Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 09:48 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,537,409 times

Advertisements

^Where do you live?
It's a little early for apples, except for some crabs and transparents. Early Peaches should be coming on now.

"If these fruits are so healthy, why didn't these animals evolve to eat them?"
Because they are wormy?
We always had enough fruit where the wildlife could get their share , or that we were faster in getting the fruit picked before that got that acquired taste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 10:44 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,796,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
^Where do you live?
It's a little early for apples, except for some crabs and transparents. Early Peaches should be coming on now.

"If these fruits are so healthy, why didn't these animals evolve to eat them?"
Because they are wormy?
We always had enough fruit where the wildlife could get their share , or that we were faster in getting the fruit picked before that got that acquired taste
Sacramento, CA. I walk by hundred of these fallen fruits everyday. They just lay there. In the past, I would have picked up a few off the trees. These day I don't have sweet cravings anymore.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:34 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,064,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
On my daily walk, I see many apple and peach trees with fallen fruits around them. No animals eat these things. Cats don't eat them. Dogs don't eat them. Birds don't eat them. If these fruits are so healthy, why didn't these animals evolve to eat them?
Because they are carnivorous? Dogs sometimes eat grass, do you?

Old 08-01-2021, 04:34 PM

41,984 posts, read 75,262,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
On my daily walk, I see many apple and peach trees with fallen fruits around them. No animals eat these things. Cats don't eat them. Dogs don't eat them. Birds don't eat them. If these fruits are so healthy, why didn't these animals evolve to eat them?
Uh ... there are more living beings in this world beyond cats, dogs and birds. Some birds eat fruit, some do not. Cats are obligate carnivores (look it up). Dogs eat meat, among other things.

There are animals and insects that will eat spoiled fruit from the ground, but even all fruit eaters will not eat fallen fruit.

Humans may or may not eat fallen fruit, depending on preference, level of hunger, and tolerance.

None of this means the fruit is not nutritious.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:51 PM

21,871 posts, read 25,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Because they are carnivorous? Dogs sometimes eat grass, do you?
More likely because there just aren't many animals. Got racoons? They used to climb up in the tree and eat half a peach. Nobody eats the lemons but peaches were fair game and cherries, don't even get me started on birds eating all the cherries.

Depending on location in Sacramento though, not gonna be much wildlife. We were backed up on the American River. Where I'm at now there's racoons and possum, rarely a coyote. There's deer out on the edge of town but they don't come in this far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss