Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2021, 05:48 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,421,963 times

Advertisements

I just bought this new book on my Kindle.

Very interesting (to me at least) on how humans use and burn calories and it reinforces once again that the gym
Does NOT cause weight loss.

Thoughts and opinions?

https://www.today.com/today/amp/tdna212045
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 07:04 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,230,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I just bought this new book on my Kindle.

Very interesting (to me at least) on how humans use and burn calories and it reinforces once again that the gym
Does NOT cause weight loss.

Thoughts and opinions?

https://www.today.com/today/amp/tdna212045
I agree that a gym does not cause weight loss. How could a building or machines cause weight loss?
However, exercising at a gym using its machines does facilitate weight loss.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I agree that a gym does not cause weight loss. How could a building or machines cause weight loss?
However, exercising at a gym using its machines does facilitate weight loss.
Yes, I agree if......

The way of eating (WOE) is very clean.....CICO is never accurate nor the total daily caloric intake but it can be "ballparked."

Old 03-18-2021, 11:49 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,250,513 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree if......

The way of eating (WOE) is very clean.....CICO is never accurate nor the total daily caloric intake but it can be "ballparked."
I have found CICO to accurate, consistent and effective. My daily exercise, about an hour a day burning probably around 240 calories has increased my weight loss every week over what it was with just calorie counting alone. Additionally not only do my clothes fit better, or more loose but my knees hurt less and I can run up and down the stairs in my house 5 times in a row without keeling over, which I could not do before I added some exercise.

I did read something interesting yesterday about exercise. When you lose weight your skin is obviously stretched. If you think of your skin as the wrapper around your body, loosing fat makes the wrapper lose. Muscle (from exercise) helps fill in the wrapper so you look and feel better. Even if it doesnt cause weightloss, as you cant outrun your fork, it definitely helps

Old 03-18-2021, 12:36 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,829,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I have found CICO to accurate, consistent and effective. My daily exercise, about an hour a day burning probably around 240 calories has increased my weight loss every week over what it was with just calorie counting alone. Additionally not only do my clothes fit better, or more loose but my knees hurt less and I can run up and down the stairs in my house 5 times in a row without keeling over, which I could not do before I added some exercise.

I did read something interesting yesterday about exercise. When you lose weight your skin is obviously stretched. If you think of your skin as the wrapper around your body, loosing fat makes the wrapper lose. Muscle (from exercise) helps fill in the wrapper so you look and feel better. Even if it doesnt cause weightloss, as you cant outrun your fork, it definitely helps
CICO is accurate for me as well. I use exercise as a weight stabilizer. Since I stay at relatively same weight I can use exercise to either up the calorie burn or eat less, or both if my weight starts to creep up - hello quarantine!

Exercise is for overall health and well being. When combined with a diet it can expedite weight loss. I think we all pretty much know that you cannot do exercise alone and lose weight. I mean I thought that was common knowledge since.... pretty much forever.

Old 03-20-2021, 12:53 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,632,000 times
Tons of exercise can keep you from getting huge if you are eating terribly. But yeah, beyond that, basically a poor use of your time.

Many, MANY people use gobs of exercise to try and cover-up their awful eating-habits.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Tons of exercise can keep you from getting huge if you are eating terribly. But yeah, beyond that, basically a poor use of your time.

Many, MANY people use gobs of exercise to try and cover-up their awful eating-habits.
I don't think exercise is ever a poor use of time. In fact it is one of the best things we can do for ourselves regardless of diet.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

We can't out-train a bad diet.

I know first-hand, know many, and we have the data.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
We can't out-train a bad diet.

I know first-hand, know many, and we have the data.
No one is saying that. But exercise is a great way to enhance weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss