Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 01:21 PM

874 posts, read 3,678,727 times

Advertisements

I need help! I made a doctor's appointment for this Friday but in the meanwhile, I figure I'd get some feedback if you have experienced this or knows someone who has.

I have never struggled with my weight, with the exception of weight gain during my pregnancy which I was able to shed within months. Then about 2 years ago I was diagnosed with a lung disease where I had to take low dosage of steroids and put on about 20lbs. Once my doctor weaned me off the meds, I lost the weight. But now, I have put on 13 lbs in about 1 mnth !! This has never happened to me before in life. What could be the cause of this rapid weight gain? This is horrible. I can't fit into anything and I am constantly out of breath. I also eat pretty healthy and workout..it just seems as though my metabolism is on a serious halt!!

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 01:30 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Your thyroid might be misbehaving - a friend of mine had Graves Disease which led her to gain weight, but an underactive thyroid can do the same.

A doctor's visit I think....

best of luck!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:36 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
that much in one month most likely is water, not fat. If so, the reason why you are retaining that much fluid needs to be determined quickly. It could be some sort of rebound reaction from the steroid treatment. It could be something more serious. See your doctor and let us know.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:42 PM

874 posts, read 3,678,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
that much in one month most likely is water, not fat. If so, the reason why you are retaining that much fluid needs to be determined quickly. It could be some sort of rebound reaction from the steroid treatment. It could be something more serious. See your doctor and let us know.
I'll be sure to do so. I also started taking blood pressure medicine. That can be a definite cause as well.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:12 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Rapid weight gain can be really anything, heart/kidney disorder, hypothyrodism, aging, eating a lot and not exercising. Polycystic ovary syndrome also can cause weight gain.

In your case, it is very possible that your new medication could be contributing. Did you doctor say anything regarding side effects of this med?

What other symptoms are you experiencing besides wieght gain? I'm thinking with thyroid there will a lot of other sympoms, such as hair loss, feeling tired all the time, fatigue, moody attitude, etc.

I would contact your doctor again to see what he/she think regarding that new medication you're taking.
Good luck!

Old 05-13-2008, 03:42 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
The steroids may have messed with your hormone levels and that's why the weight gain. Hormones play a huge role in weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss