Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 02:04 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,814,676 times

Advertisements

I always have been curious what specific foods people eat to lose weight. I just don’t think I could give up carbs, especially foods like rice or pizza. However I find it difficult to lose weight without being hungry all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 07:36 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,301,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I always have been curious what specific foods people eat to lose weight. I just don’t think I could give up carbs, especially foods like rice or pizza. However I find it difficult to lose weight without being hungry all the time.

There's a whole thread on what we eat

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet...ily-basis.html

If you want pizza and rice more than weight loss, then you'll probably not have to worry about losing weight.

Its not that hard to cut back dramatically. I used to eat pasta-carb rich dishes almost every morning noon and night. I had pizza almost every weekend. But when I wanted to lose weight I went 2 months with no pizza, and now I have it about once a month. I have only eaten rice once, about 1/3 my previous normal serving, when I ordered Chinese. I discovered that when I do my own stir-frys, I don't need any rice at all and I actually stay full longer without it.

Carbs make me hungry for more carbs. Eating more fat and protein took its place, which helped me reduce my serving size when i do eat carbs.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:40 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,422,837 times
Portion size is everything. You can still foods like pizza and rice and lose weight, but you just can't eat as much, and you have to balance out the rest of your meal. A half cup of cooked brown rice topped with a lot of vegetables and lean protein is a balanced meal. A piece of veggie pizza and a big salad works, too.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:11 AM

2,119 posts, read 1,463,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
How about riced cauliflower and crustless/keto crust/cauliflower crusted pizza you make yourself.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,593 posts, read 81,279,384 times
I have lost 12 pounds in the last two months. For breakfast on weekdays it's an instant oatmeal or Special K w/dried Strawberries. For lunch I use Killer Dave bread, one slice cut in half for a half sandwich, usually Italian Dry Salami, peanut butter and a little jam, or grilled cheese. For dinner I reduce the carbs by using either brown rice or making risotto with cauliflower rice. When we do have French fries, they are made in the air fryer. For dessert/sweets I read the box, and get ice cream bars that are Keto or at least low calorie like Skinny Cow. If someone makes cookies or brownies I'll have smaller portions, like 1 cookie instead of 6.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:52 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,426,800 times
From late 2019 into late 2020, I lost 10 pounds. Here's how I did it:

I ate something for breakfast almost every day. Sometimes it was oatmeal (1/3 cup quick oats, 2/3 cup water, 1 teaspoon butter, palmful of raisins, 1 heaping teaspoon packed dark brown sugar, nuked). Sometimes it was an egg (whole-egg omelet with a healthy pinch of shredded sharp cheddar, sometimes sauteed onions and mushrooms, pinch of salt and pepper). Sometimes it was just a slice of whole-grain wheat toast with butter. And sometimes it was leftover supper from the night before.

For lunch, I ate whatever I had time to eat. I typically got a 15 minute break, sometimes it was an hour but I couldn't go home to make it. Usually what I ate was a frozen entree heated in the microwave in the breakroom. Devour buffalo chicken macaroni and cheese was a favorite.

For dinner, it was pretty much whatever I wanted. I might make shrimp scampi, meatloaf, mac & meatballs, a sandwich, a huge salad with feta and tahini dressing and calamata olives and walnuts, or whatever else. Almost always heavy on the carbs, except for the salads.

I also had snacks - sometimes a granola bar, sometimes chocolate cake with fudge frosting. It depended on where I was at the time I wanted one.

But Ghaati, you might ask, how did you manage to lose 10 pounds eating all that food?

My answer is simple:
My job required me to be standing up and moving for the entire shift. I wasn't allowed to sit down except on my break, and sometimes I didn't get a break. During the average 5-hour shift cleaning and sanitizing shopping carts, or bringing carts in from the parking lot, I took approximately 18,000 steps. To compare: the minimum number of steps recommended according to my fitness app, if you simply want to be a human being physically capable of moving on your own two feet is 6000 per day. The average person will move approximately 3000 per day just by out of bed and living their lives, with no conscious effort made to walking at all. I averaged 3 times the minimum in a 5-hour shift. I ALSO walked that average 3000 per day that everyone steps, as long as they're physically capable of doing so.

In short, the food I was eating, wasn't enough to maintain my current weight, given the amount of exercise I was doing. And so the weight came off.

I'm retired now, and have gained it all back. I need to exercise more.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:36 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
What I did not eat was fast food, prepackaged food that contained tons of ingredients, sugary baked goods, candy...

Old 04-29-2021, 10:27 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,408,655 times
You can eat anything and lose weight. You just need to be in a caloric deficit. But for long term success you just need to stick to whole foods, vegetables, fruits etc.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:39 AM

11,528 posts, read 6,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Portion size is everything. You can still foods like pizza and rice and lose weight, but you just can't eat as much, and you have to balance out the rest of your meal. A half cup of cooked brown rice topped with a lot of vegetables and lean protein is a balanced meal. A piece of veggie pizza and a big salad works, too.
Portion size. There is my struggle. My 60-year old brain just refuses to believe That my body doesn’t need 21-year old portions anymore. Old habits die hard, especially 40-year old habits.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:53 PM

18 posts, read 22,445 times
This is what I eat to lose weight.

hahaha

On a serious note, I just count calories and eat things that I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss