fewer calories in (unless you consume twice as much as normal the rest of that day or the other day), so why wouldn't your body have the same "Oh, no!" moment it does when you simply reduce calories EVERY day?

I can see in an extended fast -- after all, that's how actual starving people lose weight -- but few people do that, nor do I think it's particularly recommended.

Can anyone clear this up for me?
I think you have a lot of confusion. The body doesn't understand calorie there's no concept of it. When you are starving, that's your gut telling you it is craving or desiring a certain type of food based on what kind of diet you normally eat.

Say you are craving for sweets, that's because you usually eat sweets a lot and the gut bacteria colony is telling you it needs sweet. In order to defeat this craving, you must fast to kill off the bacteria colony that feeds sweet. That is why fasting is so important, it helps control the gut bacteria colony.

Focus on eating high fiber rich plant food that will feed different gut bacteria and you will not have sugar cravings after a period of fasting and eating more plants.

As for metabolic rate, that is simply how much calories your body can burn at rest. Don't bother with that, as long as you can sustain a long period of fasting you will begin to heal and fix your insulin craving problem.

The simplest idea of fasting is fixing insulin in your blood, the more insulin in the blood the more you crave for food. It is called insulin resistance when there is insulin in the blood even if you are not eating. A healthy person does not have insulin in the blood unless they eat foods then it triggers insulin. Having insulin resistance is what causes people to constantly crave for food and yet feeling deprived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss