Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 02:25 PM

9 posts, read 6,718 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this sub-forum so here are my stats as requested by the sticky post:

46 years old
6' 2"
285 lbs
Male

Target Goals:
-200 lbs (or anything under 200 lbs)
-More energy
-No timeframe, though would love to do it in a year.

Started OMAD last year (IF prescribed by doctor), but slipped back into old habits again, gained about 30 lbs back.

I was having pretty good success by doing OMAD combined with walking 1 hour a day for the first half of winter. Unfortunately I couldn't stand the bad weather any longer and with summer coming the increase of people on the trails is a problem for me, so I stopped walking altogether.

I am severely people avoidant. I do not like to walk on regular streets as this makes me very uncomfortable; I get the feeling as if everyone is watching me. Paranoid personality (I would assume). I get uncomfortable just passing people on a trail.

But, I live in the Pacific Northwest, in a small coastal town and own property on a lake where I have a remote camp. It takes an hour and 1/2 paddle in my kayak to get there, and I can spend a lot of time there during the week. While at the camp I can do a lot of rowing, kayaking, hiking in the woods (hundreds of acres of private timber property = no people), cutting firewood, gardening, etc.

I do not take supplements, but I do have significant health issues. A few years ago I had a heart attack and had a stent placed. I have since recovered, but my ejection fraction is 40. I am Type 2 Diabetic (since 2010) and currently take blood thinners, blood pressure medication, cholesterol, blood sugar medications, and a water pill for my heart.

Now, with all that said, here is my situation.

1. On the OMAD I quickly develop a terrible feeling, like a shift in my mental state. Often depressed, moody, no energy, etc. Not sure if this is just hunger or food obsession, or if I've been self medicating with junk food most of my life, but I tend to cave and can easily talk myself into Fast food, especially if I'm in town. This typically ends with eating way too much too often and blowing the OMAD right out of the water. I usually eat the OMAD meal at lunch time. But by evening I'm craving more. My 1 meal choice is typically tacos (made at home not fast food) as it does not seem to impact my sugar levels.

2. But, on OMAD I also struggle to do the activities listed above, especially while I'm at my camp. Just moving around seems to hurt, and causes me to breath heavy, and I feel like I physically can't do anything, and want to rest all the time. I'm thinking when I stopped walking this winter that threw me way out of shape and I just need to get back into daily activities again. Strangely, if I'm in a seated position I can do anything without issue. I can Kayak all day long without issue. I can row as well without too much bother. But hiking for any length of time, especially up hill kills my energy levels almost immediately, so does general labor (building, cutting firewood, etc). Am I just out of shape or is it possibly something else? I recently purchased a rowing machine for my house to replace walking, especially in the winter during bad weather. I plan to do 1 hour a day of rowing when at home.

Those are the two big issues. Cravings (how to combat fast breaking) and having no energy while on OMAD. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or how I could improve these two areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 06:15 AM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
I also get VERY obsessed with food when I do OMAD.....it is not a good, healthy feeling for me.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:34 AM

9 posts, read 6,718 times
Default How to Combat that Feeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I also get VERY obsessed with food when I do OMAD.....it is not a good, healthy feeling for me.
Any ideas on how to combat that obsessed feeling? Alternatives to OMAD?

I do not seem to struggle nearly as much on my work days and don't eat all day. I realized I chew gum throughout the day. I'm thinking of trying that on my days off, too. Or maybe start chewing a piece of gum whenever the obsession is noticeable.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:33 AM

307 posts, read 213,807 times
Maybe you should try IF while limiting carb intake to see if that helps.

Old 07-12-2021, 05:23 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,614,129 times
So I just finished my first ever 36 hour fast. Went the entire day yesterday without eating. I was feeling hungry around 8:30 PM but nothing that I couldn’t handle. plus, I thought to myself well heck I’m gonna go to bed around 930 might as well just skip dinner today. So what was sort of planned as a 24 hour OMAD became a 36 hour fast.

How did I do it? A couple things helped.

First off, I ate a lot the day before. The day before started off as a normal day eating mostly healthy low-carb stuff. But by late afternoon I was feeling starving and really craving things I generally don’t eat. Ended up eating far more than my normal calorie intake. Even had a Vente caramel Frappuccino. An item that is basically on my don’t have more than once or twice a year list.

Second off, I kept myself busy the next day and really worked my butt off doing a lot of yardwork and then even following that up with going to the gym. I find that physical activity can sometimes reduce my appetite.

I observed some dramatic weight swings on the scale over the weekend.

Saturday a.m. 171.0 pounds
Saturday p.m. 175.4 pounds
Sunday p.m. 169.4 pounds
Monday a.m. 167.8 pounds

Old 07-13-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1239 View Post
Any ideas on how to combat that obsessed feeling? Alternatives to OMAD?

I do not seem to struggle nearly as much on my work days and don't eat all day. I realized I chew gum throughout the day. I'm thinking of trying that on my days off, too. Or maybe start chewing a piece of gum whenever the obsession is noticeable.

Well, for me, I only get badly obsessed with food when I try and eat only once a day.

So, my solution, I just do not do OMAD.......I eat 3 meals a day.

I am currently doing 18/6 and it works quite well for me.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:48 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,777,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, for me, I only get badly obsessed with food when I try and eat only once a day.

So, my solution, I just do not do OMAD.......I eat 3 meals a day.

I am currently doing 18/6 and it works quite well for me.
Do you eat 3 meals in the 6 hour window? I have been doing 18/6 too, but with 2 meals a day. I am thinking of eating 3 meals instead of 2 to reduce to serving size of each meal. I find that one large meal is a lot of food to eat and it makes my belly balloon up.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:44 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
OP,

You really need to correct your systems to get down to a healthy weight, blood sugar, triglyceriedes , etc. I was very unhealthy and followed the advice of Dr. Gundry after reading The Plant Paradox which I would suggest you do. I lost 55 lbs, got my blood sugar back to normal, BP great, etc....everything went from bad to excellent.

Or you could just go with a healthy keto diet combined with either OMAD or IF of 18 hours/day. Fast food and junk food have to be forsaken.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Do you eat 3 meals in the 6 hour window? I have been doing 18/6 too, but with 2 meals a day. I am thinking of eating 3 meals instead of 2 to reduce to serving size of each meal. I find that one large meal is a lot of food to eat and it makes my belly balloon up.

Yeah, I do eat 3 meals and it seems to work great.

For me personally, after going 18-hours with no food....my digestive-system seems to want food and processes what I eat very quickly. I also eat a lot of eggs, they seem to be in and out of my guts in less
than two hours.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:17 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
I dunno, I'm not a nutritionist, but I think OMAD would not keep your blood glucose on an even keel...I think eating 3 smaller meals (low carbs, higher in good fats) combined with healthy snacks (nuts, etc.) works well for many of us. Low glucose can make one shaky and out of sorts...

Once I eliminated breads, cookies, crackers, rolls and other processed white carbs, rice and most potatoes (especially chips and French Fries), my weight started falling, my mood picked up, my GI issues cleared up and my energy soared.

Starchy process white carbs combined with sugar are not necessary for our good health or weight. Low in nutrients and lead to obesity, metabolic syndrome...and diabetes and heart issues.

Added treadmill walking at the gym, so no excuses on weather to skip exercising.

I don't obsess over food. My sweet tooth is satisfied with one small square of dark chocolate.

Oh, and I also cut my daily wine imbibing to once or twice a week. Lots of sugar in wine. And beer? Forget about it--liquid carbs; quite fattening.

Now, everyone is different, but I do think keeping one's blood glucose evened out through the day prevents binge eating and food obsession. When you're not eating but one meal a day, you tend to think about food all the time...

I find nutrition fascinating and have read widely on the issue and have started practicing the most convincing (science-backed) and sustainable eating plan that I can stick with. Fad ways of eating are doomed to failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss