Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 07:51 PM

3,118 posts, read 1,007,936 times

Advertisements

I try to get rid of dairy too, I don't know why but I find this very very difficult to do. I'm doing my best not to eat any of it but still...sometimes I have a piece of hard cheese. I try to eat goat cheese instead.

I feel for the original poster. I suffered from back pain for decades. I'm doing much better now with diet, yoga/stretching and meditation.

I also try to transition towards a more vegan diet. I have meat less and less often, maybe twice a week and only chicken/turkey or fish.

It's not easy to make these changes. Especially when other people in the house have a different diet than mine.

All the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 09:44 AM

75 posts, read 65,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Has anyone followed this diet for any length of time, and had good results? I have a pretty bad case of bursitis that is not responding to treatment. I'm thinking I need to eat fewer inflammatory food items. Even follow a structured diet. Thanks in advance. P.S. I don't really care about weight loss, just the anti-inflammatory issues.
pathrunner,

While I’ve not followed this diet specifically, for the last few years I’ve gotten rid of many inflammatory foods and the results have been incredible. Not only did it help me sleep better but my allergies cleared up significantly, and my energy levels increased (I used to be drained midday most days). I’ve known people whose joint pain has improved significantly from removing inflammatory foods as well.

However, I’ve found much of my results came from removing many grains (such as oats, whole wheat, brown rice) from my diet as well (which it looks like grains are part of the anti-inflammatory diet). I’ve not going to say everyone should do this but it could be worth experimenting with if the anti-inflammatory diet is not enough.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:45 PM

382 posts, read 365,451 times
m on a lifelong anti-inflammatory diet for health reasons. I'm about 80% compliant.

Here's what is recommended by the experts
1. Eliminating red meat as well as processed meats (i.e. deli meats, bacon, etc.)
2. Eliminating highly processed foods (i.e. frozen dinners)
3. Dairy intake to include mininally processsed cheese bricks/logs (not yellow), cage free eggs, organic butter, and some unsweetened yogurt. One or two vegan meals per day is recommended.
4. No Sugar (i.e. pastries, cakes, cookies, etc.). Can have raw organic sugar or pure maple syrup in extreme moderation.
5. Eliminate seed oils
6. Eliminate alcohol use
7. No white anything (bread, pasta, bagels, crackers, etc.)
8. No food additives (MSG) or artifical anything
9. No Fried food

Old 03-08-2022, 05:02 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Has anyone followed this diet for any length of time, and had good results? I have a pretty bad case of bursitis that is not responding to treatment. I'm thinking I need to eat fewer inflammatory food items. Even follow a structured diet. Thanks in advance. P.S. I don't really care about weight loss, just the anti-inflammatory issues.
Got it, but as my nutritional doctor (ND) pointed out in her implacably logical way: with weight loss and overall fitness often comes reduction in inflammation. But understand my viewpoint first, if-applies to your situation:

I had a severe weight problem; bummer and I made my choices that got me there. Similar set of choices made to bail myself out of trouble. I took radical steps 19 months ago and I've lost 180 lbs, now at normal weight for a 5'10" guy and stable six months. My ND pointed out inflammatory markers in my blood work during baseline couple years ago (2018 and 2019). Diet is paleo and keto selections from a pre-made meal service the past 13 months or so w/great consistency. Meal services are not everyone's cup of tea but totally work for my bachelor ways: structure, something also mentioned in the quoted.

Since I'm 1) normal weight (now), 2) exercise regularly 3) eat right, paleo and keto entrées because I enjoy them. 1), 2), 3) are counter-inflammatory. Is that helpful to your inquiry, I'm not into cooking so outsourced the matter.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:07 PM

11,032 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
m on a lifelong anti-inflammatory diet for health reasons. I'm about 80% compliant.

Here's what is recommended by the experts
1. Eliminating red meat as well as processed meats (i.e. deli meats, bacon, etc.)
2. Eliminating highly processed foods (i.e. frozen dinners)
3. Dairy intake to include minimally processed cheese bricks/logs (not yellow), cage free eggs, organic butter, and some unsweetened yogurt. One or two vegan meals per day is recommended.
4. No Sugar (i.e. pastries, cakes, cookies, etc.). Can have raw organic sugar or pure maple syrup in extreme moderation.
5. Eliminate seed oils
6. Eliminate alcohol use
7. No white anything (bread, pasta, bagels, crackers, etc.)
8. No food additives (MSG) or artificial anything
9. No Fried food
I am impressed. I don't think I could do that. I do try to reduce most of these items, and I do think it has helped.

I buy cage free free range eggs, organic butter and unsweetened yogurt (I really like the Chobani brand). Thank you for the list, it helps me for referral, and am sure it will help others.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:10 PM

11,032 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Got it, but as my nutritional doctor (ND) pointed out in her implacably logical way: with weight loss and overall fitness often comes reduction in inflammation. But understand my viewpoint first, if-applies to your situation:

I had a severe weight problem; bummer and I made my choices that got me there. Similar set of choices made to bail myself out of trouble. I took radical steps 19 months ago and I've lost 180 lbs, now at normal weight for a 5'10" guy and stable six months. My ND pointed out inflammatory markers in my blood work during baseline couple years ago (2018 and 2019). Diet is paleo and keto selections from a pre-made meal service the past 13 months or so w/great consistency. Meal services are not everyone's cup of tea but totally work for my bachelor ways: structure, something also mentioned in the quoted.

Since I'm 1) normal weight (now), 2) exercise regularly 3) eat right, paleo and keto entrées because I enjoy them. 1), 2), 3) are counter-inflammatory. Is that helpful to your inquiry, I'm not into cooking so outsourced the matter.
Thank you, that is helpful. I would really like to get those "inflammatory markers" in my blood work. I will ask my PCP next time I see him. I am curious about where I stand. I'm afraid it might not be that good. I'm wondering if a regular PCP can do this, or if I need to see an ND?

Kudos to you for your weight loss! That is truly remarkable and laudable. I'm sure you feel so much better. At some point I might try a pre-made meal service. It would depend upon cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss