Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 08:15 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
My endocrinologist recently put me on a very low calorie diet (600-800 cals per day) with an increase in my dose of Ozempic in an effort to bring my blood glucose down. I've been following the diet as prescribed but I can't get the Ozempic and my BG's have not gone down. It's a bit frustrating. I see him again mid-November and I guess we'll figure something out. Ozempic and medications like it are much preferable than insulin for those who don't need insulin.
Your doctor is controlling regarding medical decisions of course. Victoza behaves similarly, and is covered by many insurance plans, the dose permitted may not attain the same result of Ozempic, but the behavior is somewhat similar. Speak with your doctor, maybe Victoza is permitted (note this is a controlled substance, I am not giving medical advice, just suggesting you speak with your doctor to see if this could be helpful to you).

IMO aside from very high insulin levels, it is preferable to use non-insulin medications (but this is my lay, non medical opinion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 08:28 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Your doctor is controlling regarding medical decisions of course. Victoza behaves similarly, and is covered by many insurance plans, the dose permitted may not attain the same result of Ozempic, but the behavior is somewhat similar. Speak with your doctor, maybe Victoza is permitted (note this is a controlled substance, I am not giving medical advice, just suggesting you speak with your doctor to see if this could be helpful to you).

IMO aside from very high insulin levels, it is preferable to use non-insulin medications (but this is my lay, non medical opinion).
Thank you.

I was on Victoza before so I'm guessing there's a reason he wanted me to use Ozempic. Up until this increased dosage, (a week ago) I was still able to get it...but not this time.

I agree with you on the insulin stuff. Insulin can cause weight gain and that is something I definitely don't need right now.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:42 PM

310 posts, read 322,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
No, doctors were pushing fen-phen before the risks were known.

With more information on the internet now, we are collectively able to make better decisions about what medications we take.
I will stand by my opinion that if Ozempic where widely available at a lower price a lot more people would be taking it. Vanity and desperation compels a lot of people. The people that can afford it are taking it, so logic tells me if it were cheaper more people would be taking it.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:55 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Elon's fat. I mean, that's his business but he is fat. It's like me saying my secret to six pack abs. I'm way too fat to have six pack abs, not as fat as Musk but I could lose 15-20 pounds.

Old 11-16-2022, 09:40 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
[quote=functionofx;64333506]IIRC fen-phen is or was (haven't checked recently) available in many western countries.

A problem in the U.S. is the mentality if one is good, 10 are ten times better. Abuse of fen-phen was likely the cause of it's removal. The same will be true for any inexpensive weight loss medication.

As an example, Medicare does not cover weight loss medications (well not directly).

A high, non insurance covered price, may limit abuse of such drugs in the U.S.[/QUOTE

Both Medicare & Medicaid certainly DO cover Ozempic and the other GLP1 meds. If you meet the medical parameters they are happy to help us lose weight. My Medicare copay is $10. I have lost 25 pounds since 08/09/2022 and had to stop my one BP med as I no longer have HTN...yeah!
I lost and kept off 212 lbs via RNY gastric bypass and walking 10,000 steps every day x 30 yrs. A bad truck accident with back fractures/fusions in 2019 followed by COVID and being homebound x 36 months, I slowly but steadily put on 57 pounds...even eating keto; zero walking. My PCP offered me to try Ozempic and BINGO!! It has totally erased my appetite. I have to eat by timer so I don't get muscle wasting. No other side effects. I choose protein foods over sugary ones. Im hoping that once I get that 57 lbs off I will be able to get back to some form of walking every day. Im thankful to Medicare for paying for it.
My son, age 31, also put on some COVID weight working at home & parked at a computer bank. He was prescribed Wegovy. It is tough finding it...he's awaiting it via Amazon Pharmacy which like all others has it back ordered. BC/BS will be paying for it after his copay.
The more News & social media touts how awesome these meds treat obesity, the bigger the back log will be.

Last edited by mooksmom; 11-16-2022 at 09:50 PM..

Old 11-17-2022, 10:21 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
[quote=mooksmom;64464052]
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
IIRC fen-phen is or was (haven't checked recently) available in many western countries.

A problem in the U.S. is the mentality if one is good, 10 are ten times better. Abuse of fen-phen was likely the cause of it's removal. The same will be true for any inexpensive weight loss medication.

As an example, Medicare does not cover weight loss medications (well not directly).

A high, non insurance covered price, may limit abuse of such drugs in the U.S.[/QUOTE

Both Medicare & Medicaid certainly DO cover Ozempic and the other GLP1 meds. If you meet the medical parameters they are happy to help us lose weight. My Medicare copay is $10. I have lost 25 pounds since 08/09/2022 and had to stop my one BP med as I no longer have HTN...yeah!
I lost and kept off 212 lbs via RNY gastric bypass and walking 10,000 steps every day x 30 yrs. A bad truck accident with back fractures/fusions in 2019 followed by COVID and being homebound x 36 months, I slowly but steadily put on 57 pounds...even eating keto; zero walking. My PCP offered me to try Ozempic and BINGO!! It has totally erased my appetite. I have to eat by timer so I don't get muscle wasting. No other side effects. I choose protein foods over sugary ones. Im hoping that once I get that 57 lbs off I will be able to get back to some form of walking every day. Im thankful to Medicare for paying for it.
My son, age 31, also put on some COVID weight working at home & parked at a computer bank. He was prescribed Wegovy. It is tough finding it...he's awaiting it via Amazon Pharmacy which like all others has it back ordered. BC/BS will be paying for it after his copay.
The more News & social media touts how awesome these meds treat obesity, the bigger the back log will be.
It's not abuse. Wegovy, same drug at a higher dose, is approved specifically for weight loss. Part D is prohibited by law from covering anorexia, weight loss, weight gain drugs. Really that doesn't make much sense as there's a huge amount of costs associated with obesity. The shortages, yeah, are kind of troubling. Ideally it would be going first to diabetics and then made available for obese people and then finally just for people who want to use it off-label. It's not cheap apparently at $800-$1,200 a month. Insurance typically pays a fraction of the quoted price though. Given the cost insurance might be reluctant to cover off-label use, although again since Wegovy is specifically approved for obesity it wouldn't be off-label. I guess the question is what happens if it's successful and you stop taking it or if you'r ejust on the $1,200 a month drug for life.

Old 01-11-2023, 01:30 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Here is a refreshing new tidbit on this repurposed Hollywood drug. Looked it up because some folks at work are taking this and losing weight. People post about this side effect on reddit as well.

https://www.drugs.com/answers/ozempi...s-3537808.html

Old 01-11-2023, 01:33 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Here is a refreshing new tidbit on this repurposed Hollywood drug. Looked it up because some folks at work are taking this and losing weight. People post about this side effect on reddit as well.

https://www.drugs.com/answers/ozempi...s-3537808.html
I never experienced that side effect. Interesting.

Good! I hope some of these people who DON'T really need this medication get off of it so I can fill my prescription. The alternative treatment my doc gave me is nowhere near as effective.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:55 AM

846 posts, read 680,865 times
Celebrities are held to a different standard than regular people.

Elon Musk is fat for celebrity standards, but he's typical by everyday American standards. The majority of Americans are carrying an extra 30-40 lbs.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:18 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I have gained and lost weight, too many times........losing never required any
sort of pills/drugs/potions/prescriptions.

My weight has been stable and close to ideal for a long time.

A bulb popped-up in my head, literally.......well not really, but kinda. I just totally
stopped all binge-eating and overeating and it improved my health a lot, my weight is
not a problem, no more yoyoing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss