Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 12:31 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times

Advertisements

Chips are fried in oil. Avocados are mostly fat. With a gram of fat having 9 calories versus 4 calories for protein or carbs, calorie density of fat is obviously higher.

Portion size. Been a long time but Chipotle's menu confirms what I remember. You get a big bag of chips (540 calories) and a small cup of guac (230 calories). Makes sense. Chips are cheap; guac isn't. Just eat an avocado and skip the chips. Or eat half the chips and toss the other half in the garbage. 540 calories of chips is a lot of chips if you're watching your calorie intake. On the other hand if you're trying to gain weight, chips and guac is great... not exactly clean but if you just want to put on weight most people will happily chow down on a bunch of chips and a small cup of guac and there you go, you've just added 770 calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 12:58 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
To be clear i didnt get the chips/guac from chipotle, lol. I had a bag of chips and half an avocado here at home.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:05 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think the guac and chips at chipotle has more cals and fat than a cheeseburger at McDonalds. MCD's gets the WORST rep but at this point why? Is going to the cheesecake factory and eating the factory burrito or avocado eggrolls any better? No it's not.

And often times cravings overtake common sense when it comes to food. If everyone had common sense when it came to food no one would be overweight. Food tastes good, it's comforting and I think it can be difficult for a lot of people to let this go. I know that I should be eating lettuce and grilled chicken...but I will be unfulfilled if that's what i live on. I know many people have tried to get to a place where they don't crave things like chips and guac...but i'm not there.
Chipotle is relatively good for fast food, aside from the sodium. But chips and guac is basically their version of fries. That and the chips only come in a large (540 calories vs 500 for a large fries at McD). Basically it's just ordering a large fries at McD and then going across the street to Chipotle and ordering a side of guac. Actually that sounds really good and now I want it.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:17 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Well I guess part of my point is whoever is measuring the fat/cal content are we sure it's even correct? I had prepared myself half an avocado, added salsa to it then had some chips with it. I googled to try and find fat/cal content in chips/guacamole and the one I kept coming across was the chipotle one. I am confident that what I had prepared was not 47 fat grams and 700 calories. I was just surprised. I could understand if there was also cheese and sour cream, I was like ok there's gotta be something else in there but nope. Just chips and guacamole from chipotle. I don't really like chipotle. There's been outbreaks of Norovirus at too many of them for me to even have an appetite for them.

And yes it is hard to lose weight. The foods I crave are bad.
That's 3/4 the chips. If you think about what a tortilla chip is...you take a sheet of carbohydrates, cut it up, and deep fry it. Their guac isn't worse than the guac you'd make at home (because their recipe is pretty simple for the guac.) If you open a bag of tortilla chips and count the serving size, you'd quickly see where it adds up compared to the serving of chips from Chipotle.

Quote:
I just feel like any of the foods i enjoy are bad....
That's because we're hardwired to enjoy foods that are dense in calories, be it fat or sugar or both. Historically, those that couldn't keep or gain weight were at something of a disadvantage when the neighboring tribe stole your herd or French army marched over your fields or the locusts ate the crop.

Old 03-17-2021, 03:07 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Hmm i would have thought fries would be worse than chips. They're typically dripping with oil, salty, starchy.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:58 AM

575 posts, read 338,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
And people wonder why they can’t lose weight. They think they are not eating a lot until they look at the packages and realize they are consuming 1,000 calories in one sitting.
Well, I am consuming 1,000 calories in one sitting, yet have lost 45 pounds in last ~5 months. From home-cooked meals. Very carefully chosen and combined to fit into 1,000 calories.

But the exact same meal, in a restaurant, would be easily 2,000 - 2,500 calories. I don't use any oil, cheese is an occasional treat and butter is treated the same.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:07 PM

575 posts, read 338,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I made chicken broccoli and cheese pasta last night. It was delicious, if a little underseasoned (i forgot until the end) but an extremely similar dish from Applebees is 1220 calories. Mine was 330 per serving and it was a good sized portion.
Yep. This is exactly the reason why the only place I will go eat at is a salad bar where I have full control over what I put on the plate.

I would intake more than a day worth of calories, yet leave the establishment hungry, if I now ate a standard portion in a restaurant. Just ridiculous.

And this is why I engineer my meals in Excel. I have about 10 different versions of oatmeal and dozens of meals, each having a good selection of nutrients.

Even at home, it's ridiculously easy to add one more thing and boom, 200 calories more! Hence Excel, where you can see it plain as a day and can't "forget".

Old 03-24-2021, 12:37 PM

68 posts, read 43,808 times
Are people still scared of eating fat? Fat doesn't make you fat. It's all the processed carbs we eat and don't burn off. Most of us would do well on a lower carb diet.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:00 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer48 View Post
Are people still scared of eating fat? Fat doesn't make you fat. It's all the processed carbs we eat and don't burn off. Most of us would do well on a lower carb diet.
They all burn off the same way. Its just that people over eat empty calorie carbs.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:49 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Hmm i would have thought fries would be worse than chips. They're typically dripping with oil, salty, starchy.
The bag seems bigger than the McD's french fry container. The fries and chips are made the same way; one is corn, the other is potatoes. Both are salty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss