Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 02:29 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,046,586 times

Advertisements

So what is "ideal weight". It used to be considered that it was 100 pounds for the first 5 feet and 5 pounds for every inch above that. As I am 5'4" my ideal weight should be 120.

I'm 130, my BMI is 22.3 and I don't worry about it except to weigh myself a couple times a week and keep track or what I'm eating as I don't want to go above my present weight.

When I lost a few pounds last year, my goal was 10 pounds above that supposed ideal. That's where I am and I guess it's a good a measure as any in determining whether I am at a healthy weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2023, 02:53 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
So what is "ideal weight". It used to be considered that it was 100 pounds for the first 5 feet and 5 pounds for every inch above that. As I am 5'4" my ideal weight should be 120.

I'm 130, my BMI is 22.3 and I don't worry about it except to weigh myself a couple times a week and keep track or what I'm eating as I don't want to go above my present weight.

When I lost a few pounds last year, my goal was 10 pounds above that supposed ideal. That's where I am and I guess it's a good a measure as any in determining whether I am at a healthy weight.
There is no "ideal" weight. It's a fantasy, a myth.

There is a RANGE - and within that range, is considered "neither unhealthily under or over weight." You can be at the lowest weight in that range, or the highest. And if there is no other medical problem that might require a different weight to be healthy - then you're fine.

If the range is 100-120 pounds, and you're 100 pounds, and you WERE 120 pounds just a month ago and you've been dieting trying to lose weight, AND you're not feeling well, AND you're still dieting, then - you have a problem.

If you were at 110, and a month later you're at 120, and feeling depressed, your muscles hurt, you're wheezing, and you've been craving cakes, candies, and other sugary desserts - then there's something wrong. The weight would be a symptom of that problem, not the cause of it.

If, on the other hand, your "range" should be between 100 and 120, and you're at 195, and feeling depressed, your muscles hurt, you're wheezing, and you're craving all that sugary stuff - then there is something wrong and the weight MIGHT be causing the problem. You still need to talk to a doctor about it.

Old 06-19-2023, 07:30 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
From what I've been reading, it seems having visceral abdominal fat--now known as Metabolic Syndrome, used to be called called Syndrome X--is a big warning indicator of current--or future--potential health issues--

--leading to such diseases as diabetes and/or heart issues. https://www.webmd.com/heart/metaboli...me/default.htm

So our scale /BMI weight can be less or more harmful depending on where it's stored as fat on our body.

An Apple Shape is not desirable.

And yes, we can be "skinny-fat" and have a great BMI but still carry too much internal abdominal fat. https://www.womenshealthmag.com/heal...is-skinny-fat/

It's complicated if we look beyond the cosmetic appeal of being at a good BMI--and how healthy we really are.
I agree that the visceral belly fat is the key. If your extra pounds are in your belly you may want to make the effort to lose the weight.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:51 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post

You're probably just fine.

It can be illuminating to look in a full length mirror while naked to take stock of how much fat we have.

There is no good reason to put on weight in older years. If a person remains active their healthy weight should not fluctuate much at all through adulthood.

Old 06-19-2023, 09:29 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
You're probably just fine.

It can be illuminating to look in a full length mirror while naked to take stock of how much fat we have.

There is no good reason to put on weight in older years. If a person remains active their healthy weight should not fluctuate much at all through adulthood.
I'm guessing from context that you are a man? This thread asks about weight in older women, and it's not really true that all a woman needs to do is stay active and her weight won't fluctuate. Pregnancy and childbirth and (peri)menopause can do a number on a woman's body. Women's metabolism is different. Women carry weight differently than men. Which is not to say that women have a free pass to pack on the pounds, but it's not as easy as "just give up soda!" My parents used to give up snacks and sweets for Lent, and almost every year, my dad would drop 20ish pounds while my mom might lose 5-10. It's why a lot of the newer diet and exercise recommendations prioritize engaging in healthy behavior even if a lot of weight isn't lost over the old school "starve yourself so you can still fit into your prom dress" nonsense.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-19-2023 at 09:43 AM..

Old 06-19-2023, 10:06 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm guessing from context that you are a man? This thread asks about weight in older women, and it's not really true that all a woman needs to do is stay active and her weight won't fluctuate. Pregnancy and childbirth and (peri)menopause can do a number on a woman's body. Women's metabolism is different. Women carry weight differently than men. Which is not to say that women have a free pass to pack on the pounds, but it's not as easy as "just give up soda!" My parents used to give up snacks and sweets for Lent, and almost every year, my dad would drop 20ish pounds while my mom might lose 5-10. It's why a lot of the newer diet and exercise recommendations prioritize engaging in healthy behavior even if a lot of weight isn't lost over the old school "starve yourself so you can still fit into your prom dress" nonsense.
Yes, I understand it's a more complex process for women.

Nevertheless, my wife is 67 and she didn't gain any permanent weight from a pregnancy 25 years ago or via menopause. Neither have two of her best female friends in their sixties. They were all relatively lean as young adults and have stayed that way.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:07 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Yes, I understand it's a more complex process for women.

Nevertheless, my wife is 67 and she didn't gain any permanent weight from a pregnancy 25 years ago or via menopause. Neither have two of her best female friends in their sixties. They were all relatively lean as young adults and have stayed that way.
They had to change their diet and behavior in order to do that. Menopause changes HOW your body processes nutrients, it changes your entire metabolism. Men don't have that particular phenomenon, women do.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:16 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Yes and before someone comes on and says something about weight gain in older men, lower testosterone has a direct correlation to a huge belly in men along with poor eating habits.

Old 06-20-2023, 09:50 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,204,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
They had to change their diet and behavior in order to do that. Menopause changes HOW your body processes nutrients, it changes your entire metabolism. Men don't have that particular phenomenon, women do.

Uh isn't growing older about adjusting to a lot of things? Should we not try because we have to adjust? I'm sincerely confused.

Old 06-21-2023, 10:14 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,204,879 times
This isn't the greatest article but I thought it was amusing that it came up in a feed for me today.

Article: BMI Vastly Underestimates True Obesity

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/993366
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss