Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 05:20 PM

49 posts, read 46,696 times

Advertisements

I currently weight 210 lbs. This is one of my highest weights in my lifetime. I used to weigh about 150 or less. I've been approved for Bariatric surgery and I am awaiting a surgery date. But, I am nervous. It is the sleeve I am supposed to have done.

I'm wondering should I just try to lose weight naturally? I was 219 and was able lose 9lbs on my own. I am a vegetarian but was not able to adhere to the meal plan myself and the dietician came up with consistently. Yet, I still lost some weight.

Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with Bariatric surgery? What might be something you wish you thought of beforehand?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 03:01 AM

49 posts, read 46,696 times
Default Is bariatric surgery a good idea?

I posted this in health and wellness then noticed this thread specifically about weight loss.

My current weight is 210. The highest was 219. I lost 9lbs on my own. My lowest weight in my lifetime was 106. Though prior to weight gain I used to average 160 to 180.

I have gone through the Bariatric pathway for the sleeve. Just awaiting a surgery date.

I am wondering if at my current weight should I just keep working to lose weight on my own. Or, might surgery still be beneficial. I suppose I ask because I was taking a medication that significantly contributed to much of my weight gain. Though doctors have remarked to me that I am not significantly overweight and don't have alot of weight to lose. But I still quality because of where my bmi falls.

Has anyone had any bad or positive experiences with Bariatric sleeve surgery or bypass? What's something you wish you knew beforehand?

Old 02-26-2022, 03:21 AM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
210 and approved for bariatric surgery?...Unless you're only 3 ft tall, I'd get another opinion.

Drastic surgery like this is full of common side effects and unwanted consequences. It usually is reserved for the morbidly obese, not the pleasingly plump....While it can provide miracle cures for many, it also has a dissappointing long term success rate for many others and ultimately not worth the risks.

I know weight probems can be very frustrating, and I don't have all the details of your particular situation, but my first impression is that this doesn't seem right.

Old 02-26-2022, 03:51 AM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
210 and approved for bariatric surgery?...Unless you're only 3 ft tall, I'd get another opinion.

Drastic surgery like this is full of common side effects and unwanted consequences. It usually is reserved for the morbidly obese, not the pleasingly plump....While it can provide miracle cures for many, it also has a dissappointing long term success rate for many others and ultimately not worth the risks.

I know weight problems can be very frustrating, and I don't have all the details of your particular situation, but my first impression is that this doesn't seem right.
ITA...You do not seem to be so overweight that such a drastic intervention would be warranted. Try losing it by yourself first, find a plan you can stick to for life. No fad diets, & add in some gentle exercise such as walking.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:36 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
I would continue to lose weight on your own, it will be much healthier for you. Fifty pounds is not that much. Surgery is going to affect you for the rest of your life.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:44 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
[quote=guidoLaMoto;62974747]

/QUOTE]

To piggyback on guido's comments above (which I didn't quote capture correctly), my mother was obese much of her adult life and had gastric bypass surgery back 1993-94 (I think it was the band, not the more extensive bypass). She had to prep for something like a year prior to her surgery being approved by the hospital that did it- psychological testing, patient education, group meetings etc.

Her results were initially good and she looked and felt amazing, but within a few years, she had gained most of her weight back. The surgery can be a lifesaver for many, but for many others, it cannot, and will not, get to the root of the issues that cause morbid obesity to begin with.

Old 02-26-2022, 09:06 AM

761 posts, read 446,549 times
In a book written by a hospital surgeon who did many of those surgeries, he said after about 3 years those who got the surgery gained back the weight.

The real work that needs to be done is not the work of the surgeon, but the mental and emotional work of the patient.

Old 02-26-2022, 11:55 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
In a book written by a hospital surgeon who did many of those surgeries, he said after about 3 years those who got the surgery gained back the weight.

The real work that needs to be done is not the work of the surgeon, but the mental and emotional work of the patient.
It's because they have tweaked the surgery over the years. In the past, bariatric patients lost tons of weight and most kept it off. Now the surgery is a lot less intrusive and the effects are also less, with patients gaining back some if not all of the weight.

Weight loss is a mental battle.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:22 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,361 times
The surgery can also cause stomach issues long term. It's not without risk.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:46 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's because they have tweaked the surgery over the years. In the past, bariatric patients lost tons of weight and most kept it off. Now the surgery is a lot less intrusive and the effects are also less, with patients gaining back some if not all of the weight.

Weight loss is a mental battle.
Oh man. How on earth do they gain the weight back with that teensy stomach now? Then to live the rest of your life STILL obese, but now with a barely-functional stomach?

I certainly would rethink this, OP. So drastic for non-morbid-obesity. Surprised a surgeon is agreeing to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss